PDA

View Full Version : What makes the perfect yak rod?

Owen
14-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Sandy & I have just bought a couple of cheapo yaks to see if we like it.
I see it as an excuse to build yet another rod, so the research begins :)

I'm thinking the perfect yak rod would be 5ft 6" - 6ft or so with a medium fast action yet enough flexibility to stand a little "high sticking" whilst hoisting fish into your lap.

I'd be keen to hear from experienced yak'ers as to what they've found works (and maybe more importantly) what has ended in disaster.

tobig
14-02-2009, 01:09 PM
hi owen one thing to a perfect yak rod is make sure it floats

Just_chips
14-02-2009, 08:01 PM
There is a couple of designated kayak rods on the market and they have been made with extra floatation to keep them above the water line instead of on the bottom in case of the unimaginable. Needs to support the weight of the rod and the reel that is connected to it. (I have only lost the one rod , luckily the lure I was trolling was a floater and it eventually surfaced and I got my rod back)

The other thing that you need in a kayak rod is a longer butt section before the reel, so that when they sit in the flush mounted rod holders the reel is kept up above the waterline.

There could also be an anchor point of some sort to connect a lanyard or rod leash to the rod.

I also prefer a little bit more length so that if I need to, the rod can, in my outstretched arm from my seated position, reach past the bow of the yak so that I can steer the line over the nose of the kayak if a fish runs underneath the yak.

That's my 2 cents worth of design features.

Good Luck

Kev

tunaticer
14-02-2009, 09:03 PM
It needs to be sacrificial because kayaks inherently do turn over especially with beach landings and often times the rod comes off worst. I have found 2-4kg rods with about 8-12lb braid to be most effective from the yak. Anything over about 12kg in line strength though can lead to definite risks with snags or unexpected turns in fighting a fish. A rod is a great lever and a kayak offers little resistance to turning over.
I would be looking at 6'6 to 7' rods personally.

Owen
15-02-2009, 01:29 PM
OK, I understand wanting a bit of length to go around the bow if need be.
Do you find this added length to be detrimental when trying to land a fish?

roydsy
15-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Well I use rod leashes and if on the rare occasion I go out in surf... store the rods in the kayak out of the way.

I like using my 1.9m 2-4kg t-curve baitcaster.. teamed up with my 100BSV chronarch with 10lb fins, 20lb leader.... landed a nice 93cm threadie with ease.... I also use a 7 ft trion 6-10kg rod with a daiwa caprice 4000 with 20lb for the heavy stuff, but I seem to spend most time with the t-curve as the length feels right.

I fish out of a hobie outback which is a very stable platform.... ie. can stand up and I am 110kg :)

It needs to be sacrificial because kayaks inherently do turn over especially with beach landings and often times the rod comes off worst. I have found 2-4kg rods with about 8-12lb braid to be most effective from the yak. Anything over about 12kg in line strength though can lead to definite risks with snags or unexpected turns in fighting a fish. A rod is a great lever and a kayak offers little resistance to turning over.
I would be looking at 6'6 to 7' rods personally.

Just_chips
17-02-2009, 10:19 AM
OK, I understand wanting a bit of length to go around the bow if need be.
Do you find this added length to be detrimental when trying to land a fish?

I use 6'6" to 7' rods generally and have not had any probs getting the fish close enough to land. Obviously the rod would be in the opposite hand to a net so you have the width of your body / yak taken off your rod already. Generally I play fish out fairly well before bringing them aboard onto my lap as the last thing I need is a fish full of spikes / teeth going mental in my lap. So the fish are fairly easy to lead by this stage and can often be guided into a waiting net without much fuss.

Kev

BubbleBass
22-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi Owen,

I'm running a pair of t-curves, one 2-4kg and one 3-6kg around the 7ft mark.
I find the length to be excellent for reaching around the front of my Hobie outback when on a fish. I really wouldn't want anything too much shorter.No probs with landing fish alongside just become a little bit handy with the net

Cheers BB (Jake)

Gigantor
15-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Owen,

6' 6' to 7' is now my preferred length. Many reasons -

* to play the fish around the nose of the kayak
* I use braid line and the extra length of the rod tip help reduce shock of the fighting fish
* also extra length is good for casting light lures further
* I use 2 Scotty Rod holders at the front of the cockpit of my Hobie Outback and like trolling 2 lures and using 2 x 7 foot rods gives me a nice wide lure spread (pic).
* 7 foot rods can also be used when fishing from the bank as well (a good all-round length).

Cheers,

Pete