PDA

View Full Version : Mid week off Townsville - Great day on "Hard Livin"

levinge
18-02-2009, 07:06 PM
Great weather and a great day on the water.

It all started with Horseboy arriving at my place early, loaded the boat with his gear and shoved some brekky down the throat. Got to the ramp, launched and headed out, decent weather on the bay allowed us a quick exit from Cleveland Bay. Just over an hour later we were sitting at My faviourite wreck again. Anchor down and we get ready to fish.

I had 2 new rigs to try out, a Tyrnos 20 2 speed and a secondhand 925A Alvey Snapper reel. The Tyrnos didn't get used here as I wanted to see how the alvey would go cranking fish off the wreck (Oh Yeah). Baits went down and we got some really good enquiries, but as it was early and our reflexes were a little slow, we missed them. Rebaited and down again, I get a good strike and up comes a nice Nannygai, striaght into the esky, baited hook straight down again.

About 3 minutes go by and BANG, I have another good strike, highsticking the rod I begin to crantk up on the Alvey, hand slip and the reel starts to spin back down, grabing it quickly again I started to crank up and the 15kg rod has an almight bend in it. Its a pretty quick fight to the surface and up comes my very first Cobia, Big sucker. Horseboy gaffes him and he is in the boat, all 10.5kg of him. Bleed him and into the kill tank he goes. Shortly after that, Horseboy hooks up and brings in another Cobia, a little smaller but still nice fish. We still got a few more bites but nothing really good, so we head out to Keeper Reef.

Trolling Mack Alley and Horseboy had his Qantas special out and I had my trusty XRAP 30. I had 2 strikes and no hookups, Horseboy on the other hand had 4 strikes and 3 good Spaniards into the boat. All gave excellent fights, but were no worries for the Wade. After this we dropped the reef pick down and sat on a couple of trout marks. Poor old Wade was getting really good strikes and was being bricked by some big boofer trout. I on the other hand with the trusty Alvey had 2 nice Coral Trout in the boat during our bottom bashing session. We stayed in the area for a little while, but noticed the swell and wind slowly coming up, so we pulled the pick and headed off home. We sat on a steady 30 kts all the way back to Townsville. cleaned the boat, filleted the fish and now suitably knackered after an excellent day on the water.

Had a ball!!!!

levinge
18-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Horseboy has the some photos and hopefully he will post them up when he gets on..

Scott nthQld
18-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Damn the Sun I hate it!!! Just to think, If i didn't get so sunburnt on the weekend, I would've been out there with you showing you blokes how its really done...lol.

Great trip , can't wait for the photo's.

tailorboi99
18-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Good report mate, can't wait for the pics.

Tom

Benno1
18-02-2009, 08:05 PM
cheers for the report Levi...glad you guys got out and filled the esky :D...*waits patiently for the picces to be posted* :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

horseboy
18-02-2009, 09:16 PM
Sorry everyone i am hopeless on the computer. Brett pm me your email i will sned pics i cant woprk out how to get them up.

Wade

Rod Fishing
18-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Good session boys, thinkingof hrsding out on Sat morning at this stage the weather looks good. will hit the bomber shoals and maybe moonraker. Bont worry Brett I still havent forgotten you and the furl money I still owe from Aussie day at Mission will get there next week.

Wade it isnt hard to ppost a pic, bloody hell scott can do it.

Scott you make me laugh.

Cheers Rod....8-)

matmuller85
18-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Rod i would come with ya but 2 strokes arent my thing anymore hahahahaha sorry mate had to give ya shit

levinge
18-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Now Now you two get a room and get over it.

I've thrown down the challenge guys, catch a Cobia on a reel with absolutely NO drag system. The benchmark is 10.5kg, should give you guys a bit of fun.

Wait till you get a load of the rig, it looks like its on steroids, but have never had a rig that has done what it has. I'm impressed!!!!!

Fishin_Dan
19-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Ahhhhh damn you Brett! Lovely job & nice fish! Can't wait to see the pics!

Is your Alvey outfit the same as your mates that were on the wreck that day we went out?

And does a handline count as a reel with no drag?

Fishin_Dan
19-02-2009, 12:53 PM
P.S - It was REALLY quiet around Maggie last night....

levinge
19-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Sorry to hear that Dan.

Yep I think its pretty close to the same sort of rig.

I don't think a handline would be classed as reel, although the Alvey's can be attached to a rod so I guess that they are a reel. Certainly a whole new world of fishing, using an Alvey in deep water.

Hope to have the pics up shortly

jtpython
19-02-2009, 07:45 PM
:( You guys going out during the week make me sick.................:(
Good going by the sounds of it guys
The old man went out today for 5 spano's biggest going 35 lb and smallest being 80 cm with a nice trout bit bigger then the one we got at xmas going over 6 kg and a good swag of mixed reefies ....... Don't ask for photo's cause they are old school fisherman the only way i get the pics if i take them
JT

levinge
19-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Here's the evidence from the Trip

ferrett
21-02-2009, 11:22 PM
hey brett have u had a chew of the cobia yet? wat do u think? i am not a real fan of them but hell yeah good fun to catch, well done guys!

levinge
22-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Haven't cooked any of it up yet, will let the missus be the judge, she's the fish eater in the family. If it turns out that they are ordinary, then I guess it will be catch and release time when I do get them.

Rod Fishing
22-02-2009, 10:45 AM
With the cobia the best part of the fish is from the anal hole back to the tail, the rest becaomes dog, cat or crab food.

Cheers Rod....8-)

levinge
22-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Thans Rod, I remember you saying something about that when we were up at Mission Beach.