PDA

View Full Version : Weird off gold coast

plastic_paul
20-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Went out this morning from the southport seaway, headed to mermaid first up had a bit of a troll for 45mins then headed to palmy, a few tuna busting up, 4 hook ups 0 boated.
then spotted an upturned vessel in the water, a bit bizzare, no one around. Still havent figured it out yet but the vmr were soon there.

headed back up to mermaid for a troll and bottom fish for little results ony rock cod and another sort of cod.
headed out wider to around 40mtrs and had a couple of good hits but no takers>:( did this all the way back to seaway and kept going north, found a few schools of small mack tuna, probably got about 30 all up, all released.42344

frankgrimes
20-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow - Interesting to hear what happened to the boat...conditions didn't look that bad out there.....obviously "something" else happened.

Should of kept few of the mac tuna for bait mate! Or trolled as livies!

Leighton
20-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Looks like a Trail Craft
The Tuna would have been fun

plastic_paul
20-02-2009, 06:53 PM
yeah we did troll a few, for about 30mins to 1hr but it was already near 12, they swam off at the end.... tuna were tiny, about 35-50cm

tailorboi99
20-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Damm that;s alot of money gone there.... Good work on the tuna!

Tom

Mad-One
20-02-2009, 06:58 PM
There's a small story here
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/20/2497131.htm?site=goldcoast

Mad

plastic_paul
20-02-2009, 07:11 PM
it did look new, but how did it capsise? it was about a kilometer offshore bugger all swell and like a pond...... atleast everyone is ok...

vertico
20-02-2009, 07:16 PM
forgot the bungs probably

Heath
20-02-2009, 09:16 PM
agree with Vertico

Skusto
20-02-2009, 09:23 PM
expensive mistake that would be. first time out in it and u sink it.. :( no good was quiet today we didnt have much luck over at moreton just got steamed trained by 2 big pelagics i would say couldnt stop one from spooling me on a wreck we were fishing!

dreemon
21-02-2009, 06:30 AM
I was out of the seaway too, saw a rescue boat heading that way, I'd agree with the bungs out aswell and without some boating experence they wouldn't have known to just start driving it back to let the water out,

still cant figure why it was upside down???? no floatation at all?

I caught nothing:-[, nothing at all, never saw a fish, only thing I could do was feed them, actually 3 days of making an effort and no joy,

getting back into surfing at least i'll be able to catch something ;)

gofishin
21-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Pressed side sheets and flat bottom sheets, you could be right Leighton though hard to tell from that shot. I would assume you are right too vertigo.

Whatever the reason, just goes to show why most standards exclude the two largest air chambers for flotation determination. If you only have one large flotation chamber, and water can get in and the air out, it won't be too long until there is insufficient buoyancy for the vessel to remain upright. 'Positive buoyancy' i.e. foam flotation is a good thing, especially the right type of foam.