PDA

View Full Version : Hot bite on "Alexander"

dayoo
20-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Time for a few fillets as the freezer has been empty for the past month due to no offshore trips since before Christmas. Pepi and Sasho have been working their rings off and with good weather predicted for Thursday the boys didn't need too much convincing to take out the weapon "Alexander" from hibernation for a quick trip.

We left Mooloolaba about 6.30am yesterday with 4 on board. Unfortunately Frank the fishing machine, a regular on "Alexander" has lost his spot as he had a falling out with Pepi and has been replaced by Goran the fishing professor. We were accompanied by fellow Ausfish member Nautical Prince who was with two mates on a 6.4 metre barcrusher.

The seas were very good with hardly any wind and gentle 1 metre swells. We cruised out sitting on a comfortable 30knots with the barcrusher following.

Arrived at first set of marks and pulled a few squire around 40cm and one decent snapper about 3kg but by lunchtime we had only 14 fish on board so moved further north about 3kms to a mark that yielded good snapper early last year. Dropped anchor and for the next 30 minutes it was a hot bite period with good Maori cod, parrot and moses perch coming over the side in quick succession. The weather was hot humid and I had to stop fishing for a while as my forearms cramped up as I didn't drink enough water.:-[

Our tandem fishing mates on the barcrusher were anchoured about 400 metres away and were also pulling fish.

The wind then changed direction and moved us off the mark resulting in a dramatic decrease in the bite. Over the next hour we managed to boat some more squire, hussar, rosy jobfish, gold spot wrass and two southern fusaliers before we decided to move and look for some decent snapper but couldn't find the buggers.

By 5pm the heat had taken its toll and as we had enough fish in the eskys a joint decision was made not to wait for the evening snapper session and both boats headed back to Mooloolaba. The seas on the way back were sloppy with many holes and speed bumps.

Total catch was 52 fish between 4 of us. The attached pic was taken this morning but does not include Goran's share which he took home last night.

Cheers
Barry

gpspathy
20-02-2009, 05:23 PM
The Fishing Professor! Sounds good.;D ;D ;D ;D

skipalong
20-02-2009, 06:40 PM
always producing the goods

cheers justin

backlash08
20-02-2009, 07:33 PM
good one Barry, thanks for the report and I do like that boat
cheers - Craig

Fishbait
20-02-2009, 07:53 PM
Your freezer is full now after that lot. Beautiful boat. You folk north of the barwon banks. Darren.

Benno1
20-02-2009, 10:33 PM
great day out Barry...im glad the weather gods played nice for you all...im loving your boat...very VERY nice!!!...cheers for the picces and report :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

hookinin
20-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Hey Barry
I also got my boat out for the first time in a long time and did a quick run to the banks, but we got away a little late. Might have been you guys a little to the south of us. I'll post a report tomorrow night.
Cheers Gaven

seapup
21-02-2009, 06:13 AM
Good to see you getting into them again Barry!
Cheers,
Benny.

aerordauto
21-02-2009, 08:39 AM
nice catch and good to see some reefies coming on
thanks for the report.
cheers mark

realweapon
22-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Nice report Bazza can't wait for the next trip. Sasho

-spiro-
22-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Baz i saw the beast under tow on thursday morning going up the bruce at burpengary. I was thinking at the time you bast#rds i got to wait till the next morning to go.lol
Sweet looking boat under tow mate.

nautical prince
22-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Nice report bazza thanks for the tips on the swivells mate you guys done very well our numbers should have been better but Jamie had to catch up on sleep while we were out and mised the bite sesion

dayoo
22-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Spiro,

You picked the wrong day. We had no current for most of Thursday but looks like it started to run by Friday morning. Still got sore arms from cramping up while pulling up one of the maori cod. Next time salt tablet and plenty of water will be the go.

Cheers
Barry

dayoo
22-02-2009, 11:21 AM
Lenny,

Nice to have met you and the boys. Next time when the snapper move onto the marks Jamie won't have time to sleep.

Cheers
Barry

lethal098
23-02-2009, 12:59 PM
barry, another quality haul from alexander, well done cheers Lethal