PDA

View Full Version : Boat n Fishin Mags, what to do with em?

dreemon
18-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Just wondering what everyone does with all the mags that has been bought and then stacked in piles around the house in the garage, shelves, drawers etc,

A few bucks here and there add up to a few stacks of mags,

I'd just like to know what most of you do with them when you know your not going to read them all over again,

TimiBoy
18-02-2009, 07:51 PM
recycle bin

Cheers,

Tim

jtpython
18-02-2009, 07:57 PM
I keep mine in the Chrisco stirene boxes so when i think of something i've seen it's there to go back and look at.
JT

disorderly
18-02-2009, 08:00 PM
I generally pile them into a polystyrene box and let the rats nest there until the missus finally chucks them out...::)

ifishcq1
18-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Here in CQ we have at least 1 or 2 "take a kid fishing days" a year hosted by the Apex Deep sea club where they get a qualified trainer to teach and the local tackle shops donate some gear and until now I have been putting one of my mag collection in each sample bag and at 20-30 kids each time my couple of hundred mags has just run out at the last day
but I reckon the kids all got something out of them and it makes you feel great to see the real enthusiasm shown by kids from the bush that never get a chance to fish as a rule

so any locals wishing to dispose of any mags in good nick can give me a yell

Cheers
SL

rando
18-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Take them to your local GP/Dentist/Physio...If I have to read one more Women's Day/ Cosmopolitan,,,, I'll start growing tits

dogsbody
18-02-2009, 09:46 PM
I use mine for info if I go to a area I've never been before.

Mind you the pile is getting rather large.

Dave

Noelm
19-02-2009, 07:18 AM
after many years now, I never buy them, they are just a continual glossy Advertisement for Shimano or some other brand of Motor, Boat or something else, with the same contrived pictures and articals for places that most people will never get to in a million years.

charleville
19-02-2009, 07:46 AM
I have several years worth stored in plastic boxes in my garage but I reckon that they will all go into the recycling bin in the next week or so as garage space is becoming scarce at my house.

The glossy ones are pointless to keep anyway as they contain negligible information. They are just escapist magazines that I would buy when I was in a job that had me constantly traveling in cramped aeroplanes and wishing that my tired, sore feet were in salty water with the rest of me pumping yabbies.

The only ones that have been worth keeping are the Bush & Beach mags which do contain a bit of actual information occasionally. eg I am really looking forward to the next article written by Chief as he is such an expert on the Brisbane River.

But even the Bush and beach mags are going into the bin - well after one more look at them, maybe. ;D

cormorant
19-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Just put a note up here and I am sure someone close by will come and collect them and drop of a few beers.

The old ones are so much better for info and less advertising and written without all the bull.

Best recycling is if someone else uses them and then passes them on and you get beer.

Did I mention the beer

I thought with alllthe rainy days and weather up there the pages would be worn out but......

Da-Jew-Man
19-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Hi All,

I have posted in the past that I collect the very old fishing magazines ie 1940's to 1970's, so if anyone has any to get rid of please PM me.
As a Historian and Collector of old fishing gear they provide very important information for me.
As a fisherman some of the articles and stories in the old mags are excellent.
You only have to read an old mag and look at the new ones and see the difference between informative artices on fishing rather than just stories.
Rgds David

reidy
19-02-2009, 11:52 AM
quality reference material. have a rather large pile and growing going back to the early 80s
Cheers
Reidy

dreemon
19-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Take them to your local GP/Dentist/Physio...If I have to read one more Women's Day/ Cosmopolitan,,,, I'll start growing tits

I know what ya mean, the part I hate most is how uncomfortable it is to cross your legs whilst reading ..... it seems womans day is in plauges at the waiting room,
it's then you start the manboobs ::)

I don't like the idea of knowing I'll be there waiting for the doc's reading my own mags for more of my own injurys again, but I do LOVE my beer;D ;D;D
who wrote " accedents dont happen in a perfect world"

and will trade mags for beers ,

cheers to all !!! even the nesting mice n rats

Blueroo
19-02-2009, 07:12 PM
What about old peoples homes.
Id like to think you guys will be giving me free mags in about 20 years.;D

Seriously though, it might make a few people happy to have some good reading material.
:)

Cheers
stue

Joe-90
19-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Here's an idea. Why not swap collections with somebody for a couple of months. I'd be keen for this. Oh and I'm sure we can work beer into it somehow.

I have only got back in to fishing in the last three years or so after returning from working o/s, being one of those kids/teenagers absolutely obsessed by the sport,so my magazine collection covers this time period. I'd love to read some older 10-15 year older stuff if anyone wants to do a swap.

Or more than willing to swap the whole collection for your dads or grandads old cricket books.8-)

stessco
19-02-2009, 08:38 PM
take them to work

Swamp
24-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Hi

Mine get passed on to my daughter's, friend's little brother. Single mum, not too flush with cash, and he sure loves them ( and fishing )

Bill

jayvee
24-02-2009, 03:27 PM
SWAMP- thats top notch mate!! gettting the young fellow reading them and into fishig may well keep him out of trouble whe he's older!!!

im a tradesman so after i've read them for the "1000th time" i just leave them in the garage on the job site for the brickies or chippy's to read on there smoko break!!!
JAYVEE

mookyandlumpy
24-02-2009, 03:45 PM
call me a bit nerdy ::) , but once i have read it all, i cut out the articles that are about areas i fish and things im iterested in and keep them in a folder in my computer room , the rest goes in the recycling bin .
saves on room and you can go back over it with no adds later on

Nic
25-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Nah Mooky, the absolute nerdiest thing to do is download fishing articles from the 'net and keep them in a folder on your desktop, archived according to species, technique and location. I'll admit to it! ;D

I bin old mags, too much random fishing gear around this house as it is!

sharkymark2
25-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I have been salting the doctors surgeries with fishing mags because I feel sorry for us guys having to read about those little spoiled bag and dog carry princesses.
My other half has got me going to the library to read the mags there now. My local library prescribes to a couple of fishing mags so I get the latest whenever I want.;D

Nic
25-02-2009, 02:53 PM
You know, maybe 'prescribe' is a better word than 'subscribe'! Certainly feels like therapy to me, anyway...

Dirtysanchez
25-02-2009, 05:03 PM
I think its a great idea to give them to old peoples homes, or to underpriveliged kids, or even donate them to the docs or dentists surgerys, but don't chuck em in the recycling bin, thats a waste
Perhaps we should organise a swap meet ?

MEGA'bite
25-02-2009, 05:05 PM
i take em to the dentist

garman1
26-02-2009, 06:31 AM
My dentist has made so much money out of my wife and I that he should pay me to bring em into his reception area. Thanks to our teeth, he has holidayed at some of the places IN the magazines that we look at!!!!!!!

OK maybe not but a few fishing mags in there wouldn't go astray.......

Louis
26-02-2009, 01:58 PM
I drop them off at the Doctors office and my Barber.

Louis

Jeremy87
26-02-2009, 03:04 PM
I've got 2 or 3 years or modern fishing archived in my cupboard. They do occassionally act as a reference for a new fishing location or technique. I cancelled my subscription the end of last year as it all become too repetitive. I'm also not really interested in hearing about which charter opperation the writer is sprooking this month, i want to know what people are doing themselves in real time. Hence I've found forums like this to be the best reference for actual useful information regarding fishing on the QLD coast.

RayDeR
26-02-2009, 09:25 PM
I sent this in error but cannot find how to delete it

Ray de R

RayDeR
26-02-2009, 09:36 PM
G'day!

I know the Diggers Dozen volunteer group at Greenslopes Hospital are always looking for suitable men's magazines that they take around to the patients.

While GPH is now a private hospital there are still a lot of (DVA) Diggers there from WW2, Vietnam, etc.

The Diggers Dozen also are having a book sale at GPH on Friday 20th with proceeds going to Galipoli Medical Research Foundation. Any suitable books would be welcome.

[The Gallipoli Medical Research Foundation supports the efforts of researchers to find causes, cures, better management methods and improved medications and treatments of a range of major conditions which affect the health of veterans and the Australian community at large.
The Foundation is an initiative of Greenslopes Private Hospital and is supported by the University of Queensland Faculty of Health Sciences,
School of Medicine and Ramsay Health Care].

Ray de R
(Chaplain Coordinator GPH).