PDA

View Full Version : Who's Got a MakoCraft ET 390 / 420

StevenM
16-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Ok all

looking at getting another one of these stlye boats and am looking at the ET 390 /420.

Who's got one,

Whats your thoughts

Pro's n Con's

Feel free to PM

Rowdy_2002
17-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Gday Steven

I have the ET 440 with a 60HP fourstroke. I have also had a bimini fitted and a plumbed live bait well but apart from that it is pretty stock standardI have only been out a couple of times so my feedback is based on these few trips.

Pros
Great stable boat
Plenty of room to fish from
Great storage space in front of boat
Feels a safe boat when underway and at rest.

Cons
Driver gets plenty of water over the side when running head on at 45 to a chop.

Overall I am happy with the boat... The only thing I would possibly want is a side console as it gets a bit hard with the tiller steer on the 60HP.

Greg

abbykait
18-02-2009, 07:10 PM
I have the 390, great boat. I have just started to add floors etc to it. I can get to 20-23knots with a older 25hp suzuki 2 stroke. Really stable, I'm pretty big and can stand right on the side without the boat rolling much at all.

StevenM
19-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Yeah

was thinking of going basic myself and adding as I go.

Thumbsuckers
20-02-2009, 09:10 PM
G'Day mate.

I've got a 420 bought in Dec 2007. It's a standard one with thwart seats which I optioned up with floor, casting deck, wide sides, piece of cake for sounder and electric. Didn't want painted as I do a lot of crabbing.

Boat is very stable (2 m beam) and goes well. Real easy to get on and off trailer by yourself. It's an ideal casting platform.

Couple of issues with it though. First, it sits down at the nose a bit probably due to the weight of the deep cycle battery up the front. That means it doesn't like lumpy water much at lower speeds (although I don't go out when too rough).

Second is the motor. I've put a 30 Tohatsu on it which I thought would be adequate power wise - and it is - to a point. Put plenty of gear in it and it slows up a bit. A 40 would mean a bit more in reserve and the extra weight at the back might offset the weight up front. Not sure how it would take a 40 four stroke? 2 stroke might be better (lighter) - I'm guessing. I guess it depends how fast you want to go. Whatever motor you get, it would be handy to have one with gears on the tiller as the gap between the thwart and the gear lever means you have to lean back a little although not too bad.

Third, the sides are lower than the 440 which in my view affects its sea keeping ability.

If I was buying again, I'd get the 440 with a 50hp with trim and all the same add ons I have now.

Hope that helps.