PDA

View Full Version : First boat advice - Nautiglass V17 (AKA Vickers Easyrider?)

timbo1
17-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Hey all.

Looking at buying my first boat and fretting over the decision. I'm looking for a boat for fishing outside the heads a little and some spearfishing work.

I've found a Nautiglass V17 but it's really hard to dig up info on this boat. I think it may also be known as a Vickers Easyrider (unsure of model name or number).

The one I'm looking at is powered by an 11 year old 70HP Yamaha 2-stroke. I'm a little worried it's going to be underpowered.

Anybody own one or had any experience with one?

Cheers,
Tim

FNQCairns
17-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Hey all.

Looking at buying my first boat and fretting over the decision. I'm looking for a boat for fishing outside the heads a little and some spearfishing work.

I've found a Nautiglass V17 but it's really hard to dig up info on this boat. I think it may also be known as a Vickers Easyrider (unsure of model name or number).

The one I'm looking at is powered by an 11 year old 70HP Yamaha 2-stroke. I'm a little worried it's going to be underpowered.

Anybody own one or had any experience with one?

Cheers,
Tim

strictly no such thing as underpowered just as long as it has enough power to plane, it's more a question of a how fast do you want to go (cruise at).

Let me know the prop pitch and assuming it reaches full RPM I or someone else can let you know how fast it will go.

cheers fnq

Steeler
17-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Hi Timbo1

I had a Easyrider 510 ( 17ft ) and gotta be honest with the exception of the Haines V16R it was the best boat i owned.They were a well layed out boat for its size.We fished 4 adults in it no probs and a very spacious cab.I am 6ft tall and the way the floor dropped down in the cab made for good headroom unlike the stejy"s of the same era and i could also lay flat on the bunks.Handled a treat ouside to.Mine originally had a 4 cyl blueband dizzy model 85HP but had been rebuilt with Wiseco parts so went ok.I changed it later on with a inline 6 cyl dizzy mariner 115HP ( 15P Aluminium prop ) and made a huge difference.These hulls are getting on now and i can't stress enough to have it thoroughly checked in the floor and transom.If i was to go back to a half cab and looking in the under $8k range i would put one of these at the top of my list.As far as underpowered FNQ is spot on the money.If ya not going to be using it for some bridge to bridge racing and it is propped and pitched right it should do what you want it to do.

Cheers

Steve

Noelm
18-02-2009, 12:24 PM
I guess the main thing to remember about these is that they were more or less "budget built" and as such, care is needed to make sure the floor and Transom is all OK, other wise, some hefty repair bills are on the way, not too sure about the well laid out comments, they were sparse at best, usually a couple of seats and side pockets, that was it, they went OK, a long way short of modern designs, but still OK.

oldboot
18-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Remember when buying a used boat or any smallish boat for that matter the motor is a significant portion of the value.....in fact in many cases the cost of a new motor would be much greater that the cost of the whole used package.

so you realy need to establish the health and quality of the motor.

cheers

TunaKing2008
18-02-2009, 03:50 PM
maybe you should post a few more details like your budget, type of fishing/diving you want to do, your location and locations you will be fishing. stuff like that the guys on this site could dig up a few boats for you to have a look at great time to be buying a boat at the moment heaps on the market. also make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing to check it no use in throwing your hard earned $$$ at a lemon

timbo1
18-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Hey thanks for the replies all.

I'll make sure I get the transom, floor and motor checked by a professional. Seems to be the biggest problems I'll face.

The boat I'm looking at is priced at $10k which seems to be on the expensive side of things. The motor is fairly recent (1998) and the owner claims it's in good nick. Same with the floor and transom but who knows. The trailer is brand new and it has a new canopy and marine carpet though.

Does it sound like a good deal?

maybe you should post a few more details like your budget, type of fishing/diving you want to do, your location and locations you will be fishing.

Well I'm looking for something for fishing and spearfishing outside the heads (a little bit inside, but all the good stuff is out!). I think I'd like the half cabin layout with a canopy for the girlfriend and if we get some bad weather.

Want to have room for at least 3 people comfortably but 4 at most. Towing with an X-Trail so I'm kinda maxing out at about a 5.5m boat.

If possible I'd like to travel to the shelf some times but I'm aware a lot of boats can't cope....

My budget is $10k.

Cheers for your help all.

MEGA'bite
18-02-2009, 05:41 PM
you wil get a better boat for 10k dont b in a hurry keep looking

TunaKing2008
18-02-2009, 06:01 PM
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6764096
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6746023
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6819015
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6743650
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=6738455
http://boatpoint.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=3036664
had a bit of a look come up with these. number 1,5 and 6 are all proven offshore hulls and all fall within your budget, i would condsider these as a min if you wanted to see some shelf action. number 1 would be my choice due to size. number 3 believe is the boat your looking at not bad but shop around first. come on guys take a look at the boats or suggest some we can all remember what it was like buying your first boat its not easy

Steeler
18-02-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi Tunaking2008

Good work, My thoughts are No1 and a VERY close second No3. Given the budget and bang for buck.Another few grand and Timbo1 is going to be very close to V17L territory,worth some consideration.

Cheers

Steve

timbo1
19-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Thanks Tunaking2008, I'll have a look at those.

I'm starting to think the shelf may be off limits for a while I might just go with a 17' coastal fishing boat.

What are everyones thoughts on Stejcraft half cabins of the '80s?

Steeler
19-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Hi timbo1

I have had both the easyrider 5.1 and stejy 5.2 half cab mid 80's and in my opinion the the easyrider has it all over the stejy.I know they may seem little picky things but the space under the bunks was better in the e/rider also had a decent size anchor well with hatch as apposed to the stejy that had a very shallow one with no hatch.Cab space seemed more generous in the e/rider with the drop down floor than the stejy yet still seemed to have better outside space also ( that was my point in a previous post regarding lay out FOR THAT VINTAGE OF BOAT AND BUDGET!!! ).The other thing that really peeved me off was the design down the back of the boat,almost bloody impossible to work down the back of the boat under the rear moulded seats as they were so bloody deep and the side pocket space was limited down the side because of the shape of them.It may seem a little picky but gee it made things hard when trying to play with wiring or bilge pump and other things down under back that i like to check from time to time.

These are just my thoughts having owned both of them previously but i have no doubt someone on here will probably disagree with everything i have said here ( LOL ).

If it came down to a choice of the two in my opinion the easrider for me.Even better if it had a black "tower of power" hanging off the back.

Cheers

Steve