PDA

View Full Version : Big shark give us a nudge on the banks

hookinin
21-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Late decision was made Thursday morning to go for a fish so headed out to the banks from Mooloolaba at 9.00am with paul and dad on board. seems funny heading out so late but just keen to be on the water. Arrived and started getting fish on the first drift but most of them undersize red throat(30-37.5cm) and coral bream coming up on every drop. Mixed in was a few legal mixed reefies so started putting some in the esky each drift then anchored up on a good show. Same story at anchor until started losing them to a large shark. Had a coulpe of moves but obviously not far enough as it kept turning up. We race some to top with it close behind until it decided to bury its head between the motors and give us a shove. Don't know if it was annoyed, had a itchy nose but his head didn't go close to fitting between the motors. Paul was standing on the back step at the time but soon got back over into the boat after that. Anyway we didn't see him again seems he had his little hissy fit and move on. By 5.30 we had a nice feed so decided to travel home in the daylight for a change. trip home was a bit sloppy but still able to travel at 22-24 knots. Included a photo of the fish after paul had taken his fish.
Cheers Gaven

aerordauto
21-02-2009, 08:50 AM
hello gavin there is some nice colour in that photo and good to see u get out there.
i am out of action with the cat until mid march as it is getting pods done and twin 200hp.
cheers mark

tailorboi99
21-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Great report mate, nice tusky too he's a big one.

Tom

Pistol_P
21-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Some nice colour there Gaven,

Good to meet ya today too.8-)

Pete

seapup
21-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice work, what sort of Shark? I heard of a big White a few years back chewing on a local fellas outboard on the southern Hards. He wont ever go out there again after that reckons it was freaky!

Angla
21-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Looks like you did pretty well with the variety. Nice colourful pic. Big sharks tend to give me a bit of new found faith in the safety of the boat.

I am sure the shark condition will pass after time

Chris

hookinin
21-02-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey Mark i called into the workshop on a weekend 3 or 4 weeks ago but the bloke said you were fishing. The boats going to be a weapon with pods and 200's.
Yeah good to put a face to the posts Pete.
Don't Know what sort of shark but looked the wrong colour and to broad across the nose for a white. I like being on and in the water to much for a shark to stop me going out and they are great to watch even though they seem to pick your best fish.

skipalong
21-02-2009, 09:51 PM
nice work gaven was good to catch up

cheers justin

jackson4300
21-02-2009, 10:33 PM
Mate did an overnight, back 5pm this afternoon. Very very similar colours in our esky to, them RT's and coral bream were everywhere, everywhere on the banks.... Worst sharks we got were the gummy sort :P

Fishing_Freddy
22-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Well done on your catch. What were you using for bait?
Cheers
Ken :beer:

hookinin
22-02-2009, 10:19 AM
yeah justin but would have been better if i was also on the water aswell.
Jackson4300 we ended up with four keeper RT's but threw back what seemed to be hundreds undersize.
Ken, we had a few mullet fillets to get started on and the use coral bream after that. If you're not catching coral bream at this time of year on the banks you are using to big a hook IMO. But if you like the bigger hooks just get a bait jig with between number 18-22 hooks and put a little bait on them and you'll have multiple coral bream and some good fish at the same time.
Gaven

goggles
22-02-2009, 12:05 PM
good catch there, just wondering what the fish with the yellow stripes r on the left of ur photo between the snapper and the tusky. Thanks Wayne

hookinin
22-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Fusilier or Bananafish we consider them to be in the mother in-law category

Plumb-Ezy74
22-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Gaven
Nice to meet you at the ramp yesterday looks like a good trip, must have been a big shark if the head didn't fit between the motors.
Scott