PDA

View Full Version : Tuna and spaniard

BLOOEY
20-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Got up at 2:30 this morning for a weary drive up the sunny coast. On the water by 4:00 and and awesome sunrise. Motored to the close reefs and found a shitload of bait but nothing harrassing them on the surface. Sank a slug below them and cranked it back to be whalloped and losing heaps of line but alas all went slack straightened hook(bugger). Some surface action began and i threw on a skipping popper had it skipping nicely back to the boat when a massive explosion of water engulfed it (big longtail) only for all to go slack again. Wound in to find no popper no leader and no double (bugger).

With things not going my way my mate suggested a troll with some minnows. One circuit of the bait and he's into a nice fish, spaniard was the call and i sunk the gaff in. Happy as a pig in $hit to get one in the boat.

Found a heap of striped tuna feeding and scored a few of them. One of which i was fighting when i felt a thud. I then wound in 1/2 a tuna. Very clean diagonal slice. Am thinking possibly a big spaniard?

The rest of the morning was spent catching mack tuna and more stripeys.
Bloody nice way to spend half a day. Ben

skipalong
20-02-2009, 06:43 PM
awesome work mate

that spaniard that hit that tuna would have been worth seeing its a big bait

cheers justin

RAT-KING
20-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Wat an awesome session!!!
how cool is that half tuna???
Cheers Simon

plastic_paul
20-02-2009, 06:59 PM
nice one, that half one is sick! we had a session down here a couple of weeks ago.

BLOOEY
20-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Yeah the half tuna spun me out also. I caught a maccy about the same size , put him out live on some wire and towed it around the the area for a while but nada. Ben

vertico
20-02-2009, 08:14 PM
wahoo perhaps
sean

Pistol_P
20-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Onya Ben,

Good slicing on that stripey..!!....;D

Pete

Benno1
20-02-2009, 10:18 PM
nice work!!!...glad you guys got out and caught a decent feed...cheers for the piccies and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

sleepygreg
20-02-2009, 11:51 PM
Would have my money on a Wahoo...cut is too clean for anything else. What a top day on the water. Well done guys.

Greg