PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Jack in 120ft of water and a few other nice species.

The BeaR
22-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Hi All...

Having the weatherman predicting variable winds for the next few days, we were more than ready to get into some good fishing. We had a young fella, Peter, up from Brisbane that we had promised to take fishing over 12 months ago and finally the opportunity was here, so he was pretty excited as well.
Thursday was the first of the variable wind days so we weren’t taking any chances, the gear was prepared the night before and we were off the next morning to the offshore waters of Bundaberg. And what a trip, it was the smoothest 30miles of water we have ever travelled.
Once we arrived at the spot, we rigged up with 7” Gulp on 3/4oz jigheads and sent them down into the depths of 120ft of water. Up in these areas, it’s a little different to the waters down Cape Moreton way. The main difference is that most of the fish seem to come from off the bottom rather than the midwater. All the basic techniques of soft-plastics still work the same, but I believe up here the jighead weights need to be kept heavy enough, depending on current etc., to keep the lure on the bottom.
Between us two main techniques were used. The first was to cast upcurrent and keep the bailarm open, letting the soft-plastic sink, then once on the bottom start a slow erratic retrieve. The second technique was to fish the side of the boat where the SP can be dropped straight down, drifting away from the boat. Once on the bottom, the plastic can be shaken or hopped as well as short lifts of the rod, making sure to open the bail arm when needed to keep the lure on the bottom. As you can see there is a lot of emphasis on keeping the lure on the bottom. Nearly all of our fish were caught with these techniques using S10’s, as this is the style of fishing that this rod has been specifically dezigned to do. They were matched to Daiwa Certate 4000’s spooled with 40lb Braid and 60lb Wind-on leaders.
One thirty PM saw us heading home as we had caught more than enough fish and the wind was said to change in the arvo, so we cruised around in glassed out conditions till around 3pm chasing Mackerel and Tuna for which we caught more than we could possibly have imagined. The spotty mackerel were in such big schools that they created foam on the surface in their feeding frenzy. Every toss of the plastic was either picked up or followed by at least half a dozen fish. It was a great day.
Friday saw us staying home due to a dark cloud overhead in the morning and a breeze that wasn’t quite as light as predicted so we didn’t want to risk a bad day. But the wind died out to nothing in the arvo and it was decided that a short day out playing with the mackerel again would be fun for Saturday.
So this morning we were off and again we were blessed with zero wind so we headed out to a spot a little closer off Bundaberg again to wait for the mackerel to show up. While waiting we drift fished an area that produced a bonus of two nice scarlets on a double hook-up.
Once the tide turned, within an hour the birds were spotted working the surface, so we set off and enjoyed the rest of the day catching and releasing mackerel.
All in all it was two of the best days fishing we have had for a long while and best of all young Peter got to enjoy the experience, catching many species for the first time.

Eric&Deb...

Callop
22-02-2009, 12:52 AM
Good on you, Eric and Deb for sharing the joy of fishing with Peter. I'm sure he will remember that for a long time to come.
Dave

wags on the water
22-02-2009, 02:03 AM
Thanks for the detailed report Eric. Sounds like a lot of good fishing with great company.

Cheers,
Wags

eotbmg
22-02-2009, 05:32 AM
Hey guys
Well done
Sounds like the fishing has been firing up your way!!
Those snapper are great quality also.
How hard did the jack go compared to the other species?
Cheers
Ben

Angla
22-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the elaborate report.

Just a question on the snapper. I thought they would not be that far north. Who here knows roughly how far north you would catch them?

The pictures are also top notch

Chris

TimiBoy
22-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Happy days! Nice hunting, I'm jealous, after how hard we had to work on Friday.

Cheers,

Tim

dayoo
22-02-2009, 06:59 AM

Just a question on the snapper. I thought they would not be that far north. Who here knows roughly how far north you would catch them?

Chris

Queensland Fisheries regard Baffle Creek (just south of Agnes Waters) as the northern limit of snapper however at certain times of the year snapper can be caught as far north as Gladstone.

Cheers
Barry

whatscracken
22-02-2009, 08:12 AM
In an issue of the QFM had a report of them being caught in Mackay.

hookinin
22-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Awesome stuff guys and thanks for the report and pics
Cheers Gaven

skipalong
22-02-2009, 11:40 AM
awesome read eric and some top fish

well done

justin...

WestOzDesertFisher
22-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Awesome report, awesome fish and awesome conditions. Got to be happy with that.

jtpython
22-02-2009, 12:01 PM
We get a few here at times to ............Mostly in winter but we have gotten some in the summer months in the deeper water.
Nice fishing guys
JT

Steve B
22-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Chris

Hey Eric and Deb,

Well done mate. Thurs was a spectacular day on the water hey!!

Cheers
Steve

Chris,
On thurs we got about 8 snapper (4-7kg) off 1770!!!
Lost a few more to sharks!!!:-[

FISHAWN
22-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Fantastic report mate, one of the best i have read in a while, thanks for sharing your techniques.

SWANO1
22-02-2009, 02:06 PM
great report yet again eric , they were awesome conditions out the the last few days , bout bloody time ehh, have enclosed a few action shots of a recent trip with birdy's bear he lent me to match up with the new ryobi safari jigging reel bought in by penn aus , if you need the high res shots give me a holler
cheers swano

warti
22-02-2009, 07:21 PM
How far can you flick a 3/4 head with the S10 and are you happy with the rod? Thanks and good fish.

wak69
22-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I always look forward to your reports eric, great stuff...

cheers sam...

The BeaR
22-02-2009, 11:00 PM
thanks for the replies everyone.
Angla...Can't help you with how for north exactly but what I can tell you is that they have a pretty sweet snapper fishery during the cooler months here in Hervey Bay and ther are some quality fish caught.
Ben...Unlike estuary Jacks that do go hard, to give you an idea, I'd say a pearl perch of the same size would give a better account of itself. As soon as I put the hook in this fish it gave up, but he was only a small specimen.
Steve...Good to here you a getting out into the big blue stuff a little. Eight great fish...well done. Keep the family in fish fillets for a short while. Will have to catch up again soon mate.
Swano...Yeah mate the weather hasn't been real kind to anyone lately. Good to see you got make good use of a couple of days also. Nice fish with Poppa BeaR there, might see you about the photos for our website if that's ok.
Warti...Mate 3/4oz jighead with 7" plastic, total weight 40g. I use a Saltiga 4500 or Certate 4000's on the S10's, these reels are spooled with saltiga PE3 jigging braid which is coloured every 10mtrs so I know exactly how far I flick a plastic. Usually it depends on the depth of water that I am fishing, but to get that lure out 7 colour changes or 70mtrs is quite easy for me. Fishing with big plastics is what I love to do, so I dezigned and built the S10 so it was capable of doing everything I needed it to do.
Sam...If this weather played the game a little nicer, we'd be able to put a lot more reports up. I must admit I wouldn't be complaining about that. I'm glad you enjoyed the read.

Eric&Deb...

Frank OO
26-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Hi Eric and Deb,

I can't believe I missed your post. Maybe it is the fact that you guys are always working and don't have much time to enjoy that fantastic fishery you have on your doorstep.

I have been studying all the latest fishing rules that come into effect this weekend but I don't think you have to worry about the minimum size too much. You may have to consider the number of those monsters though.

Looks like you had a great time out in the Bay.

I am hoping to go out and try my new BeaR Essential on the weekend. I love the new guides. I can finally have an "Egrell with Bling".

Good to see you getting out and catching something other than those boring 120cm Barramundi..

Frank OO

Xtreme
27-02-2009, 07:29 PM
Hi Eric & Deb,

Great to see you able to get out amongst the reefies, you've certainly managed to wire the place pretty quickly and as always, share the little things that make a big difference with us all. Looks like I need to plan a few days mid week into my schedule.;D ;D

Cheers, Steve

dkbikes
10-03-2009, 07:30 PM
nice fish mate looks like you had a great day,

brisboys
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Great stuff there guys, thanks for the pics! really good stuff

Sam

Spot82
23-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Were you fishing the southern gutters? If so I think we were fishing near you on the same day, 625 Cruisecraft and there was another boat anchored up there as well, I think a haines.

Well done on the catch they are some awesome fish especially on plastics, the scarlets can be finicky to catch and have always thought they wouldn't go much for plastics, but well done for proving that theory wrong!

bicko1
28-03-2009, 01:00 AM
in winter we catch snapper in mackay

jarhead
28-03-2009, 09:10 AM
Congrats on what looked like an awesome trip and some nice fish, cheers for the read.

Wal

Chris_2184
30-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Queensland Fisheries regard Baffle Creek (just south of Agnes Waters) as the northern limit of snapper however at certain times of the year snapper can be caught as far north as Gladstone.

Cheers
Barry

I've caught snapper 25mile out from Stanage Bay, was Easter Weekend last year to be exact;D Caught 3 in total, they went 9kg, 7kg and 6kg if I remember correctly