PDA

View Full Version : mounting a tow hook on transom

Chamelion
12-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Hello,

I've got tow hooks on my transom that I've been using for some tubing. The starboard one has come loose and was spinning on its axis. I've now removed it.

What is the best way to go about tightening it and ensuring it's sealed from water?

Cheers,

Matt.

The-easyrider
12-02-2009, 09:35 PM
a bead of sika or the like under the backing washers and some on the thread after tightning the nut or use stainless nilock nuts

gofishin
13-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Hi Matt,
The single bolt units I know normally have a locking/locating pin on the base that you need to drill a small locating hole for - this locks them in place & prevents spinning. Yours must be different. Can't remember if your boat is glass or tin, if glass are you sure your transom timber is OK & not rotten/allowing compression? If so will allow the nuts to easily come loose.

As ER said, Sika is good, and use a nylock nut.
cheers

cormorant
13-02-2009, 08:02 AM
Use a larger washer to help distribute the load as well when you replace it or a backing plate if you use big double tubes and fat blokes.

Sika the guys have mentioned is Sikaflex - get the marine version and place sone in the hole and swill it around to help prevent water penetration into the transom. Always use nylocs or a second locknut on through hull fittings and sika under a large washer will give a large waterproof bonding area if you clean the area first of waxes and polish.