PDA

View Full Version : Centre or Side Console Help

Parrot_King
16-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Could anyone please post some photos of some side or centre consoles they have fitted to there tinnys so i can get some ideas for my boat, its a Allycraft 445 Sioux.

any help would be great

cheers Mike

sporty1
17-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Hi

had the side console made up and fitted myself. By the way it is up for sale for about 5k if anyone interested.

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks Sporty1

come on people need to see more pictures to get some ideas, also any information on your setups would be great

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Has anyone fitted a side console to a tinny with 2 thwart seats?

mine still has the 2 thwarts so anty ideas would be good in order to work out how to do this

moater
17-02-2009, 12:38 PM
I'm in the process of fitting a centre console to my Sea Jay 4.55 Magnum..might get it finished one day soon and actually get in the tail-end of the Victorian season down here.;)

When I was looking for inspiration/ideas early on I would troll through ebay listings & forums and copy some setups that I liked.It's a good way to get together a whole heap of pictures for ideas.

What sort of fishing are you mainly going to do with it??..if mainly estuary you could look at a side console just forward of the rear thwart and attach a swivel seat to the thwart.Also seen consoles attached to the front thwart putting you more central to the boat.A few things to think about such as the type of fishing and conditions you'll use it,weight distribution and allround useability.I went with a centre console that allows me to stand up and steer as I have a crook back + I like the better vision from standing up.Also I'll mainly be fishing by myself (no mates :'().

Darren

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 12:50 PM
thanks moater

i will be mainly using it for estury fishing but would like to head a couple of kms offshore on a good day.

im just not sure on how i can do this as i still have 2 thwart seats mounted in the boat. what could i do to set everything up properly?

any ideas

ronnien
17-02-2009, 01:24 PM
mike,
i fitted a custom built side console & was much cheaper then buying 1 from any shop! this is how i set mine up with the back thwart seat.

ron.

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 04:25 PM
thanks ronnien

looks great, who made the console? how much did it cost?

do you find it works ok with the thwart seats still in there

ronnien
17-02-2009, 06:31 PM
mike,
i got the console made by a alloy fabricator, the cost was about $200 cash & is much bigger than any that i looked at in the boat shops. no probs with it at all standing or sitting, the windscreen cost $160 fitted. chartplotter & sounder sits on top plenty of room under for battery & other things, i put in a 5 switch panel, a glove box on the side & recently a 4 rod rack on the front. also on the inside i have a lure mate which holds 10 lures. for the steering cable, sounder cable &
all other cables i cut the end off a rod holder turned it upside down & screwed it from under the floor (cut a hole in floor for this).

ron.

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 09:00 PM
thanks ronnien

so would you suggest i design my own console or would a pre made one work just as good

ronnien
17-02-2009, 10:01 PM
well thats up to you, cost was a issue with me. everyone i seen in a boat shop was to small, & i did not want plastic . seen 1 in b.f & you would not have been able to get your feet in there so a battery would have been out of the question & @ $400 $%#@ that! what i did was sat down with pen & paper drew my boat & than drew where i wanted to put things, & thats the way it has turned out.
my boat is a flat bottom otherwise if it was a v- bottom i might have put the console in the middle down the back. but yeah if you can get 1 made to what you want go for it.

ron.

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 10:34 PM
thanks ronnien

anychance you have anymore pictures of your boat you could email or post up

by the way wat size is your console

ronnien
17-02-2009, 10:42 PM
i will get it out tomorrow & take some more pics & will let you know about how big it is . i have some pics in my photo gallery of the boat.

ron.

Parrot_King
17-02-2009, 10:49 PM
thanks ron

will check ur photo gallery

yeah some more pics tomorrow would be good

reel scream
17-02-2009, 11:47 PM
Nice Ron. By the looks its a pity that seat cant be your Large esky?

Cheers Scott

ronnien
18-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Nice Ron. By the looks its a pity that seat cant be your Large esky?

Cheers Scott

scott,
i use a 105ltr tropical, doubles as a set & people just move it around to balance the boat out. would be nice to have the back thwart seat as a long esky... fit those big macks in;D

ron.

BREAMBOSS01
18-02-2009, 07:29 AM
gday got center console in 4.4 magnum an it was fitted with sikaflex to the back of the front thwart. for the console and few other bits of welding was 600 bucks. will post some pics when it stops raining so can get the boat out.

moater
18-02-2009, 08:28 AM
Nice little console ronnien!

I too got one made up as I didn't like the idea of paying heaps for a plastic Bermuda one that didn't quite fit my purpose IMO.

I went and bought some 3mm marine-grade aluminium sheet and took it to a local engineering firm.The plate cost about $200 and the fabrication cost $300..bit pricey for fabrication and I reckon if I'd travelled a bit I might have gotten a better deal - I live in a small rural community.Anyway for $500 total I've got a solid console that will outlast me.The size is 1150mm high x 550mm wide x 500 deep.I kind of wish I'd gotten a slightly smaller one made,as far as depth goes,as I'm not putting it hard up against the front thwart as originally planned.I want to be able to utilize the front area better and also be standing more central for a better ride.This has meant a bit of a trade-off with a bit of room lost behind the console,but as I said I'll mostly be fishing by myself..apart from taking my little boy when he's a bit bigger (he's 4).I also wanted heaps of storage room in the console to keep things out of the way.

The wooden floor in the Sea Jay is a bit soft for my liking so I put some leftover plate down to fasten the console to,making it much more secure and stiffening up the floor a bit.I've got a few 316 stainless bolts holding the plate down & some others to hold the console to that.Don't want all of that total weight heading skyward like a missile,with me hanging onto it!!;D..funny mental picture though.:P:o;D

Use duralac or other bonding paste when fixing dissimilar metals together.Just to minimize/avoid electrolytic corrosion.

Another thing to consider if you're good with your hands is to make one out of fibreglassed ply which would save you quite a bit of $$ possibly.Just take a bit longer maybe?

Darren

moater
18-02-2009, 08:44 AM
A couple of pics..hope I haven't insulted someone by posting a picture of their boat.::)

ronnien
18-02-2009, 11:47 AM
gday got center console in 4.4 magnum an it was fitted with sikaflex to the back of the front thwart. for the console and few other bits of welding was 600 bucks. will post some pics when it stops raining so can get the boat out.

would like to see them pics.

ron.

Nice little console ronnien!

I too got one made up as I didn't like the idea of paying heaps for a plastic Bermuda one that didn't quite fit my purpose IMO.

I went and bought some 3mm marine-grade aluminium sheet and took it to a local engineering firm.The plate cost about $200 and the fabrication cost $300..bit pricey for fabrication and I reckon if I'd travelled a bit I might have gotten a better deal - I live in a small rural community.Anyway for $500 total I've got a solid console that will outlast me.The size is 1150mm high x 550mm wide x 500 deep.I kind of wish I'd gotten a slightly smaller one made,as far as depth goes,as I'm not putting it hard up against the front thwart as originally planned.I want to be able to utilize the front area better and also be standing more central for a better ride.This has meant a bit of a trade-off with a bit of room lost behind the console,but as I said I'll mostly be fishing by myself..apart from taking my little boy when he's a bit bigger (he's 4).I also wanted heaps of storage room in the console to keep things out of the way.

The wooden floor in the Sea Jay is a bit soft for my liking so I put some leftover plate down to fasten the console to,making it much more secure and stiffening up the floor a bit.I've got a few 316 stainless bolts holding the plate down & some others to hold the console to that.Don't want all of that total weight heading skyward like a missile,with me hanging onto it!!;D..funny mental picture though.:P:o;D

Use duralac or other bonding paste when fixing dissimilar metals together.Just to minimize/avoid electrolytic corrosion.

Another thing to consider if you're good with your hands is to make one out of fibreglassed ply which would save you quite a bit of $$ possibly.Just take a bit longer maybe?

Darren

your young falla is old enough now to take out!, i started taking my young falla out when he was 2, now he turns 6 this year & has caught some very nice fish all by himself. would like to see some pics of your console also.
will get some more pics of mine later today when she is fully loaded with rods etc...
mine is 1mtr high with screen
7ocm high without screen
45cmwide
40cm deep & is made from 5mm alloy.
parrot king, how about taking some pics of yours for all to see;D

ron.

Parrot_King
18-02-2009, 11:57 AM
wouldnt be any good taking pics of a empty tinny

i will once i do the conversion

Parrot_King
19-02-2009, 01:28 AM
bump......

Parrot_King
19-02-2009, 11:39 AM
would anyone reccomend using the premade plastic consoles from Bias boating?

if so would side or centre comnsole be better

Parrot_King
19-02-2009, 08:46 PM
anymore pictures people would really like to see your setup

Parrot_King
20-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Anymore pictures people would really like to see your setup

Parrot_King
21-02-2009, 06:44 PM
anyone got any pictures of a premade plastic console thats got all electrics mounted?

do the plastic consoles have enough space to mount a sounder, gps, switch panel & 27 meg radio ?

Parrot_King
22-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Anyone got any pictures of a premade plastic consoles from Bias Boating or BLA thats got all electrics mounted so i can see how it all fits

do the plastic consoles have enough space to mount a sounder, gps, switch panel & 27 meg radio ?

Parrot_King
23-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Come on people can anyone share some pictures of there polyethelyene consoles all rigged up so i can see how much space they have for instruments

bigtez
23-02-2009, 07:08 AM
My tinny. Has a 25 Merc Seapro on the back that I have converted to forward steer.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj221/terrylangham/IMG_6148.jpg

Horse
23-02-2009, 07:20 AM
A centre console will be much safer if you want to stand up in rough conditions. I did not like the height of the plastic one so built a fibreglass one. The usually work well with a CC attached to the front thwart and use an esky as a seat. Add some ply and carpet to make front and rear platforms (and storage areas) and you are all set

Parrot_King
23-02-2009, 09:37 AM
thanks horse

anychance you have some pictures you can post or email me

nice rig bigtez

BREAMBOSS01
23-02-2009, 08:41 PM
here are some pics of the centre console in 4.4 magnum.......

sorry for taking so long

Parrot_King
23-02-2009, 09:21 PM
thanks breamboss01

anychance of some more pics of the full iside of the boat?

BREAMBOSS01
24-02-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah ill put some up tomorrow afternoon......

also did you recieve the email i sent you.....?

Parrot_King
24-02-2009, 08:14 PM
yeah i got the email.

looking forward to seeing the pics tomorrow

BREAMBOSS01
26-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Here are a few of the inside of the boat showing the console against the front thwart......

sporty1
26-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi

I had biught a new fridge. Used the heavy duty cardboard to make a console then with a stanlet knife continued to modify it and change things until I had the style I wanted. Wife thought I was mad sitting in the tinnie in the garage working all this out but it was an effective way of making suire it all fitted.I then had the console made up for $300 put in a plate floor and simply pop riveted the console to the floor.

GBC
26-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Would it be worth seeing if polycraft might sell you one of theirs - they do various styles and I'd imagine they'd be a cheap option compared to some of the prices being mentioned?

Parrot_King
01-03-2009, 02:32 AM
Thanks GBC

do you think they would be reasonably priced