PDA

View Full Version : Baitcasters

Gordie
18-02-2009, 07:54 AM
Just a question fellas.

I had a flick throw Fitzy,s site yesterday and Harro had an article comparing Spinning reels with Bait casters.

I intended to go back and have a read, but can not find it.

What I need to know is "Can you develop the same accuracy with a Spinning reel as you can with a Baitcaster."

I know the benifits of throwing lighter weights with the spinner and use them when required, but never accurately.

I usually pick up my Baitcaster because I can hit the bulseye nearly every time.

Thanks in advance people.

Regards Gordon

flairj
18-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Well, for me, coming from a Bream fishing background where it is almost exclusivly spin rods, my casting with spin became great. Now that I do a lot more Bass fishing and have use for both I would say I am at about level pegging for both.

That's not to say I'm a crackshot with either but I can certainly hit a bullseye most times with a spin rod.

I know one of my good friends did the casting comp at last years Bass Electric Convention with spin simply because he was so much stronger with it. I guess it's a matter of practice.

Josh

Jungle Jim
18-02-2009, 09:42 AM
i guess it comes back to the application.
if the application is casting 2.5gr lures 5m in tight tight cover. Yep i can definitely say the i have seen some unbelievable casts. Skips 2-3metres into undergrowth- under cover 30cm high. But the total cast is just 5m.

Then again casting 1oz barra lures at a snags from 15m+ is just as accurate albeit a totally different type of accuracy.

Could you get the same accuracy using the same lures for the same application...?????

that would depend on the angler...

i know i couldn’t so i ride a different horse for each course...

JIM

Jeremy87
18-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Different tools for different jobs.

For outright precision when casting moderate to heavy lures you can't beat a baitcaster. But what alot of people forget is in the real world you can't always do a simple up and down cast and still get it in the back of a snag. You have to do a combination of side and back hand casts at a variety of trajectories. For this you need to be flexable in your rod selection so that is the most appropriate for your chosen lure.

So in answering you actual question can you develop the same accuracy, well depending of the lure and the situation yes and no. Sometimes spin is better sometimes it is worse. If i had to make generalisations this is what they would be;

-Skip casting imo can only be a truely controlled cast using spin (You can do it with a baitcaster but you'll spend more time unpicking overruns than fishing)

-Flat trajectory casting is more easily achieved with spin but takes some practice controlling the distance and laying the lure down softly on the water, alternatively side casting with a baitcaster will give you better control with distance but it is harder to be precise horizontally.

-Casting at straight up and down timber is by far most suited to a baitcaster.

-Distance casting with little regard to accuracy is best achieved with spin

-Accurate short casts at snags for lures less than 5 grams is best achieved with a short spin rod. by 7 grams i am back to using a baitcaster

Gordie
19-02-2009, 07:36 AM
Thanks ' FLAIRJ JUNGLE JIM AND JEREMY ' for all the above.

For a year or so I have been carring both styles with me plus a backup baitcaster reel for those big bird nests.

I have some good hardware here so it is just up to me to improve the casts.

The skip casting sounds interesting, I will definately be working on that.

Thank you again.

Gordon

BarraBandit
23-02-2009, 11:31 AM
I rather my Spinning gear more, and I have found that I cast just as well with a Twinpower as I do with say, a Curado.

Practice makes perfect.

Bandit.