PDA

View Full Version : cnc boat kits

bobbyb
15-02-2009, 01:06 PM
hi all.

is it possible to buy a cnc program for a tried and proven plate boat without

getting ripped on the prise of the ally. your complete dream boat on a disc.:D

with the economy the way it is at the moment you could shop around for

a good prise for the materials and save a fortune.

i realize that the designers are protecting there plans from others mass

producing the boats and selling them as there own .

any info on this subject would be apreciated......... cheers.

suzygs1000
15-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey, Bobby,

At least, up until two years ago, Alucraft were quite prepeared to sell their cad files on a cd to interested parties, and I'm pretty sure that Phil Curran would too. I believe a lot of these files go to overseas manufacturers in Asia.

No idea on price, but I did look into this two years ago, but it seemed like to much mucking around, to maybe save $4-500 on the plates, as average 5 to 6 metre plateye will only be around the 6 /7 sheets per boat, and I wouldn't think they could stick it up you much more than to the tune of $100 bucks per sheet or so.

Keep in mind that you will also have to work out what extrusions you need such as gunnels, rails, keelsons, etc.

I really don't think you would save that much money over the kit price. The big thing would be in freight, as for instance, if you live in a large city where the sheet aluminium is readily available, the freight on the sheets would be much less than if you just bring half a dozen or so sheets up yourself from the kit supplier.

Dave.

bobbyb
15-02-2009, 01:48 PM
thanks suzygs1000.

will research the names you mentioned and you may be rite but cant hurt to look.

thinking in the 8meter rang. cheers.

cbs
15-02-2009, 03:03 PM
bobbyb,

As a freelance marine designer/NA myself, if someone came to me saying they had an inroad to well priced alloy, I would be willing to design such a vessel provided my own design fees are met and paid for by the client. The client would end up with a "kit" of material that is cnc cut but would not at any stage have access to the cnc files. I would of course maintain ownership of said design. Client would also be provided with a set of detailed drawings to go with the kit.

It can be done, just not quite how you might think. CNC data takes some time and effort to create, hence why it is not normally handed out to be copied around.

If you want to know more. pm me.

cbs

Oh Gee
15-02-2009, 09:04 PM
G'day Bobbyb,

Depends on what you mean by a cnc program.

I have found most drawings are sent around the networks as either a .dxf or .dwg file, being the defult settings used by Autocad in most of its foms. These will be the files wanted by the people who have the cnc machine, be it Plasma ($$$), Laser ($$$) or Waterjet($$$). They will then convert the to the format that there particular machine understands,work out the nestings, put in the lead-ins & outs etc ($$$).

If you have a printed copy of the drawings some places will draw them and save them as a .dxf but you will pay for the privilage as it all takes time.

But if you have access to a cnc machine and find the drawing files then ya about a third way there. Then ya got the folding and the welding and the grinding, but somewhere near the end of all this work you will have a nice shiny new boat. (without motor,electrics,electronics,comfy seat etc)

g

p.s. The alloy sheet, what grade have you found? 5005 , 5083 or other?

oldboot
15-02-2009, 11:41 PM
Ahh.... but how do you go about insuring it..... even registering it could be a bit complicated.

you may have to get it surveyed to satisfy the insurer.

cheers

bobbyb
16-02-2009, 04:14 PM
hi cbs.
thanks for your offer, i,ll keep your details incase i decide to go down that road.
oh gee. thanks for the info and the reminder $$$$$$$$$$ and all the other gear
that goes into the boat for final fitt.$$$$$$$$$......... old boot...... your rite to.
never thought about ( no builders plate) rego,insurance,build a trailer.. now
i,m getting tired just thinking about it all. maybe just keep my eye out for a bargain and just go fishing. thanks for the advise guys........ cheers.

dogsbody
16-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Bobby don't know if these dudes are any help to you. They have kits. http://www.platealloy.com/

Dave

cbs
16-02-2009, 06:16 PM
BoobyB and Oldboot,

the builders plate, rego and insurance part isn't all that hard. I've just done the hoop jumping for one recently. Its a bit of stuffing around, but not really much effort in the scheme of building a boat.

cbs

oldboot
17-02-2009, 08:48 AM
One thing to consider, is that, building the hull is something that a manufacturer can do very efficiently.......the trimming and the fit out though is very time consuming........if you are talking about what amounts to a basic boat, purchasing a bare hull may be a viable way to save some $$$$

Take painting for instance.......paint is cheap....it is the labour and preparation that costs......

another real option is to buy a neglected second hand unit and sort it out.

cheers