PDA

View Full Version : What Bolts for trailer coupling

Stuart
22-02-2009, 10:54 AM
I need to know what type and hardiness bolts for my trailer coupling. The whole rig will weigh in around 2.5 tonnes and I can’t find any good info as to what make of bolt or hardness to bolt the coupling on with. I have rang a few different trailer mobs and each one gives a different recommendation from mild steel to high tensile bolts. Now I’m leaning towards stainless steel bolts because if they bend a bit they will harden, mild steel would be second but high tensile I worry about because they will just snap.

Stu

danielw
22-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Don't use mild steel or stainless.Use high tensile bolts.High tensile won't snap under the load you propose.Thats why they are called high tensile-high tensile strength.Your only option.

FNQCairns
22-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes high tensile, without doubt.

cheers fnq

Spaniard_King
22-02-2009, 11:29 AM
Stu

Use Nuthing but High Tensile minimum grade 8.8 If you use anything else there is a 99% chance you will void your insurance in the event of an accident. Can't quote the actual Australian Standard but it would equired 8.8 as a minimum.

Mild steel are too soft.. poor strength
Stainless if they come loose will work harden and become brittle.. snapp very easilly.

Stuart
22-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks heaps guys.

Stu