PDA

View Full Version : Escape with ET-CQ fishing

grahams
13-02-2009, 08:34 AM
A heads up for those interested.

This weekend's Escape with ET show will be based on the Capricorn Coast including last year's Barra Bounty and a fair bit of local reef fishing and jigging. It should come up OK...so us locals can skite about how good the fishing is up this way. Saturday Feb 14 4:00pm Channel 10

rpgs60
13-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the tip! I'll be tuned in.

jtpython
13-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks like we all might have more time to fish with this slow down in Sub divisions Graham
JT

grahams
14-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah JT,
I'm trying to find you guys a couple of jobs now. Hoefully a nice cushy one in Yeppoon. Somebody's gotta pay for the fuel and bait!!!

jtpython
14-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm hearing ya mate
Wether looks like it's taking a good turn this week to i'm loading up for a trip tomorrow.........
Couple of yours were doing charters today weren't they
JT

robersl
14-02-2009, 06:10 PM
damn i missed it

ronnien
14-02-2009, 06:24 PM
robersl,
you did not miss much mate, unless you want to go shopping at kmart.

ron.

grahams
14-02-2009, 08:39 PM
JT
The boys had a good trip today. A lot of red jew in the 6 kg class, drove away from them, and plenty of other bits and pieces. Pillie will probably have some footage next friday. Not sure where you fish, but this time of year try stuff in close, particularly north

Ronnien
We have had a lot of film crews on our boats and ET is the real deal. Most of the fishing shows have to pay their way and suck up to the networks. ET is one of the few that doesn't. What you see is what you get..a good guy who like fishing.
I like him. Of course he has to sell evinrude and toyota and shimano, but thats pretty obvious, the bloke has to make a living. I am hoping he comes back our way this year as he gets a good message out

Steve B
14-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought it was one of his better shows.

Geez that young lady could fish well....looked like she had done it plenty of times before!!

Steve

grahams
14-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Steve B
That was my daughter Molly, who has continually pissed off her brothers by catching all the fish. She's a good kid. Hope she takes her old man fishing when she grows up!!!

darylive
14-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Does your daughter take charters? ::)

But seriously Graham if one were hoping for some time off around July. :)

What would be the target and odds?

grahams
14-02-2009, 09:24 PM
hey its grahams daughter just thought i would say thankyou for all the nicer comments.

"Molly, get off the computer"

The fishing with ET was pretty normal for us any time of the year. In fact the jigging was about as bad as we have had. You might have noticed that the boat was underway while ET was talking about the golden trevally. We were late to get back to the Barra Bounty briefing. Molly's fish at Keppel were literally 15 mins of fisihg between all the deadlines

The weather in July is normally pretty good. You can access the offshore fishing with anything over about 5m. I can aim you in the right direction if you're heading up, otherwise always happy to organise a charter. Have a look at Keppelbay escapes website if you like.
cheers,
graham

jtpython
14-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Cheers Mate
I fish East of Barren some 30 to 40 km on some good ground close to our hearts
Were they on your marks 18 km off wide Grounds or were you closer mate
Just for curiosity (pilly that is)
Mate that was a good ET i thought and was good to have the bit on the Capreef projects i have all their vids for their Camera set ups . I'm taking my daughter tomorrow to she just turned 12 today and loves her fishing to
JT

Steve B
14-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Steve B
That was my daughter Molly, who has continually pissed off her brothers by catching all the fish. She's a good kid. Hope she takes her old man fishing when she grows up!!!

Ahhh yes that would be the life....I cant get my 3 year old daughter out of the boat, I look forward to the day when she is doing the same as Molly!!! It was a great segment. Good luck to you and your kids mate.

Cheers Steve

grahams
16-02-2009, 02:17 PM
JT,
The fish on ET came from the close inshore fern country about 30NM from the harbour to the North East. Although its heavily fished there are still some good fish if you look around. We went that way rather than further basically due to time constraints. We really only had half a day.
Molly's fish were just around the Keppels

jtpython
16-02-2009, 02:57 PM
JT,
The fish on ET came from the close inshore fern country about 30NM from the harbour to the North East. Although its heavily fished there are still some good fish if you look around. We went that way rather than further basically due to time constraints. We really only had half a day.
Molly's fish were just around the Keppels
Yeah i knew where you were around the keppels i was refering to Pillies trip to north
All good mate i would have headed north but the old NW was fairly sloppy in the morning and had a few trawler reports i wanted to check out to the SE that way i knew it would be good to come back to the harbour on

grahams
16-02-2009, 08:27 PM
JT,
The charter on saturday headed north basically along the coast. There were red jew on a lot of the inshore spots, from near the pinnacles thru to north of Perforated. They drove away from the red jew as there's no point killing heaps and had some fum with some shallow water reefies and queenies.
These bag limits still worry me for red jew because they are so easy to catch.Technically the charters on Saturday could have taken 144 red jew!!! I think they took about 35 between 16 anglers on 2 boats.It was possible to catch at least double or triple that...and then probably none for the next 10 years, that's already happened to a lot of ground NE of Outer Rock.

I think the red jew come in chasing prawns flushed out of the creeks this time of year.You can get them at spots like Cape Cap, LIsa, Tamoi, Greasy Alley,Pinnacles, barge, Rama,Manifold etc...even Divided has a few!

cheers,
graham

warti
17-02-2009, 04:13 PM
Is there much fern country east of curtis island? Been looking at my gps and been dreaming of finding some isolated patches. Going spearing tomorrow but i am keen for a fish on friday or saturday. There is a G marked on my seamap east of rundle and north of linda jane wreck (think thats it). That stands for gravel so is that a good starting point?? Am i answering my own questions??

jtpython
17-02-2009, 06:10 PM
Your are right Warti there is some good ground off from Hummocy and on the way to Linda jane so very resonable area's too
JT

grahams
17-02-2009, 06:57 PM
Warti,
Linda Jane is along way north east of Hummocky, the wreck near the G (for gravel) might be the Melissa. Whatever, there is some fern in the area. Also a lot to the north around 23. 20 S. A lot around the old Fitzroy river bed which snakes its way from east of Hummocky to west of Northwest and then out between Douglas Shoals and Tryon. A lot of the fern seems to be around the 30m contour. Keep your eye on your sounder looking for anything stuck to the bottom

ifishcq1
17-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi JT and GS

back to the nannies one guy sent me a pic this week of a big fella he got at Ironpot

Cheers

SL

grahams
17-02-2009, 11:04 PM
SCotty,
I mentioned Divided as a possibility, but Iron Pot!!!! Worth checking out the dredge pile out the front of the harbour as well.

We get most of our red jew this time of year close to the coast. Very rarely will I do a charter up north in close as too easy to get dogged, and well within range of small boats. Guys on Saturday were all from Emerald and too much NW breeze for offshore. At least a lot of the same country is now in the green zone out the front of Port Clinton.
Sure "Iron Pot" wasn't code for "not telling"?

ifishcq1
18-02-2009, 07:17 PM
yeah Graham

I saw him there when I was doing my second sea trial

He was using big green prawns

Cheers

SL

jtpython
18-02-2009, 08:11 PM
How did your trip go Scotty did she handle okay
JT

warti
18-02-2009, 08:24 PM
Started to go to northwest this morning and the swell was absolutely shit. About half way out i decided to go to masthead instead and came across what i asume is weed on the sounder in 29 meters. There were also smaller patches in the general vicinity.Fished similar readings at the wides for big trout, also similar to twelve mile. So the area has been marked for future investigations. I will try to remember to take a photo next time. Let the learning begin.

ifishcq1
18-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I will give you a ring JT

cheers

SL