PDA

View Full Version : 36 Hours With Foxy

SWANO1
22-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Foxy ,brett and myself set out from mooloolaba thursday morning heading a few hours north looking for some action , after a few stops looking for livies we continued past the hards to put them into play.
It wasn't long before brett blooded his new 950 spinfisher combo on a 11kk aj that had the sweat pissing out of him , a few trag ,pearlies ,parrot, snaps and others and bretts' on again too a horse of a fish this one really had him bent in two for a while on his new found set up , the we all looked down in shock to see a huge qlg groper emerging from the depths and an even bigger shadow behind him , he was jaw gaffed and pulled on board and the foxy motored the boat away from the shark and after a quick photo was vented and released.
things were a bit quiet right up till dark so we set the pick and bedded in for the night that saw the wind a constant 15kts from the north all night.
up before dawn and the small snaps kept coming aboard but this wasn't enough we wanted reds , after a further 20ks north we tried a few shows in the middle of some scuds and water spouts and then we hit a patch of undersize reds on a drift so back up again and said "watch this boys here goes the secret bait , a huge frozen pike from hayes" i slabbed him and the first half scored a 65cm red and foxy chimed in with a similar size on a pillie , back again for drift 3 and bugger me the second half of the pike was crunched and after a short fight on the torque300 a 75cm red hit the box . the bite was over so another rock was tried only to have a nice mahi mahi come to the boat so we teased him with some cut up pillies and then i dropped a jig head with half a pilly in front of it and whammo he hit it and the tussel was on , twice around the boat and with a dozen jumps , over 10kgs of dolly was gaffed , the little rovex aureus 3500 reel was fighting above its weight on a alumina 3-5kg plastics rod but it handled the fight well. a few more fish hit the bin including foxy scoring the best snap around 6 kgish before we called it for the long run home in 15-20 n/easter only to be met at the heads by a awesome looking storm front.

top trip foxy and brett and the laughs really made the heat worth while.
cheers swano

Pistol_P
22-02-2009, 01:57 PM
NICE..!!

Love the pic of the groper and that dollie...:o

Awesome dollie.

Pete

TimiBoy
22-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Experience is everything. Another 20 years I might have a day like that!

Wow, and thanks,

Tim

DALEPRICE
22-02-2009, 02:40 PM
well done boys,
looks like youse had a great trip with a few fish as well
cheers dale

revs57
22-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Scumbag!!! and here I was thinkin youd be working hard while we were setting up and celebrating Jackies b'day. By the way, Woody reckons ya ugly!!!!

cheers

Rhys

jarhead
22-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Awesome stuff, well worth the k's.

Wal

Tim_N
22-02-2009, 03:58 PM
Awesome storm shot, time to get home asap.
Tim

wags on the water
22-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for you report Swano. Now Tim THAT'S a Dollie!
Well done to the crew with some great fishing.

Cheers,
Wags

skipalong
22-02-2009, 05:01 PM
nice fish foxy, by the sounds a few where caught out with that storm

cheers justin

nautical prince
22-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Great fish there mate how many ks did you end up doing and what size boat have ya got as im thinkin of a mission like that soon
cheers lenny

dfox
22-02-2009, 05:43 PM
We sure had an interesting trip Swano even if we nearly killed poor Brett on that spinfisher.. He performed well above his line class on that gear.
Talk about hot out there, it was nearly unbearable. Lucky the fish kept us occupied or we would have melted in the heat.
Thanks for the feed of red emperor last night .. foxy

dfox
22-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Great fish there mate how many ks did you end up doing and what size boat have ya got as im thinkin of a mission like that soon
cheers lenny

Lenny, i havent checked the total k's traveled but it will be around 400. 7 meter boat ... foxy

wak69
22-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Great work guys, it seems like you have to travel further these days for a great feed of reefies, great pics

cheers sam...

Voltzy
22-02-2009, 07:32 PM
swano, that big red is cover shot material;D

what outfit did ya get that on?

SWANO1
22-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the feed of red emperor last night .. foxy

musta been good for ya to leave ya fav hat for payment;D

Fishing_Freddy
22-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Great looking catch well done guys
Ken :beer:

Angla
22-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Envious. That's all

Chris

dfox
22-02-2009, 08:25 PM
musta been good for ya to leave ya fav hat for payment;D

It will self destruct if you touch it ;D ...

jtpython
22-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Thats would have been an awesome trip guys and the photo's are great
JT

swano
23-02-2009, 02:53 PM
thanks for the replies everyone , certainly was a lot of miles covered but with foxy on the job he will always sniff out the quality spots and fish then its up to us to boat em ;D
cheers swano

Captain Seaweed
23-02-2009, 06:49 PM
nice fish fellas. How many k's did you end up doing? The hards is out a fair bit, how much further did you guys head out?

swano
24-02-2009, 09:04 AM
nice fish fellas. How many k's did you end up doing? The hards is out a fair bit, how much further did you guys head out?

captain seaweed
we would have covered over 400ks without a doubt , at one stage i think we were part way up fraser and around 45k offshore :o
cheers swano

Nic
24-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Pfft, heat shmeet! ::) Nice work guys, some great fish there... I have never seen anyone bring in a groper that big. Did it swim away OK? With some of our bigger cod we've had to use a Release Weight as well as as Vent-Rite, buggers just don't seem to want to go down.

I'll be in Bris next month Foxy, if the weather's good I might try to scab a trip! Gotta get photos for mags other than B&B, its only fair! ;D

nautical prince
24-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Lenny, i havent checked the total k's traveled but it will be around 400. 7 meter boat ... foxy
wow thats a big effort but like they say do tha miles and watch tha smiles