PDA

View Full Version : Trim Tilt failure

Dignity
22-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Went to go offshore yesterday (cloudy day, no wind, very litle swell) and just my luck I couldn't raise the motor. It is a 150hp Merc 1991 V6 model. The solenoids were clicking in and out but there was no noise from the motor that drives the hydraulics and the wires were definately getting hot after a couple of tries.
The question is, how do I raise the outboard manually so that I can get at the motor. I saw a plug in the side of the motor bracket that looked like it would release the hydraulic oil but I was worried that that still might not do the trick.

Any one got a manual for this motor that they no longer need and willing to donate/sell to me.

Angla
22-02-2009, 08:37 AM
I think you are looking for a big flat screw that when loosened will allow the oil to bypass the valve mechanisms and therefore allow for a heavy lift mechanically.

Chris

Dignity
22-02-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks Chris, I've attached a photo of the bracket and the big flat plug/screw that I think we are both talking about. I wasn't sure if I released the oil by unscrewing this plug whether it would work, are the hydraulic systems a 2 stage affair that means when all the oil is drained you can lift the motor up and down.

Steeler
22-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi Dignity.

The one in the pic is to relieve the pressure in the system.I can if you wish to send me an e-mail at smlewis1@bigpond.com.au i will e-mail you back the section in PDF the pages covering this system with the internal rams.

Happy to help

Cheers

Steve

Dignity
22-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Thanks steve, have sent you my email.

Adivad
22-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Hi dignity

just been through a similar problem where the buttons produced a click but nothing happened. Turned out to be a problem with the relay assembley, a small box with 6 threaded terminals had to be replaced.The part cost $350. This was on a Yamaha, maybe yours is different.
Hope it's cheaper

Cheers
Dave

Dignity
23-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Dave, the relay wasn't obvious when I looked at it (at least not after the solenoids) and as I had bypassed the solenoids altogether with the positive negative supply and I had followed the wiring down to the TT motor I am now guessing that it is the motor. Steve emailed me some docs and I am about to start my adventure in pulling the thing apart.

Dignity
24-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Ok - have tested the hydarulic motor as per the instructions Steve emailed me, they were a great help, now all I have to do is get the thing apart and buy some new parts.

Steeler
24-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi
I see you are gettin down to the nitty gritty of it all.You can use this website www.usboatsupply.com (http://www.usboatsupply.com) to check part numbers.It's a wonderful source for blown up diagrams from manuals and a table of part numbers including any superceded or nla parts.

I could't imagine Merc or Mariner owners checking it out too often !!!!!!!!!!!.

Just kidding all you OMC owners.

Cheers

Steve

Dignity
25-02-2009, 06:28 AM
Steve, that is one hell of a site - many many thanks.

Oh! just had a look at the prices ($US I presume).

Steeler
25-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi

Yeh US $ but a lot of it is genuine Merc Q/silver parts,but at least having the part number means you can browse through US e-bay and find a bargian or just google the part number and several retailers in the states will appear in your results.Even with the AUS $ not that crash hot at present its still not hard to source a bargian o/seas especially with big ticket items like the pump/motor you are having issues with.

Cheers

Steve

Dignity
26-02-2009, 04:30 PM
It seems it isn't that easy to get the pump and motor out, has anyone done this before and got some hints,