PDA

View Full Version : SWEET Weather Pattern

Angla
21-02-2009, 05:10 PM
Wow what a night. Ryan and I went to go to the Barwon Banks, leaving 3.30 friday afternoon and stay overnight.
I had seen the seabreeze weather predictions change from 3 knotts to 9 knotts earlier in the afternoon and I queried the guy at the Kawana bait shop as to his localised thoughts. He said it should be alright at the banks as the weather there is more related to Double island. So with this in mind and a feel for safety it was a safer choice to move up to Coolum (Close to shore) just incase.
Fishing aside as it was more of a chess match than fishing time. We decided to move further North and have the storm pass us on the southern side.

The storm did not play by the rules set out and it met us as we reached Sunshine reefs and anchored up just off 2 other fellow fishers. The rain started rather steady at first and made the seas uncomfortable with the rain pushing in under the canopy from the rear. We sat this out for about 30 minutes as a phone call home reassured us it may pass in 1/2 hour. Life jackets were donned as a precaution only but the rain only got heavier to a point where it seemed to settle the ocean down considerably then gusty winds would stir it all up again.

Remember the two fellow fishers, well, they upped anchor and hightailed towards Noosa as soon as we arrived so I scanned the radio for local traffic and heard them fumbling in the heavy conditions and asked if I could hook up with them if they were going to cross the Noosa bar. They agreed and we made our way towards them with the bow mounted search light and christmas tree of other lights. Hooking up with the first boat and then eventually the second boat at Jew Shoal found us in calm conditions with moderate to heavy rains and it was decided to not cross the bar but wait the storm out. I still had contact with home and was told that the cell had appeared to have joined with another and become stationary over our position so I advised the others of this and it was shuteye at around 10.00 fo us.

It was hard to sleep with the rain and then gusty winds cycling into the night so I got up and dropped a line only to find a multitude of fish ( mostly undersize) including various cod and a red emporer. Then the sweeties came along and Ryan and I accounted for 5 keepers to 3 Kilo and a Maori cod for good measure. That made sleeping a little easier as I thought of anyone that had stayed out at The Banks.

The morning looked to be beaut conditions but they soon turned a little sour with uncomfortable travelling all day and no extra fish to the tally.

Isn't fishing great though as I enjoyed the company of Ryan who kept a cool head in the very trying and a little frightening conditions.

Lets do it all again Ryan

Sorry this was more of a weather report

Good to meet Chris aka Spiro at the ramp on our return only to find out he had spent the night out at Barwon Banks.

Chris

Ps. Sorry you missed the trip Mick (Trueblue)

Just added a couple of pics from Ryan's camera of a longtom picked up by Ryan while we were travelling slowly during the afternoon and the 3 kilo sweetlip caught on a Longtom fillet

TimiBoy
21-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I reckon you'll sleep well tonight. We came in just in time, and got poured on at the ramp. Thankfully!

Cheers,

Tim

hookinin
21-02-2009, 08:51 PM
Good to se a safe return did spiro say what the banks were like.
Gaven

skipalong
21-02-2009, 09:55 PM
not much happening on the bank

justin...

Angla
22-02-2009, 06:07 AM
Gaven, Spiro did not elaborate too much but it sounded like it was not a pretty place to be. Apparently the wind went ballistic out there.

Chris

-spiro-
22-02-2009, 08:31 AM
THINGS THAT COME TO MIND ON THIS TRIP
rough as guts
dose lightning get attracted to alloy, wheres my thongs
anchore rope just snapped{16mm silver rope} f@#k my MLBA PICK
plotter just sh!t itself

The current was that bad between 5.30pm-5am a 12 barrel wouldn't even hit the ground in 35m of water.
There are redthroats in plague proportion out there at the momment. The problem is there all between 30-35cm. I haven't seen them in 70m of water before but there there now out there on the eastern side of the Banks.
We still got over 20 keepers but below average catch for out there.
There are alot of marlin out there at the momment, we saw 4 free jumpers at the 18 mile.
Good to catch up at the ramp with Angla. We will have to organize a trip out when Mick gets back.

It was a SH!T trip but allways better than staying at home wishing i was fishing

Angla
22-02-2009, 08:43 AM
Chris, That is a bloody big list of $hitty things to happen in 1 trip. As far as the trip with Mick goes, he is a magnet for poor weather when he is available on weekends. Bring it on I say.

Fish and chips with a side salad for tea tonight.

Chris

jtpython
22-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Not a good trip for the waether mie hey ...........I looked on the weather radar to see youse were coping some down your way before we left to go out on our trip
The fish made up for it thou
JT

Angla
22-02-2009, 08:34 PM
jt, I forgot how good sweetlip tastes and the memory of the trip has nearly faded.

Chris

brisryan
22-02-2009, 09:50 PM
Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting some pics, even with not the best weather I still had an excellent time.
It's always a pleasure to go out with you mate.

Thanks again Chris,

Regards,

Ryan

Sidewayz
23-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Chris, I see you are up to your old tricks of leaving work early on a friday afternoon. We got up to Coolum around 4am on saturday for magical conditions (apart from it being overcast) with the wind only starting to blow late mid morning. Picked up a few bottom fish, some tuna and a nice little spaniard. Should try to organise a trip in the not to distant future.

Cheers

Dave

Angla
23-02-2009, 09:36 PM
David, The work van has to be serviced some time, so play time was called. I thought you had given fishing away.

Chris

Sidewayz
24-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Could never give fishing away mate. Picked up the new rig around April last year (was without a boat for a while there) and have had some good trips since. Even towed it up to FNQ in Septmeber last year for a month.

If you're ever looking for a second boat just let us know...

Cheers

Dave