PDA

View Full Version : Does the Barometer make a difference?

rc@hinze
12-02-2009, 09:25 PM
Hi all. I was just wondering what the opinion of others is when it comes to the impact of the Barometer values when it comes to getting onto a few fish?

We have been in a period of quite low barometer readings of late and there seems to be a general feeling that the fishing has also been hard. I know we can and do get fish when the Barometer is down, but in general I have been told that a higher barometer can lead to great bite session. There are other factors of course such as wind, water levels, stable weather, inflows current etc. but I been told that the barometer is big a factor. I have been out plenty of times though, with a good barometer, only to get a couple or no fish.

By the way, I have been told that the magic figure for bringing the fish on is 1020 hPa or above.

Here is some info from the BOM website on historical data on the last few months taken at 9am at Gladestone-

Highest in Feb 1011
Highest in Jan 1016
Highest in Dec 1016
Highest in Nov 1021 ( 1 day only)
Highest in Oct 1024 (22 days of 1020 or more)
Highest in Sept 1023 ( 17 days 1020 or more)

Looking back in the freshwater reports section, lots of great reports in Sept(Barraboss,Magella,Awoonga,Barraboy) and a mix of good and bad in October.

So what do you think? I know its possible to catch fish at anytime but does a high Barometer give you a better chance of a good session and hot bite period? Or is it just a fishing "old wives tale"? I know I have trouble getting them at anytime!

thanks in advance - Richard

vet
12-02-2009, 09:38 PM
I have also noticed a rise of 2-3hpa just on sunset, and more often than not this corresponds to a short bite period, but then again the bite trigger may be sunset rather than barometric pressure rise or more likely a combination of both.
cheers scott.

2manylures
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
OLD WIVES TALE IMO but many will disagree.

tunaticer
12-02-2009, 10:05 PM
A lot of superstition adds to the data stream I feel. Many times its proven to be true and many times false, also many times the lows have been a complete loss and many times worthwhile. I think sudden large changes can shut down a bite period but seldom start one up.

I used to follow the isobars a bit for dam fishing, yet to date my best morning on NPD (14 large bass) was at a static low going against traditions we are supposed to follow. Can we backtrack for data 3 years ago to check solunar tables??

Leigh77
13-02-2009, 06:44 AM
I personally think it does, but not in the way most people think it does. I have had cracker sessions (Bass) when the Barometer is high...and also while the barometer is sitting at 1000hpa.

There are other factors that coincide with the Barometer, but I think the keyword when dealing with the barometer is "steady". A sharp rise or fall will affect the fish...If the Barometer is all over the place, the fish will be affected. But if its steady, or even falling/rising steadily, the bite can go on unchanged.

But I dont have the luxury of over-thinking my times to go fishing...so I just go, and deal with whatever conditions are there on the day...Whereas I know a few guys that wont even bother if the Barometer is below 1015. They are simply missing out.

Just my 2c.

Leigh

NAGG
13-02-2009, 06:52 AM
What I have noticed is that stable weather be it high or low pressure gives the most consistent results ............ A sudden drop & fishing deteriorates big time ......... but after several days , fishing improves.

I really like fishing just prior to the fall in the barometer .......... This is really noticeable when fishing for trout up in the Snowies.. I dont know if the altitude magnifies the effect :-/

I feel there must be some substance in the theory

Chris

rc@hinze
13-02-2009, 06:59 AM
Leigh, I have heard similar stories when the Barometer is really low. There was a weekend when the barometer was down around 1000 that I heard of 20 and 40 bass being caught in a session.

flyfisho
13-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Sudden changes either way seem to trigger a response. The other week at mondy a massive drop in pressure on the weather sense function on my sounder convincingly coincided with a short hot bite. I couldn't tell you if the fish came on just before or just after but it was a massive change and a short bite window ( 30-40 mins) same thing happened the next day. Lake Macdonald always used to seem as though it fished better in low pressure.

Magella
15-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Just a thought a lot of anglers seem to base there barra fishing around high pressures [120 fish a plenty] this maybe true for bass, cod, yella's which are inland and southern species but what about barra. Barra are a northern species that are more active during the wet or monsoon season which is mainly low pressure systems so maybe we should be looking at lows to get the barra bitting?