PDA

View Full Version : No Run but a bit of fun off Townsville

levinge
15-02-2009, 08:42 PM
Yep weather is good, 5-10kts, seas under 1m. For Townsville this is ideal weather, don't worry about the rain, but the change in the tid .32m over a 4 hour period. Who cares, been locked up at home for 3 weeks and now I have a chance to at least get a day on the water.

So we load up the boat and my mate and I head off. Ross River ramp, launch and away. There is still alot of water running out and we navigate out to the entrance. Looking across the bay, no white caps, looking good I push the throttle up and adjust the trim. No dramas, running pretty sweet, we pass Magnetic Island in no time flat. Swell is low and bugger all wind, push the motor to WOT and trim her up. Now we are pushing up on 35 kts. 60 minutes later we are at my Favourite spot. Anchored up and fishing. Not much wind, low swell, no run in the tide and we are swinging all over the shop as the swell and wind were not playing the game.

Anyway we decide to make the best of a bad situation, lines in and we are getting good bites, check the sounder, heaps of show down there. Wasn't long before a sweet looking Nanny is up and in the kill tank. My mate launches an SP to the depth and straight into a Cobia, 10 minute fight and he has it up to the boat. Strange thing about SP's they don't hook as well as the wide gaps etc. So you guessed it, hook out, fish gone and lots of colourful language screamed back in the the water.

We kept a procession of big hits going over the next couple of hours, but whatever they were, they had us dead to rights. Mate hooks up a Bronze Whaler and after 25mins of torture he locks down on the drag and busts off the shark.

Need a rest, we head out to Keeper Reef. Trolled and got 2 enquiries, but no hookups. Dropped the anchor in various locales, 2 trout out of some hiding holes. We ended up catching a heaps of smaller trout, Sweetlip, parrot fish and some strange looking ones also, so the reef is very healthy. About 2pm we pull the pin and head back to Townsville. Sat on 29kts all the way home.

Not the best tide, but surprised us both as we didn't think we'd even get as much actions we did.

Fun day and the itch has been scratched (Just a little bit)

P.S. No photos, missus is in Hong Kong and she has my Camera. Sorry guys

jtpython
15-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Was a still tide everywhere by the sounds mate
JT

levinge
15-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Pretty much, but was surprised we actually got some quality fishing for such a shitty tide.

Fisher4life
15-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Good to hear you also got onto a feed....

We did alright last night, managed to get our limit on nannagi in 2hrs....

Surprised how dirty the water was though....

levinge
15-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Did you fish Keeper, saw a boat heading back about mid morning.

Fisher4life
15-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Did you fish Keeper, saw a boat heading back about mid morning.

No, we were further out

Could have been us, we got back to the ramp a mid-day

horseboy
15-02-2009, 11:19 PM
I just got back from the cape cleveland dropped a barra bout 5pm only a little tacker so i wasnt to worried. Bout all i could find after dark was slateys and sleepy sharks. but still had fun. Brett still thinking about wednesday? .

Wade

levinge
16-02-2009, 07:43 AM
At this it still a goer, just gotta keep and eye on the weather, get all my jobs done and should be right for a fish.

1.5m change through the morning, could be worth the effort, as long as the weather holds for us. Seabreeze showing 7 kts and .7m swell.

horseboy
16-02-2009, 10:00 AM
righto sounds good do you want me to get bait for you as well or you right. I am geed up after last night had fun with the sharks.

Wade

Fishin_Dan
16-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Sounds like there were quite a few nice fish out the reefs this weekend despite the tides. A guy at work got some real nice trout & reds.

levinge
16-02-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah Dan, saw heaps of show on the sounder and they were hungry, our problem was that we were dropping in on a few nursery areas and only managed a couple of fish out of them. 2 out probably 30 fish bought into the boat, but the majority of them were trout between 30 and 35cm, so the reef is looking good.

Wade, I still have a heap of Pillies, they seemed to be liking the squid yesterday, so I will be picking up some more squid today. Bring whatever you wish as I think we are going to be able to use everything..

Fishin_Dan
16-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Good luck for Wednesday boys! Hopefully a little more run should kick them into overdrive!

horseboy
16-02-2009, 12:56 PM
Give me a yell if you need a hand with anything

levinge
16-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Nah mate, just you and your gear, boat will be ready to go. Probably fuel up on the way. Leave my place about 6am.