PDA

View Full Version : Outboard prices

Bennywise
16-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Hello,

I am in the finally stages of picking a boat package and it is coming down to which motor I go with.

I am finding that mercs are around 2k cheaper than the other brands, Honda, e-tec, Yamaha etc.. in the 40-60hp class.

To me that is a big difference and I am leaning towards the merc because of the price. My questions are:

Are the Merc 4st a good motor in the 40-60HP class?
Why the big price difference with other brands?
will I have better resale if I paid more and went with one other the brands?

Thanks in advance

Ben

FNQCairns
16-02-2009, 04:19 PM
For 2K cheaper you would have to hold me back!!!...that's like 25% or better!?

cheers fnq

frankgrimes
16-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Hello,

I am in the finally stages of picking a boat package and it is coming down to which motor I go with.

I am finding that mercs are around 2k cheaper than the other brands, Honda, e-tec, Yamaha etc.. in the 40-60hp class.

To me that is a big difference and I am leaning towards the merc because of the price. My questions are:

Are the Merc 4st a good motor in the 40-60HP class?
Why the big price difference with other brands?
will I have better resale if I paid more and went with one other the brands?

Thanks in advance

Ben

Nothing wrong with the Merc 4 bangers mate - I've got a 50 and can't fault it....great fuel economy, and reliable.

There was a thread recently on them: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=144902

Hard to justify an extra $2k imo.

Mick

cormorant
16-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Notice some brands have just increased warranties and are doing cash factory rebates on larger models. Finally we are getting similar deals to the USA. There will be a couple of those smaller end of season boat shows where dealers clear stock coming up soon and if the factory has already offered incentives hopefully the prices will stay down a bit as they were getting silly.

Bargain with the dealer about getting the next couple of services free as well or a stainless prop , , motor cover , trailer travel bracket spare impeller and plugs, or a second tank and get it packages up with the discount.

For once the buyers are in the drivers seat as dealers just aren't turning over stock.

I still find it hard to justify teh 4stroke prices over 2 strokes unless you do alot of hours but resale is a lot different.

See if the dealers have any demo models with full warranty as at the end of out season new models get released OS so they start selling off the local ones and dealers have them offered to them. Already run in at good prices with full warranty - money in your pocket as they don't die from the extra hours.

garman1
17-02-2009, 09:55 AM
check if your sounder is compatable with the other motors, mercs can tap into a mercs electrics and give you complete information with what is happening with the motor, from the front console, well that is from a navman gps unit anyway.

finga
17-02-2009, 10:11 AM
Go the Merc.
$2K is a lot of drinking silver.
Resale is not that much different to the rest...other then Honda that is ;)
As a side note, and if it's not too personal... what will the Merc. cost??

Steeler
17-02-2009, 10:23 AM
Go the Merc,once you've had black you never go back or in my case grey !!!!!!!!!.Seriously though have a few buddies with 4 stroke Mercs and are really pleased.

Cheers

Steve

roydsy
17-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a 4 stroke merc (yammy block) and apart from beign slightly heavier its been flawless.

What surprises me is the lack of transparency in pricing of outboard motors. Is anyone aware of any price watch or price comparison or even motor brokers???

I am looking at getting a new motor and boat soon when I sell the full boar.

I use a car broker for my recent purchase of a 08 xtrail, surprised there isn't any engine brokers???

Roydsy

cormorant
17-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Roydsy

Not officially but if you post a price here there is generally someone else who knows if it is resonable as there are people in all states logged on. In NSW at the minute the marine industry is a bit dead- no money, average weather, late Summer, late warm current down coast , high fuel price , no work in mines, NSW ecconomy up shit creek and dealers going broke. Some good value around and dealers who need to clear stock to get cash in the door or to keep fitting mechanics busy. Many people have stopped servicing their motors and are putting off buying stuff so deals re about in NSW

Good business to start but boy would you put some dealers offside and half the service is actually getting it fitted and correct advice on motor choice and props. Cars are a bit more vanilla like fridges and brokers work well for them but you must remember the brokers in many cases are just a arm of a dealer who gats the extra turnover and ervice trail so offers a better price via volume kickbacks from manufacturers or a referal fee from both sides. If you get it cheaper it doesn't really matter but there is a few tricks with them..

Coontakinta
17-02-2009, 12:21 PM
TLDI mate!

ha ha ha

Mindi
17-02-2009, 12:49 PM
sounds too good to miss...Optis are currently cheaper than other DIs at the 75/90 level too....could be just that they had more forward cover than others and are at a temporary advantage on currency exchange..? who knows (or cares)

Bennywise
17-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Go the Merc.
$2K is a lot of drinking silver.
Resale is not that much different to the rest...other then Honda that is ;)
As a side note, and if it's not too personal... what will the Merc. cost??

Without mentioning the dealers names, these are the average prices I have been given:

Merc 60HP 4st - $7300.00
E-Tec 60hp - $9700.00
Honda 50HP - $9200.00
TLDI 50HP - $8300.00

Ben

Bennywise
17-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Without mentioning the dealers names, these are the average prices I have been given:

Merc 60HP 4st - $7300.00
E-Tec 60hp - $9700.00
Honda 50HP - $9200.00
TLDI 50HP - $8300.00

Ben

BTW these are tiller pricing.

Ben

Coontakinta
17-02-2009, 03:27 PM

Merc 60HP 4st - $7300.00
E-Tec 60hp - $9700.00
Honda 50HP - $9200.00
TLDI 50HP - $8300.00

Ben

WOW:o

Think you could do MUCH better on a TLDI than that.

If that was the way you were heading, try checking the pricing with a few dealers as there are sometimes last years plated models with VERY substantial savings sitting in the store at Lakeside.

I saved plenty on mine that way8-)

Bennywise
17-02-2009, 03:55 PM
WOW:o

Think you could do MUCH better on a TLDI than that.

If that was the way you were heading, try checking the pricing with a few dealers as there are sometimes last years plated models with VERY substantial savings sitting in the store at Lakeside.

I saved plenty on mine that way8-)

I was going to go this option as I have been told they are good motors and well priced... Apparantly pricing went up in Jan, I have rung around a few local dealers (brisbane) and this was the best they could do...

Ben

Scott nthQld
17-02-2009, 03:57 PM
If you can save some dollars on the merc, go that way, there's very little difference between the performance of outboards in this size range, the only thing that would separte them would be dealer servicing, as warranty would be pretty comparable also.

Have you tried Yamaha? We got our (though a few years ago now) 60hp 4st, for 8200 fitted with hydralic steering, forward controls, plus a stainless prop. Might be worth considering as well, no doubt the tiller option will be cheaper than that too.

Bennywise
17-02-2009, 04:06 PM
If you can save some dollars on the merc, go that way, there's very little difference between the performance of outboards in this size range, the only thing that would separte them would be dealer servicing, as warranty would be pretty comparable also.

Have you tried Yamaha? We got our (though a few years ago now) 60hp 4st, for 8200 fitted with hydralic steering, forward controls, plus a stainless prop. Might be worth considering as well, no doubt the tiller option will be cheaper than that too.

Sorry, I left that one out:

Yamaha 60HP 4st tiller: $8700.00

Still up there with the rest of them...

Ben

kingtin
17-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Had the 25 merc, then the mercruiser, and now got the 90 4 stroke. Never had a peep from any of them and I'm over the moon with the 4 stroke economy and noise.............she looks a beast too ;D

kev

Wahoo
18-02-2009, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=cormorant;971797] Finally we are getting similar deals to the USA. .

I still find it hard to justify teh 4stroke prices over 2 strokes unless you do alot of hours but resale is a lot different.

cormorant, can you give me a bit more detail on the pricing same as the us

i have been looking at a few in the last 2 weeks here in Cairns, the 2 stroke is right up there in $$$$

250 Verado 08 29000k

250 E-Tec 09 26390 + steering ....... 08 300 E-Tec 25k + steering

250 zook 09 27507 + steering

Bennywise
18-02-2009, 05:20 PM
[quote=cormorant;971797] Finally we are getting similar deals to the USA. .

cormorant, can you give me a bit more detail on the pricing same as the us

i have been looking at a few in the last 2 weeks here in Cairns, the 2 stroke is right up there in $$$$

250 Verado 08 29000k

250 E-Tec 09 26390 + steering ....... 08 300 E-Tec 25k + steering

250 zook 09 27507 + steering

G'day mate,

I think he was referring to old school 2st's.

Even then, once you add PT&T, electric start etc... there is generally < $1000 difference between old school 2st and 4st. If you didnt want the above features on your 2st, yes it would be alot cheaper, however I'm not interested in a 50 or 60HP without the above extras.

Ben

cormorant
18-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Was comparing old style and also that some brands are finally giving proper non declining 3, 5 amd 7 year waranty on some models. They did that as a promo in the USA over winter but USA has often had better warranty years than Australia.

The ETECS and HDPIetc I find a bit expensive as with so amny fewer parts shouldn't they be cheaper ?? don't answer that.

I note a few dealers in Aus are also saying they will extend warranty if they do services for some regular loyal clients. Not sure it is factory backed but at least they are trying to keep customers and know the product well enough to trust it won't die unless it is mistreated or has a genuine failure.

Almako
10-03-2009, 10:42 PM
There is a complete motor price list in F&B March 2009 magazine. Starts on page 72 and ends on page 76

roydsy
11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks mate shall take a look. It would be good if they ran a regular price update. Keep some transparency in prices.

roydsy

Ocean_Spirit
11-03-2009, 07:51 AM
Mate that E-TEC price isn't right - have a ring around or go to another dealer.

whatscracken
11-03-2009, 07:56 AM
No brainer for me, I'd go the fuel injected Yamaha 60hp. They are fully optioned, quiet and have great full economy. When something is clearly a lot cheaper than is rivals/competition IMO I believe you get what you pay for.

roydsy
11-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Yeah in the 60HP class that is one stand out motor....cant go wrong with a 60HP yammy.

No brainer for me, I'd go the fuel injected Yamaha 60hp. They are fully optioned, quiet and have great full economy. When something is clearly a lot cheaper than is rivals/competition IMO I believe you get what you pay for.

iceknight
11-03-2009, 12:58 PM
go the 60merc bigfoot. :) niiiiice engines.... ;)

White Pointer
11-03-2009, 07:40 PM
I have a 4 stroke merc (yammy block) and apart from beign slightly heavier its been flawless.

What surprises me is the lack of transparency in pricing of outboard motors. Is anyone aware of any price watch or price comparison or even motor brokers???

I am looking at getting a new motor and boat soon when I sell the full boar.

I use a car broker for my recent purchase of a 08 xtrail, surprised there isn't any engine brokers???

Roydsy

G'day,

F&B magazine publish engine RRP each month. That is just a starting point, I know, but when you see one manufacturer 20% above other brands it's a good starting point.

Mercury/Mariner haven't shifted prices since the A$ tanked. They must do so soon. The Japanese lifted between 5% and 20+%. That was because they didn't have a lot of stock cover.

They are all good motors, these days, and the Mercury Optimax 2-strokes warrant consideration by recreational boaters as well. Cheaper to buy, good hole shot, pretty economical, reliable and should have lower servicing costs than a 4-stroke. I don't like the fumes.

Bargain hard - but preferably buy from someone you want to service it and look after you.

White Pointer

whatscracken
11-03-2009, 08:06 PM
Your right pointer, the current market should produce a very good price if you are willing to do the hard yards in bargaining

Outsider1
11-03-2009, 08:11 PM
Your right pointer, the current market should produce a very good price if you are willing to do the hard yards in bargaining

Yes, but just be aware of what you are buying. Old stock could have been in the warehouse for a year or more, sometimes 2 or 3 years. Nothing wrong with them, but you should get them significantly cheaper than the latest year model. Just make sure you ask about model and year (plus what warranty applies) when you are quoted prices.