PDA

View Full Version : yamaha 50hp.. air filter?

Chamelion
20-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi all,

I've been going over my motor today and I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have an air filter. The black plastic air box has nothing in it at all... Should it?

I also noticed that inside the middle carby behind the butterlfly valve there appears to be a little bit of damage. Is this likely to be a problem? Some form of black metal has come away exposing the shiny silver metal behind it..

Sorry if it's a little hard to understand, I'll take a photo later :)

Cheers,

Matt.

Dan5
20-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Hi all,

I've been going over my motor today and I've noticed that it doesn't seem to have an air filter. The black plastic air box has nothing in it at all... Should it?

I also noticed that inside the middle carby behind the butterlfly valve there appears to be a little bit of damage. Is this likely to be a problem? Some form of black metal has come away exposing the shiny silver metal behind it..

Sorry if it's a little hard to understand, I'll take a photo later :)

Cheers,

Matt.

Mate i have the 60hp yammie.........No air filter.........i don't know of any

outboards that have ever come with an air filter.........just the plastic box.........Up here in the N.T we cover our engine cowling vent's when travelling on dirt roads to prevent the dust getting into the engine.

As for the little bit of metal........you'd have to post up a picture to give us a better understanding of what's going on..........maybe just peeling paint?

Dan

Roughasguts
20-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Hmmm interesting that black metal bit!... you might be looking at the reed valve set up.

But a picture would be a lot better than me guessing what it could be.

Oh yeah and boats don't really work in dusty conditions, hence no air filters.

dreemon
21-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Chamelion, the air box is actually meant to be an air intake silencer to quiet the noise level and regulate air flow,

the other bit your talking about would need a pic, cheers