PDA

View Full Version : Water in my bilge? o_O

Chamelion
22-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Hi all,

Trying to work out why I'm still getting water in under the floor.

She's a fibreglass boat with what I believe it a sealed floor (I cant see any visible way for water to get in there). An ispection port was recently put in when I had hull repairs done, but it's right up behind the front seats and water tends to pool in the back of the boat (whilst tubing, anyone climbing in obviously dumps litres of water onto the floor in the back).

Any ideas? It's doing my head in!

frankgrimes
22-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Checked that your bung(s) are sealing properly?

If nothing visible, you can always put the hose inside the boat with touch of colored dye, and see where she's leaking...did this with my old tinnie, and found the culprit immediately.

Mick

Chamelion
22-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Bungs are a possibility, I recently replaced them with some new ones that seem a bit harder to screw in. I re-used the same O rings that were on the last set to replace the flat rings which were on the new ones when I bought them.

Perhaps the simplest answer is the correct one, I hope so.

Cheers :)

Matt.

finga
22-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Also check the holes are sealed where the bungs are that drain the floor.
Sometimes they just drill holes thrugh the transom for the bungs and a cavity is evident between the wood of the transom and the layers of fiberglass.
I actually made a doodad a couple of years ago that lets you pressurize the underfloor bit to see if there are any leaks.
Found this problem more then 3 times so I look there first now.
Your welcome to borrow it if it would help
Cheers Scott :)

Marlin_Mike
22-02-2009, 02:58 PM
is that the doodad that goes with a funny story regarding poodroo or scalem or someone?

i remember a story that goes with its invention.........you got a link to that story finga????????????????????????

finga
22-02-2009, 03:42 PM
is that the doodad that goes with a funny story regarding poodroo or scalem or someone?

i remember a story that goes with its invention.........you got a link to that story finga????????????????????????
Yeah, that's the one.
I'm a bugger sometimes.
Some might even say I'm a b@st@rd. Actually a lot say that... :-[
At least I had a giggle. More like a http://www.smileyhut.com/laughing/rofl.gif actually
I'll see if I can find it.

finga
22-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Found it
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=107155

Marlin_Mike
22-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Sorry if i high jacked the thread but.............LMFAO thats still funny even all this time after the event LOL

Mike

Chamelion
24-02-2009, 12:27 PM
On the back of the transom down the bottom I noticed what looked like a scratch... I thumped it a few times and there was a little bit of moisture showing... I covered it with a bit of silicon and took the boat out for 5+ hours and not a drop came out when I got the boat on the trailer... Having said that, I think I've found another problem and not the source of my wet bilge. The 'scratch' is way too small to account for that much water.
I've removed the silicone and will see how it goes on the next run.

It seems that the water IS getting from inside the boat to under the floor as it seems to only happen when people are getting in and out of the boat soaking wet. I'll do what I can to seal the bung holes and will test it out next time.

Cheers,

Matt.

Chamelion
27-02-2009, 04:00 PM
Was using the boat today, plenty of water finding its way onto the floor. Turned out to be that the new bung (singular) needed to be tightened with pliers otherwise it doesn't seal well enough.
The bung that was at fault today was in one of the holes through to the floor, whilst tubing it was in the hole that goes through to the bilge. There was a TINY bit of water in the bilge today, probably sloshed up through the carpet and down through the inspection port each time I stopped.

Matt.