PDA

View Full Version : Will YOU be attending the Save Our Bay Rally on 28th February 2009

Black_Rat
17-02-2009, 07:29 PM
G'day All,

With some 20,000 views now, I'm trying to get an idea on the commitment through attendance figures of Ausfishers to this rally and the cause of SOBA.

I'll be there ! :)

Damo.

monkey76
17-02-2009, 07:33 PM
I wont be their the govt have made their mind up all to late to protest now

TimiBoy
17-02-2009, 08:08 PM

Monkey,

This is a major misunderstanding. We are not marching to stop the current changes.

We are marking their introduction, and making our presence felt, so that FUTURE changes are at least done on a scientific basis.

SOBA is not doing this and walking away, we are focussed on getting a good outcome for Rec Fishos now AND in the future.

If you think the 28th is the end and not the beginning, you are sadly mistaken. So be there, and start becoming a part of the solution to Moreton Bay's problems.

If we do not take action, it will go from 16% to 30% in 3 years. Where the hell will you fish??? It must STOP!

Tim

catfishkid
17-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I will be there
It is an important cause for every rec fisherman in this state.
There will be an election soon and unless we do something now we will get more of the same.
Stand up and be counted

Cheers Craig

Poodroo
17-02-2009, 08:19 PM
Haven't missed one yet. ;)

Poodroo

Black_Rat
17-02-2009, 08:30 PM
The changes will come into affect the day after the rally, 1st March 2009 so it is not aimed at changing what is now legislation.

What we are about is exposing the myth that by banning recreational anglers from these areas it is going to make a difference to the enviroment ::)

With so many issues affecting the bay from pollution run-off, siltaton, to dredging ect. We have been made the scapegoat >:(

Take the time to visit the SOBA website for another point of view, apart from the ones we get rammed down our throats in the media and by our current government :(

Recreational anglers are part of the solution not the problem.

Damo.

PS: It's not just happening on our doorstep either, NSW are having the exact same issues as we are !

oldboot
17-02-2009, 09:10 PM
There are a great many issues aside from those previously and currently in our faces.
These issues will continue to arise year after year.
Due to commonwealth legeslation a great many fisheries management and environmental issues have set and regular revision and reporting dates.

We need to show ourselves as being concerned and interested enough to turn out in numbers.
We need to do this to inspire others to become interested and to raise our profile in the eyes of politicians and beurocrats.

the Moreton Bay Marine park in reality is only one of an on going string of issues going forward and back.

We need to continue being interested and continue making comment in the interest of recreational anglers.

please come.

cheers

Xahn1960
17-02-2009, 11:30 PM

Apathy is the main reason rec fishers have lost so much ground allready... A strong showing at this rally will put the greenies on notice that they will have to fight hard for any more.

I wish I could be there, unfortunately I'm to far away, but I hope any who can make it do so. Do not waste this opportunity to make yourself heard.......

Bill.

The-easyrider
18-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Will be there unless something unforseen stuffs me up

harry_h01
18-02-2009, 07:55 AM
I'll be there, and so will a couple of other from work, and the family.

We need to show the government that we have a voice, and that voice is we are not happy. We cannot change what some office dweller has implemented, but we can go a long way in helping influence future decisions.

One person clapping doesn't make a lot of noise, but a group of us can blow some ear drums.

Harry

Poodroo
18-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Apathy is the main reason rec fishers have lost so much ground allready... A strong showing at this rally will put the greenies on notice that they will have to fight hard for any more.

I wish I could be there, unfortunately I'm to far away, but I hope any who can make it do so. Do not waste this opportunity to make yourself heard.......

Bill.

Most people don't know the half of it. There is already talk of making all areas between Fraser Island and Cape Moreton Green Zones. I work in an industry where we buy and sell salt water aquarium fish from divers who are licensed to collect. One diver in particular is very much up to date with government officials on what plans we probably have not heard about and if we all sit on our backsides leaving the fight to everyone else, before we know it we will not be able to fish anywhere without needing a passport to leave Australian waters to go fishing. ::) They are serious in stopping people from fishing not just in Australia but worldwide. I doubt they will ever succeed but it will be very hard to get the average boat on the water and take the family out for a fish if we all sit back and let them snowball us. Anyone who enjoys fishing out in the Bay, or anywhere for that matter should be donating just this one day in their life to at least attempt to make the impression that we will not give up our Australian way of life that easily. I really don't think that is too much to ask of anybody. If we fight hard and still lose then at least we gave it our best shot. If we don't make a difference and do this and we end up losing our fishing spots one by one I will be the first to say "I told you so!" to the first person I see put up a thread whinging about not being able to go anywhere to have a fish anymore. Let's all do something about it and stop being apathetic.

Poodroo

RJ5023
18-02-2009, 08:12 AM
Not just NSW and Qld either. In SA we are being lumbered as well, but we are a bit behind your schedule.

Too far to pull my tinny - sorry. But I hope that everyone gets motivated, gets out there and does their bit to make a difference.

It's probably worth pointing out that fishers spend more time on the water, are more personally familiar with the marine world and take more individual actions to maintain the marine environment - on a daily basis - than greenies ever will.

It's not environmental theory to us, it's part of our lives.

Make a lot of noise.

Best wishes from SA.

If you would like to help us out with information about your experiences go to

http://www.strikehook.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,78/board,83.0/

Regards,
RJ

tropicrows
18-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Timiboy your comments are spot on.

I'll be there with bells on.

Also
This Saturday my day is fully booked, meaning I won’t be able to hand out flyers or do a windscreen drop at the following ramps.

Wello point
Raby Bay
Vic Point
Redland bay

I am looking for volunteers who can fill the void for me on this Saturday.

Last Sunday I distributed approximately 200 flyers at these ramps, I have also arranged flyers for Leisure Marine and Budds bait & tackle.

It would be good for others to post here, so we can see what areas are being covered and where the gaps arr that need to be filled ASAP.

Lucky_Phill
18-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Of course I'll be there. Nothing short of a ambo trip to hospital would be able to keep me away.

As stated above, this is NOT about the Green Zones ( all Zones ) in Moreton Bay.

It is all about the way the implementation of zones took place.

Allowing those that pay big money to do what they like in those zones.

It's about the EPA NOT doing their job and cleaning up the waterways.

It's about Department of State Development over-riding the EPA and approving any proposal that a cashed up developer wants to do.

It's about not providing funding to the very scientists that are qualified to do the important research that will ultimately provide the right data to get the management in place to achieve sustainability.

It's about voting preferences to stay in Government.

It's about allowing 50 million tonnes of Moreton Bay sand to be dredged up and used as land fill. FFS !!!! 15% of that area is covered in Seagrass, the lifeblood of our Dugongs.

It's about why the EPA are NOT protecting the Foreshores, Mangrove Habitat and Nursery areas of our fishery.

It's about letting the citizens of Queensland know that there is someone out there prepared to make a noise, stand up for their right to fish, for their kids right to fish and to let it be known that 1 in 4 Queenslanders fish and those people put Hundreds of Millions of Dollars into the coffers of the State and federal Government and we are being under-represented despite this.

It's about saying to the Government, " Hey, we are the solution to the problems in the Bay and beyond, listen to us if you want a viable and sustainable fishery ". It's about telling the powers that be " WE ARE THE PROTECTORS OF THE BAY ".

To be honest, and this was touched on above, the Green Movement don't have a clue.... the recreational anglers of Queensland are MORE GREEN than the ferets that sit behind their keyboards and write protest letters to anyone that will listen. WE are more green than the apparent scientist that produces data the Government wants...... yep, produce this result and you'll be rewarded.

I have heard many an excuse for not attending the past rallies and they range from pathetic to lies. I have been told ' genuine reasons " and that's fine by me. For me, if you cannot find a couple of hours in the 8,760 you have at your disposal this year, then you may as well give up fishing.

If you cannot find the 2 hours or so on the 28th, then you must contact the Save Our Bay Association Inc people and offer any assistance you can.

info@saveourbay.org.au

If you even think the current new zoning plan does not affect you, think what will happen after the next review. Quick, sell ya boat now..........:o

all IMO.

Phill

TimiBoy
18-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Wello point
Raby Bay
Vic Point
Redland bay

I am looking for volunteers who can fill the void for me on this Saturday.

Bruce,

Hopefully I can tackle some of them on Saturday. I'll see if Wags'll help me out, too.

Do you have some flyers in hand?

Cheers,

Tim

The-easyrider
18-02-2009, 09:06 AM
I am just wondering if anyone from ausfish or soba has thought about doing any thing for the clean up Australia day? I am thinking this with a bit of media coverage might be used to show that fisherpeople are proactive in being part of the solution to better waterways and not the problem.
it is on the first of march.

TimiBoy
18-02-2009, 10:00 AM
I am just wondering if anyone from ausfish or soba has thought about doing any thing for the clean up Australia day? I am thinking this with a bit of media coverage might be used to show that fisherpeople are proactive in being part of the solution to better waterways and not the problem.
it is on the first of march.

It did get a brief mention some time ago, but we are a bit thin on the ground at this time. I'd suggest that as we grow we will be able to make proper use of such events.

With the Rally happening on the Saturday, if we pushed for Clean Up Australia Day on Sunday, we might dilute our efforts on both, and produce not a BANG, but a whimper...

Cheers,

Tim

3rd degree
18-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I'll be there!

I have a wedding to attend later in the day, so unfortunately won't be able to make the bbq.

See you there!

Jim

Xahn1960
18-02-2009, 09:53 PM
At this point I'll admit I am completely shell shocked.... This site would be the nearest thing I have seen to the heart & soul of the rec fishing community, yet 22% of this community do not believe in the aims / cause of the rally ??? can I ask these people just what you do believe in ?? I checked back here thinking on this forum at least the " I'll be there crew" would be light years in front, little wonder things are up the duff, you are leaving just a few good people to fight your battles for you. I hate to burst your bubble, but as good as these people are, without support they can not win....

Had my rant, feel much better now... Just hope this rally goes much better than this poll currently indicates...

Bill.

dogsbody
18-02-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm in

Dave

Chris Ryan
18-02-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey Bill.

I hear what you are saying. Now below is a very direct response to this and I apologise to the guys and gals out there that understand that we need to rally together otherwise fishing for recreation is doomed.

I am asking a question, do people actually care anymore about this? Do rec fisho's seriously want to bend over and cop a pineapple without a whimper?

If that is the case, please let me and all the others who work tirelessly together to better the views of rec fishos in government and media. If we are wasting our time please let us know. I know I have more than stretched my relationship with my family, I have spent hours and hours writing documents, I have spent time organising elections, I have spent several thousand dollars too and I am not the only one.

If you lot don't want a voice to help stop losing our lifestlyes, speak up now. I am happy to go back to my life. Like Poodroo said, don't dare post up anything about how it sucks that you lost your spot or they plan to close yours in the next round of closures, you have missed your opportunity.

If on the other hand you actually think we are doing good, we are making progress, and you don't want a pineapple shoved north, then get of your lazy backsides and get involved. We need you and without you we have nothing. Simple equation really.

So, over to you. Let me know what you want me and the others working for you to do. Do we keep going or do we stop?

CreelReaper
18-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to make the day at all due to other committments but my son and 3 or 4 of his boating/fishing friends with their boats will most likely be there in my absence.
Tim, what time Saturday are you planning to hand out those flyers??? I may be able to lend a hand if its before lunch. Send us a pm if you want a hand....

Shane

Raesen
19-02-2009, 01:41 AM
I'll be there (pending no unforeseen dramas).

Have worked with Gov bodies on numerous projects in relation to my occupation. They promote consultation" prior to legislation introduction and change but I am still to find out who they consult with!!!!! It certainly isn't the people in the know about a particular situation or circumstance or topic.

Cheers Pete

george_lang
19-02-2009, 11:20 AM
Sorry cant attend have to work week ends,been talking to cat fish kid and he was telling me about the protest and the BBQ afterwards.He said you have about 150 sausages for the BBQ ,I would like to donate the bread that you would require for that amount and some extra (just in case a few more turn up).I own a bakery and Cat Fish kid will pick it up and take it with him to the rally.I hope all goes well and it will bring our views to the attention of the politicians.
Thanks George

TimiBoy
19-02-2009, 12:23 PM
So, over to you. Let me know what you want me and the others working for you to do. Do we keep going or do we stop?

I for one am sh!t scared. If we do not get organised, then at review time (about 3 years time) there will be nothing to stop the closures becoming 30%.

The zones will, as with the set coming now, be complex and difficult to read or spot, so that the Ratbags will have plenty of opportunity to trap Mums and Dads out in the tinny without a GPS. They will be like lambs to the slaughter.

To those who don't agree with our course of action, please, what's your alternative? I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you, or are you scared to reveal your watermelon coloured ar$es??

Tim

Chris Ryan
19-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Thank you George. That is a wonderful thing to do and your support is greatly appreciated. PM me your details on the bakery (name, address, etc) and I will make sure you get a mention on the SOBA website and at the event.

See guys, a simple gesture from one will help the many. It's not that hard to follow Georges' lead.

Cheers,
Chris

kingtin
19-02-2009, 02:38 PM
I've attended past events but it's looking like I may have to dip out on this one. The deckie is working on the day, and my knackered ankle is not up to pushing a clutch more than a dozen times before I start screaming...............sorry :-/ :'(

If anyone can convert my Prado to automatic (for free) ;D then I'll be there..............failing that, I'm there in spirit only.

Good onya those who are picking up the gauntlet. Damo, Chris and others, I know how hard you've all worked..............my admiration goes out to you.

kev

The-easyrider
19-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Kevin if you want to come along for the ride and bbq I can pick you up if you like.

kingtin
19-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Kevin if you want to come along for the ride and bbq I can pick you up if you like.

Thanks mate but I have the 2 boys to look after as well, one who is autistic..............he loved the last couple of rallies but is only comfortable in our own vehicle.

The deckie is trying to get someone to swap shifts with her, so we may make it yet.

Thanks again. Hope the rig's doing well.

kev

Lucky_Phill
19-02-2009, 05:48 PM
At this point I'll admit I am completely shell shocked.... This site would be the nearest thing I have seen to the heart & soul of the rec fishing community, yet 22% of this community do not believe in the aims / cause of the rally ??? can I ask these people just what you do believe in ?? I checked back here thinking on this forum at least the " I'll be there crew" would be light years in front, little wonder things are up the duff, you are leaving just a few good people to fight your battles for you. I hate to burst your bubble, but as good as these people are, without support they can not win....

Had my rant, feel much better now... Just hope this rally goes much better than this poll currently indicates...

Bill.

Bill, I wouldn't take too much notice of the folk that you describe. There are " spooks " amongst us. We'll just say that they visit Ausfish and sit behind their Green Keyboard. ;) :-X

What this thread is all about is trying to gauge numbers and if it sparks debate or interest or passes on info otherwise not recieved, then it has done it's job.

There is of course, the apathetic few that don't give a rats. That's their choice. I choose to defend my pass-time, my lifestyle, my mates and the environment that encompasses the aforementioned.

phill

PinHead
19-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I for one am sh!t scared. If we do not get organised, then at review time (about 3 years time) there will be nothing to stop the closures becoming 30%.

The zones will, as with the set coming now, be complex and difficult to read or spot, so that the Ratbags will have plenty of opportunity to trap Mums and Dads out in the tinny without a GPS. They will be like lambs to the slaughter.

To those who don't agree with our course of action, please, what's your alternative? I'm sure we'd all love to hear from you, or are you scared to reveal your watermelon coloured ar$es??

Tim

what colour was yours during the last two rallies? I did not see you there !!!!!

I don't think labelling people is conducive to garenering a good turn out at the rally or for support in general.

webby
19-02-2009, 06:38 PM
If you want to see my Watermelon Arse, will be willing to show it.
Names calling or Insults, is a sure way of not getting people to turn up.
Were you at the first one we had, when we drove from Raby Bay into the city ??????
Some ought to step down from the soap box.

Blueroo
19-02-2009, 07:05 PM
I'll be there,
Blue Bluefin with yak loaded as well. Haven't missed a protest yet but have a different boat this time and a yak.
I'm a bit disappointed with the poll. It seems to be the same old story.

You can only wonder what will happen IF ONLY WE HAVE A HUGE TURNOUT and the govt suddenly realises that there are more fisher-people out there than they thought.

If the greenies were fair dinkum they would be trying to stop the BAC from destroying 15% of the bays sea grass and not hassling a few recreational fisher-people.

Come on people GET OFF YOUR BUTTS and do something to help yourselves and the bay by joining the protest. Throw a few posters on the car and come join in.

Cheers
Stue

PS
Has anyone handed out any flyers to businesses in Redcliffe? I’ve got about 60 printed off so far.

PinHead
19-02-2009, 07:11 PM
the greenines will not take on the BAC..they know they cannot win that one..that would be like trying to stop dredging of the shipping channels..never going to happen.

Black_Rat
19-02-2009, 08:18 PM
I must admit around 2-3 years ago when these changes were first proposed I thought yeah why not ! Could be a good thing, without really looking into the real issues affecting the bay and why the changes had been proposed.

It was only through involvement with SOBA and people like Chris, Tim, Phill and others that it became apparent THIS JUST AIN'T RIGHT !

So I got involved, attended previous rallies and am now helping to organise this rally so that these same people and SOBA can get the message out there ! Out to people that were in my same position 2-3 years ago. ;)

So that's why I DO believe in the cause of this rally.

Damo.

PS: Luv your passion Tim ! ;D

Poodroo
20-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Gee I sure hope the poll is incorrect. Time is running out and we only have 24 people out of this entire site who have voted that they will come? We all may as well sell the boats and our fishing gear now. I just came back from a trip out in the bay yesterday with Whynott. Caught a decent feed too but when we got back to the ramp at Lota there were two workmen mounting a new sign with a large map of the green zones. Reality has long sunk in for me but I am still amazed at how many people still have a ho hum attitude about what is happening. Regardless of who we do or don't like on here it has become most important that we all band together and put a big effort in. Fighting amongst ourselves with slander is not going to help the issue. Don't persecute those who at least are showing some passion about this cause. I congratulate Tim, Damo, Lucky_Phil and much more for their devotion to this. Now it is up to everyone collectively to have their say or kiss our fishing lifestyle goodbye forever.

Poodroo

stevelcqld
20-02-2009, 07:36 PM
I would like to attend but will be in Melb attending the Motor Show for work Fri / Saturday - Doh..

Good luck...

Steve

Xahn1960
20-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Well my confidence was raised today, heard from rellies in Brisbane, not Ausfish members but know all about the rally and plan to be there with mates. I guess it proves at least that word is getting out, so all you out there promoting this, take heart your work is having an impact. :)

Bill.

TimiBoy
21-02-2009, 06:15 AM
If you want to see my Watermelon Arse, will be willing to show it.
Names calling or Insults, is a sure way of not getting people to turn up.
Were you at the first one we had, when we drove from Raby Bay into the city ??????
Some ought to step down from the soap box.

A year ago, I wasn't an Ausfisher, was new to boating, had no idea about it or the issues. Now I do. Webby, do you have an alternative method for us to highlight the issues and action a plan to bring about the cessation of green motivated and logic free closures?

Or do you believe in the closures? If you do, then the name calling was correct, and warranted, IMO.

I'm all ears.

Indeed, I wonder whether your comment (and Pinhead's, but Greg, you're just a big shit stirrer) means that;
1) if you weren't at the first two, you didn't care, or
2) if you weren't in the first two, you were a Greenie, or
3) if you weren't in the first two, you are not a member of the "club" so we don't want you.

All of which are, frankly, pretty stupid. I respect the efforts of all that went on those rallies. I only wish I had been there.

I have had a boat for all of 22 months. It is an old desire, but a new passion.

A watermelon, for your info, is a Greenie. Green on the outside, Red (Commie bastard) in the middle. Just in case you didn't understand...

Tim

gofishin
21-02-2009, 07:24 AM
99% I’ll be there, and at the BBQ. Can’t add the other 1% at this stage due to my father being hospitalised after a nasty fall, with several operations to come. He’d want me to go regardless of his condition, as the SOBA cause is exactly what he believes in passionately, and he’s 82. However, I may be required by mum’s side.

I see reference to SOBA and the Rally in John Crawford Marine’s latest mail-out, apparently that goes out to 2,500 people, so hopefully we get a ship load more boats than the poll suggests.
Cheers
Brendon

webby
21-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Mate if you no me or had of checked up before pasting your second reply, I'd be more passionate about the bay then you or most others on here.
Having fished the Bay for more then 30years, i've seen some big changes out there.
1. Fishing (Boat) numbers have triple/quadrupled in this time.
2. Willful Destruction by developers, Port of Brisbane and others.
3. Run off from industries have destroyed close in breeding habitats.
4. Some regulations were made for rec' fishos, while not effecting Pro's.
5. Doesn't matter how many new reg's they bring out, there are still a fair majority out there that dont abide or follow these reg's.

Yes i believe the bay does need some closures, to help protect for the future.
But not to the extent of the forth coming 1 mar 09 ones, as i no most of these forth coming areas, and with the exception of a few, cannot understand why some of these areas are being close, when there not much down below except sand.
Yet in other areas, they are allowing the dredging and destruction of some of the best banks and environments the bay has to offer.
A lot of this was to accommodate the Greens and keep them on side.

Do you really think life in the ocean can go on unchecked without some protection.

As to not being a member of some so called CLUB, I'd like to know whose Club this is and what gives you the right to say no one is wanted, when many not being in any so called Club ?????? have done more on the side lines then you in your short time have done.

As to attending the last two rallies and not being passionate, you make me laugh.

I have been on two Fisheries Advisory Committees (MAC'S), and over the years have been called upon to give relevant information in regards to Bay Fishing/Environment.

You may have jumped on the band wagon in a big way in your short time, but calling/suggesting those that have not stated whether they are attending the up coming rally names, is a childish gester.

How much do you really no about the Bay and its infrastructures/habitats/fish species/reef-rubble areas etc.

I'm all for everyone being passionate about a area and its on going existence, but i suggest you find out about someone before sprucking off at the mouth.

The world just doesnt exist in the confines of Ausfish

If you had of check up with Phill or others you may have found out a few things about me.
regards

Chong
21-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Timi, Webby,

I know you both and you both have some great things to add for the benifit of the Bay and knowledge for us all. I think you guys are getting off on the wrong side of the ramp.

Lets keep it together team8-)

The Bay needs you both;D

Cheers

Sorry i wont be able to make it due to work:'( but i will be thinking of you.

TimiBoy
21-02-2009, 10:04 AM

Tim

Webby,

I am aware of your reputation.

I AM NOT against closures which have a basis in good science.

I AM against closures which are decided and implemented due to a political preference deal, with nothing to do with science, and directed at a scapegoat (Rec Anglers).

I am against closures which only ban fishing. Eco Tours and divers should be out as well, their anchors do the same damage.

I am also against people using the anonymity of a poll to whiteant an organisation which is doing a lot of work to try and get things changed, to get things onto a scientific footing.

If you and I are on the same team, I apologise! If we're not, I don't!

Regards,

Tim

Poodroo
21-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Webby,

I am aware of your reputation.

I AM NOT against closures which have a basis in good science.

I AM against closures which are decided and implemented due to a political preference deal, with nothing to do with science, and directed at a scapegoat (Rec Anglers).

I am against closures which only ban fishing. Eco Tours and divers should be out as well, their anchors do the same damage.

I am also against people using the anonymity of a poll to whiteant an organisation which is doing a lot of work to try and get things changed, to get things onto a scientific footing.

If you and I are on the same team, I apologise! If we're not, I don't!

Regards,

Tim

Not to mention the pro trawlers that drag their nets along the bottom and overturn all the corals. I know a diver who has seen this happening and he describes it like "A grader has flattened out the entire reef!"

Poodroo

oldboot
21-02-2009, 11:16 AM
I think possibly there is a problem that people do not understand the aims of the rally.

The predominant aim of the rally is to show that people are concerned about recreational fishing and boating issues and are prepared to turn out and say so.

What specificaly those concerns are in many cases at this will be an individual matter.

You are free to express those concerns on your plackards.....Please be reasonable.

We need to show that we are as numerous and as concerned as other people who wish to influence these issues.

As I have said before, most of the issues that prompted us to these actions while fresh in our minds are more or less past for now.
We need to be looking forward to the comming issues and learning from the past.

So if you are concerned.. show up.
Concerned about what realy matters little. The details realy matter little.

What matters is that we are recreational fishers and boaters and we expect to be considered as a majority group and we expect to be viewed as concerned about the health of the enviromnent and the health of the fishery.
We also expect reason, access and practicality in regulation.

cheers

PinHead
21-02-2009, 01:15 PM
A year ago, I wasn't an Ausfisher, was new to boating, had no idea about it or the issues. Now I do. Webby, do you have an alternative method for us to highlight the issues and action a plan to bring about the cessation of green motivated and logic free closures?

Or do you believe in the closures? If you do, then the name calling was correct, and warranted, IMO.

I'm all ears.

Indeed, I wonder whether your comment (and Pinhead's, but Greg, you're just a big shit stirrer) means that;
1) if you weren't at the first two, you didn't care, or
2) if you weren't in the first two, you were a Greenie, or
3) if you weren't in the first two, you are not a member of the "club" so we don't want you.

All of which are, frankly, pretty stupid. I respect the efforts of all that went on those rallies. I only wish I had been there.

I have had a boat for all of 22 months. It is an old desire, but a new passion.

A watermelon, for your info, is a Greenie. Green on the outside, Red (Commie bastard) in the middle. Just in case you didn't understand...

Tim

there you go again with your childish name calling...well should I lower myself to your level..nope..you aren't worth the hassle.

I, too, have been fishing in South East Qld for the past 40 years..was a member of Camp Hill Belmont Fishing Club from 1968...I have not had the experience on advisory board as others have but am still passionate about the Bay. You seem to want to label people with stupid names because they don't want to get on your billy cart whilst you are trying to steer it.

I think an apology is owed by yourself for your childish acts...ever read the rules of this site????

castlemaine
21-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll be there for the rally (getting time off work) but not the BBQ due to prior commitments.

I'm in it for the unfairness of closures with poor/no science for the sake of closures, pleasing political allies and blaming it on the most vulnerable group.

See you there.

Cheers8-)

TimiBoy
21-02-2009, 02:31 PM
I'm not sure why labelling a person a watermelon for being against the idea of protesting the implementation of closures on the basis of preference buys but not science is something I have to apologise for. Ain't gonna happen, because it's exactly what I think.

I've asked for alternate strategies, too. Obviously the need to address that point is too hard for some folks to fathom, or they're just chucking sh!t at me for the sake of it. That's OK, I can take it. Been up to my armpits in the stuff all my life, nothing's changed!

And I don't think I should be criticised for not being at the first two protests. As an Angler I didn't exist at the time. It is apparent that some think my lack of attendance at those two somehow diminishes my rights to be invloved. If "how long has "new person X" been involved" is the yardstick against which all potential contributors will be measured, then I guess a few good folks (I don't have the ego to count myself one of them) will not get the credibility they deserve.

Tim

lippa
21-02-2009, 03:35 PM
come on fellas, this chest beatin, dick measuring comp isn't gunna help anyone.

we are all passionate supporters of the bay in one form or another, some for years others new and wanna help, why does there have to be any issues???

cool your ego's fellas.

let get on with the task of highlighting the bays real problems with the general public, and band together, like humans.
A newbie reading this thread would turn away and not return to see the real causes and hopefully achievements we are all striving for.

cheers

lippa

and for the record, i have attended both tows (from clontarf and from eagle farm) and the river cruise

mowerman
21-02-2009, 07:03 PM
The greenies and captain bligh will be loving this.

Exactly the reason why they have nothing to fear from the 400,000 rec fishos.

Heres a dollar, go buy a couple of lollipops.

Rod.

castlemaine
21-02-2009, 07:57 PM
The greenies and captain bligh will be loving this.

Rod.

I was thinking the same thing:-/ . No wonder they picked only on us (Rec Anglers).

Chong
22-02-2009, 12:20 AM
same thing happened when we started the TFPQ SEQ branch, a few good men on the front line and no support when it really counted:( ..........

Chris Ryan
22-02-2009, 09:14 AM
I suggest that we put this behind us and just move on. I am sure all parties concerned have the best interests of the bay at heart when they are approaching this.

So let's get on with showing those out there we are a force, we are together and we are the true custodians of the Bay that know pollution is the key killer of the Bay and a green zone won't stop that from continuing.

Cheers,
Chris

Wahoo
22-02-2009, 09:48 AM
has anyone contacted channel 7 / 10 or who ever, and let them know whats going on.. on the day? a bit of media might be good, then again the media can twist things around for the bad

webby
22-02-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't think there's any chest beating, dick pulling or whatever involved.
I and others don't like being accused if it was directed that way, of not being passionate/dedicated in our thoughts on the bays future.
If someone or anyone is to put up a post accusing others and it seemed to be directed at the majority not the minority (those that hide behind the screen and are all for closures) of not being loyal to a cause just because they haven't stated so or showed their intentions on a website,
Those organizing this event, may be disillusioned by the response, and feel let down, but it takes more then words on a website to get events like this up and running.
The first one was a major success because there were a lot of organizations involved, and a lot of publicity, so dont vent your anger or dissatisfaction out on others.
The remarks about if not being in some CLUB, Your Not Wanted is more like some redneck talking then someone whose intent is wholly directed at saving something most of us are passionate about.
So if someone or anyone is to post wordings relevant to any of the above, they should take a step back and think about the words they use.
As to the greens/labor loving this type of post, it doesn't come across that way, but more about those passionate about what they stand for, and are working on the same project but in two different directions.
regards

Black_Rat
22-02-2009, 10:40 AM
If you are comming to the rally or thinking of comming please vote before Friday, this will help on two fronts:

1. It'll allow me to give an idea on the number of cars/boats in the convoy to Queensland Police.
2. It'll give us an idea on how much food/soft drink to buy for the BBQ afterwards so no one misses out.

For those that are visitors to AF (no-members) that have seen the flyer here and to others that have heard about the rally, it'll be a stab in the dark on numbers. I'll be optimistic and double the number of replies from AF members. ;)

Damo.

Lucky_Phill
22-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Good work Damo.

If ya need a hand with the after event activities, give us a yell, or does the " Committee" have everything in place ?

IMO.... there has never been a better time to show the present Govt and future ( after the election ) that the rec fishing lobby is a major player.

We do this from within and from the bleaches and no one can deny that in the last couple of years any pollie worth his salt has heard the voice of an angry fisho. Funny thing is, they know we are right, but refuse to put their butt on the line for the truth and commonsense.

I can see that down the track a State and Federal Government will recognize the " heritage / culture ' ingrained within the Australian society that is known as Recreational Fishing. The Federal Government has already taken steps to endorse the importance of our community by establishing a Recreational Fishing Working Group.

Further, the FRDC ( Fishing Research and Development Corporation ) has undertaken extensive research in this area as well.

Below is an extract from Peter J Neville, National Working Group Chair and his statement of June 2008.

"Co-management” is not an esoteric, minor improvement in a management system. Potentially it is a lifeline for the future sustainability of Australia’s fisheries and the businesses and communities that depend on them.

The reality is that fisheries managers cannot manage wild fish — only the behaviour of fishers and, to a severely limited extent, some aspects of the ecosystems on which they depend. Advances in knowledge have shown that it is essential to move the level of management from “local” to “total ecosystem”. As this has occurred, the weaknesses of historic “command and control” approaches to fisheries management have become all too apparent.
Report of the FRDC’s national working group for the Fisheries Co-management Initiative — project No. 2006/068

© Fisheries Research and Development Corporation 2008

So Federally, we Recreational Fishos have been recognized and now is the time to provide impetus for this working group via an organised, educated and passionate group that can truely represent fellow Recreational Anglers.

Our goals and approaches have been described by a senior bureaucrat in this State Government as " trying to round up a bunch of cats ", that may be the case, but if you get that same bunch of cats and throw a mouse in the middle, they'll all take note, their interest will focus, if only momentarily. That moment will be this rally on the 28th.

Phill

TheRealAndy
22-02-2009, 05:54 PM
has anyone contacted channel 7 / 10 or who ever, and let them know whats going on.. on the day? a bit of media might be good, then again the media can twist things around for the bad

The media will be contacted this week:thumbsup:

dogsbody
23-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Captain Bligh and Borg will be on ABC radio tomorrow morn,,,if anyone can call up and get thru to give them an ear full re:Oi what's with the ripping up of 15% of sea grass and what's planned for pollution reduction in the bay? Etc,etc.

Dave

oldboot
23-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Good work Damo.

IMO.... there has never been a better time to show the present Govt and future ( after the election ) that the rec fishing lobby is a major player.

Phill

With Captain Bligh going to the govenour today... never a truer word was said.

In political terms this would have to be a "good tide" all we need now is a "fair wind and strong arms".

cheers

bigjimg
23-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Righto I'll be there.With the whipper snappers[the kids]two of em.Hope there is enough food,the boy can eat.......Jim.

dogsbody
24-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Righto I'll be there.With the whipper snappers[the kids]two of em.Hope there is enough food,the boy can eat.......Jim.

Good on ya Jimbo. I'll be swinging by your place to pick up the tinnie.

Dave

Black_Rat
24-02-2009, 06:47 PM
After exposure on Nuggets Fishing show a few Sundays ago a little birdie tells me there will be more exposure tommorow morning between 7:30am - 8:00am for SOBA and the rally on Nova 106.9 FM ;D

Black_Rat
24-02-2009, 07:53 PM
All,

I have attached the relevant Terms and Conditions of the rally Permit that pertain to participants of the rally. These are the T&Cs set by QP and must be adhered too. :)

We sould also:
Keep placards and banners to a tasteful manner.
Keep the public on side.
Obey all traffic rules at all times.
Be patient with other road users and pedstrians when traveling through the city, Give Way if need be.
Be patient and not enter a blocked intersection (lights change quickly in the city).
Be understanding that not everyone will agree with what we are trying to achieve.
Be proud of who/what you are representing, the health and fishing sustainability of Moreton Bay.
Above all enjoy the rally ;)

Damo.

If the orginisers, marshalls or QP believe people are acting outside the T&Cs set down or are acting contrary the the aim of the rally they will be asked to leave the rally.

Angla
25-02-2009, 02:25 AM
The terms and conditions seem fair but I will be there anyway. I will see you at the BBQ too. Will get the boat out and drag it along for the trip.

Chris

Jackinthebox
25-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Gotta work at 1 o'clock on the Goldy but I should be able to get there & back in time. Had to swap a shift to try & make this happen.

I was going to give this rally a miss as It was getting too hard with the work situation, but then I thought how important it is for our fishing opportunities in the future. I have been at the previous rallies so what the heck, third time's a charm hey?

If I can make the effort to drag the boat up from the Gold Coast to Northside Brisbane, surely some of you guys that live closer to the area are not writing the exercise off as too much effort? Get off your arses and show the bastards we are not going away!

Good work on organising the whole deal Timi, Damo, Chris, etc - sorry I can't make it to the BBQ, gotta get straight back on the highway to the goldy.

Cheers,
Mick

rando
25-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Ill be there.
I hope we get a good turn -out.

Scalem
26-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Buggar! Major show stopper for me I can't get out of, sorry I can't be there guys.

And it's not the fishermans' almanac telling me fishing will peak right in the middle of the rally!!:-X

Good luck!

Scalem

kingtin
26-02-2009, 05:59 PM
My apologies for non-attendance. The deckie has been unable to change her shifts and I can't drive thanks to gout.

My thanks to all those who are making the effort on my kid's behalf.

kev

Ausfish
26-02-2009, 07:54 PM
We will be there, but Eileen and I both have clients booked in at 12 that we could not change. Tried very hard but just isn't going to happen. So will have to pull out of the line at some stage and bolt to work. Will stick it out as long as we can.

Will be there with the big orange yak on top. You will not be able to miss us.

Chris Ryan
26-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Press releases went out today. Hopefully more press coming tomorrow too...TV wise that is.

catfish55
27-02-2009, 05:52 PM
it's this sort of defetist attatude that lets the greens and the labour govenment get away with it all ....bugger them all should be therprotesting we should have a flotela as well so people with boats that arn't on trailers can protest as well.it's not only the GREEN zones rego has almost gone up 100%
good old labour for the hard workers ...year bullshit wont get my vote this year....
should be ringing all your mates and smother the place, let the lnp see that were her to make a noise

robersl
27-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi Guys sorry i was coming with bells on but my wife has taken ill with very bad stomach pains after tests today i have to take her back to the doctor in the morning i hope things go well and i will be there in spirit not that that counts for much

shane

Chris Ryan
27-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Shane,

Family always comes first in my books mate. You wishing us the best of luck and having positive thoughts will pay off mate; karma has a way of working. ;)

Hope your wife gets better soon and all is OK and the tests are fine.

Cheers,
Chris

lippa
27-02-2009, 08:42 PM
my apologies as well guys, it was my plan to tow through the city then head on down to tipplers for a dirty w/end with the old girl.
as we all know family's throw spanners in the works, baby sitters not available until 10am now, which means i will miss the boat, so to speak.

good luck guys, and a very big thank you to the organisers and participants. I'm sure this will be a great success.

cheers

lippa

TimiBoy
28-02-2009, 05:56 AM
my apologies as well guys, it was my plan to tow through the city then head on down to tipplers for a dirty w/end with the old girl.
as we all know family's throw spanners in the works, baby sitters not available until 10am now, which means i will miss the boat, so to speak.

good luck guys, and a very big thank you to the organisers and participants. I'm sure this will be a great success.

cheers

lippa

Bah! Put the kid in the cabin. You won't hear it there!!!!;D;D;D

Have a great day, I'm disappointed, I was looking forward to meeting you! We'll be on the News tonight.

Cheers,

Tim

Horse
28-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I won't be able to attend due to other commitments. Hopefully it is a successful as the earlier events.
I am not convinced that the SOBA message is getting through to the general population. Many forum members are still unclear if this is a protest against Bay closures or one against environmental vandalism by the governing bodies or even what is hoped to be achieved through the event.
Hopefully we get more than the usual group in attendance.
I may be able to swing by later to Comslie to see how things went

Good Luck

Neil

Cheech
28-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I was a little like that Neil. After attending the last 2 rallies and the whole fishing party thing. But was pleasantly surprised with the turnout, and particularly the coverage we got and listening to the opposition leader talking as if he was reading a SOBA script. Was a great success no matter how you look at it.

Cheech