PDA

View Full Version : Warning for epirbs

Zodiac fisho
13-02-2009, 11:58 AM
If you haven't got a new 406 EPIRB in NSW you only have to have proof that you have one on order.
Will be interesting to see if Maritime QLD follow the same course. Check out the link below for information.
http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/news/media-safety_offshore.html

Xahn1960
13-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Interesting outcome, don't know if its really that good though. IMO I don't see the logic of going off shore without ALL of the safety equipment required and in good operational condition. This has been a long time coming and any serious off shore fisherman without a 406 epirb can't really be all that serious. Once in a blue mooners should just wait till they have one. Just my opinion :)

Bill.

cormorant
13-02-2009, 01:19 PM
It's Ok if you sneak out and they don't inspect you then you still get a days fishing in and if they see you on the way in you get a warning ( as long as you have ordered one) .
how much safer could you want it , laugh a lot now - NSW is such a safety concious place as ordering one make you safe and you can forget international rules

See previous announcement

THE HON. JOE TRIPODI MP <~hcustom1:0121 EPIRB Alert.doc>
MINISTER FOR FINANCE
MINISTER FOR INFRASTRUCTURE
MINISTER FOR REGULATORY REFORM
MINISTER FOR PORTS AND WATERWAYS
MEDIA RELEASE
Boaters warned of EPIRB shortage
January 21, 2009
Boaters have again been warned not to delay switching over to the new 406 MHz digital distress beacons amid reports of a global shortage of the new equipment
Ports and Waterways Minister Joe Tripodi said the worldwide switch from 121.5MHz analogue beacons to the more accurate digital model is well underway ahead of the February 1 deadline.
“However, global demand for the new digital beacons has put pressure on NSW and Australian supplies and there are significant backlogs of orders for some models,” Mr Tripodi said.
From February 1, signals from 121.5MHz emergency position indication radio beacons (EPIRB) will no longer be monitored under an international agreement.
“This means Australian rescue services will be unable to detect an analogue distress beacon via satellite,” Mr Tripodi said.
“Maritime authorities have been advising boaters to switch to a 406 EPIRB since July last year, but an international shortage of the new equipment has delayed its uptake around Australia.
“If a particular model of the 406 MHz is unavailable, boaters should consider alternative brands, though we recognise in some cases, EPIRBs ordered months ago have still not been received from suppliers.”
Mr Tripodi said because of the shortages and delays, skippers found not carrying a 406 EPIRB will be given a warning rather than a fine, providing they can prove a digital distress beacon has been ordered.
Boaters will also have to show:
• the vessel is a recreational craft;
• all other required safety equipment is present and functional;
• the vessel is operating within mobile telephone range; and
• the vessel is less than 2 nautical miles from shore.
Mr Tripodi said all commercial operators must meet the requirement to carry a 406MHz EPIRB from February 1.
<~hcustom1:0121 EPIRB Alert.doc>
“However, this commonsense approach for recreational boaters will continue until September 1, when the availability of digital EPIRBs will be reviewed to see if these measures should continue.”
Mr Tripodi said digital EPIRBs will give rescuers faster notification of a vessel in trouble and a more accurate location, enabling a quicker response to a distress signal.
NSW Maritime has worked with the Australian Marine Safety Authority for more than four years to help raise awareness of the change over from 121.5 to 406 beacons.
This has included inserting AMSA material in direct mail to registered boat owners and a range of boating publications as well as promoting the change at public and industry events such as boat shows.

The-easyrider
13-02-2009, 02:05 PM
QUICK we've been swamped grab the photo copy of the eprib order and set it off!!

cormorant
13-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Nah it's Ok use the under water mobile phone because we are in range!!!!

Yeah I'll just dive under the boat and get it cause it'll work

Better laminate that photocopy and carry it at all times

Ok batman - thanks Robin what else is on the ministers tool belt? Absolute f%^&$ing joke and will be ugly when something happens to someone before Sept.

They spent ages telling everyone a mobile wasn't a safety device only to come out with this tripe in NSW

I think they are feeling a bit guilty and don't want any backlash from such a poorly organised introduction of new epirbs

let the spin continue

catcrab
13-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi all, under the current transport regulations(marine safety) queensland you can operate a vessel up to 2 nauticals offshore, without a 406 epirb! so all close reefs like palmy , mermaid and the coffee rocks are all in range.

Drew.

levinge
13-02-2009, 05:42 PM
Interesting, NSW

Take your receipt fishing and if the mobile doesn't work, just activate your receipt and all will be fine.

Jesus what a joke, grow up people, rules are put in place to save not only your life but those of the guys who risk theirs just to come out and rescue you.

If you fish offshore, buy and epirb or just stay off the water - SIMPLE!!!!

FNQCairns
13-02-2009, 06:06 PM
I have been offshore a hundred times and never activated one because they were not invented or where not typically in use in recreation at the time, strangely I am still here, i do feel better for having one now but still my odds of winning reverse lotto in such a way......somehow I very seriously doubt that at any individual level the proof of order will make a dot of difference to the safety statistics.

cheers fnq

SatNav
13-02-2009, 08:25 PM
1. Tripodi is incompetent with regard this issue and should be sacked

2. This NSW so called relaxation of Epirb carriage should be read very carefully especially with regard the mobile phone requirement

3. This NSW policy is totally flawed

4. NSW (Tripodi) has failed to implement this changeover in an acceptable manner

5. Surely Qld wouldn't follow NSW's flawed implementation

cormorant
13-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I have been offshore a hundred times and never activated one because they were not invented or where not typically in use in recreation at the time, strangely I am still here, i do feel better for having one now but still my odds of winning reverse lotto in such a way......somehow I very seriously doubt that at any individual level the proof of order will make a dot of difference to the safety statistics.

cheers fnq

You'll never be a politician as it is all about saying you have doen your job and someone else is to blame and then use statistics to prove your totally invalid point

Think of al the money saved with fewer searches and false alarms - can't wait to see all that money spent on updating current search resources or back to a safer better navigable marine environment

Whoops I'm dreaming again.

Should save lives and allow resources to be directed at real emergencies.

Politicians play reverse lotto everyday and win - god we are stupid in the way we let them run things

Angla
13-02-2009, 09:35 PM
It's Ok if you sneak out and they don't inspect you then you still get a days fishing in and if they see you on the way in you get a warning ( as long as you have ordered one) .
how much safer could you want it , laugh a lot now - NSW is such a safety concious place as ordering one make you safe and you can forget international rules

See previous announcement

THE HON. JOE TRIPODI MP <~hcustom1:0121 EPIRB Alert.doc>
MINISTER FOR FINANCE
MINISTER FOR INFRASTRUCTURE
MINISTER FOR REGULATORY REFORM
MINISTER FOR PORTS AND WATERWAYS
MEDIA RELEASE
Boaters warned of EPIRB shortage
January 21, 2009
Boaters have again been warned not to delay switching over to the new 406 MHz digital distress beacons amid reports of a global shortage of the new equipment
Ports and Waterways Minister Joe Tripodi said the worldwide switch from 121.5MHz analogue beacons to the more accurate digital model is well underway ahead of the February 1 deadline.
“However, global demand for the new digital beacons has put pressure on NSW and Australian supplies and there are significant backlogs of orders for some models,” Mr Tripodi said.
From February 1, signals from 121.5MHz emergency position indication radio beacons (EPIRB) will no longer be monitored under an international agreement.
“This means Australian rescue services will be unable to detect an analogue distress beacon via satellite,” Mr Tripodi said.
“Maritime authorities have been advising boaters to switch to a 406 EPIRB since July last year, but an international shortage of the new equipment has delayed its uptake around Australia.
“If a particular model of the 406 MHz is unavailable, boaters should consider alternative brands, though we recognise in some cases, EPIRBs ordered months ago have still not been received from suppliers.”
Mr Tripodi said because of the shortages and delays, skippers found not carrying a 406 EPIRB will be given a warning rather than a fine, providing they can prove a digital distress beacon has been ordered.
Boaters will also have to show:
• the vessel is a recreational craft;
• all other required safety equipment is present and functional;
• the vessel is operating within mobile telephone range; and
• the vessel is less than 2 nautical miles from shore.
Mr Tripodi said all commercial operators must meet the requirement to carry a 406MHz EPIRB from February 1.
<~hcustom1:0121 EPIRB Alert.doc>
“However, this commonsense approach for recreational boaters will continue until September 1, when the availability of digital EPIRBs will be reviewed to see if these measures should continue.”
Mr Tripodi said digital EPIRBs will give rescuers faster notification of a vessel in trouble and a more accurate location, enabling a quicker response to a distress signal.
NSW Maritime has worked with the Australian Marine Safety Authority for more than four years to help raise awareness of the change over from 121.5 to 406 beacons.
This has included inserting AMSA material in direct mail to registered boat owners and a range of boating publications as well as promoting the change at public and industry events such as boat shows.

This clause IN RED seems to rule out the going wider that 2 nautical mile area. That sounds like they are sticking to the rules as they were written for all. I would not like to venture further than that as I would think the authorities will only have to skirt outside this range to catch out plenty of rec fishers under the thought that they are safe with their reciept for the ordered 406.
Got mine mid last year luckily.

Chris

trueblue
14-02-2009, 12:09 PM
buggered if I will go offshore without an epirb

SatNav
14-02-2009, 01:59 PM
1. Those states that went right down to the date deadline, failed to understand the situation

2. Those states that are indicating a relaxation of the legislation, have failed

3. Those states that implemented legislation in the past six months may have well as failed.

3. Those states (ministers) relaxing the legislation are doing nothing more than pandering to the users and are failing real bad.

SatNav
14-02-2009, 02:05 PM
1. For any person let alone a minister to even suggest let alone legislate the use of mobile phones in this situation highlights zero understanding.

levinge
14-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Satnav I think its called "buying votes"

Although I'd like to be a fly on the wall when he triesy to console the wife of a missing fisho by saying that he had done everything possible to ensure the safety of fisherman at sea. Balls on the block when that one happens.

Safety first, If you aint got one, do fish wide, no matter what some ill-informed Pollie tries to tell you. Its just not worth it.