PDA

View Full Version : Blades for Bass

RayB
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
I am after some guidance on what type / size blades for bass fishing. I'm heading off to Boondoomba later this month and looking to take a collection of blades with me as them seem to be latest must have lure.

I have searched this forum and others and decided I will probably buy a collection of Evergreen LittleMax blades as well as TT Switchblades but the biggest question is what size? They seem to range from 1/8 to 1/2oz and everything in between. I was hoping that I could get some comments relating suggested sizes for impoundment bass.

Thanks
Raymond

Jeremy87
12-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I've caught a single bass on an 1/8th ounce tt. We were verticle jigging for them and a 51cm job decided to inhale it and nearly rub through the 14lb leader so i swapped over onto another lure. I'd be going for the 1/4-1/2 ounce models have larger hooks. Also it would help with casting distance.

When are you going to boondoomba? Dad and I will there on the 22nd and 23rd before heading to cania one the 24th and 25th. Unpainted 4.3 metre formosa with a 40hp yamaha 4-stroke and a minn on the front. Say Gday if you see us.

MeePee_99
12-02-2009, 06:34 PM
Yeah, i like the tt and evergreen little maxs. I have 1/8 through to a 1/2 oz but i find myself using the 1/4 oz the most. They are great lures for catching bass.

The two best techniques i have found is either hopping it back to the boat or casting out, letting it hit the bottom then give it one hop before slowly rolling the lure back giving the lure a few pauses before recommencing the slow roll.

warrior
12-02-2009, 07:49 PM
went to isis dam a couple of weeks ago and had a ball with the blades some great fish caught too used the 1/8 and 1/4 oz in natural colors mostly greens slow rolled alond the bottom and where we found fish suspended counted down then slow rolled

kevin jackson
13-02-2009, 08:17 AM
the best result at boondooma for me have been with 3/8 evergreens, vertical jigged, in the ayu and blue/green with black stripped colours. also some have come from a long cast and count down with a slow roll.

the most important thing is finding the school, then they normally taken most thing, slider, soft jackalls, blades, spinnerbaits, icejigs just about anything.

RayB
13-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Thank you for your replies. I really do love this forum. I now have a clearer idea of what sizes / colours etc although it seems that a variety is required to suit different conditions, styles of fishing. Please keep the replies coming.

I've caught a single bass on an 1/8th ounce tt. We were verticle jigging for them and a 51cm job decided to inhale it and nearly rub through the 14lb leader so i swapped over onto another lure. I'd be going for the 1/4-1/2 ounce models have larger hooks. Also it would help with casting distance.

When are you going to boondoomba? Dad and I will there on the 22nd and 23rd before heading to cania one the 24th and 25th. Unpainted 4.3 metre formosa with a 40hp yamaha 4-stroke and a minn on the front. Say Gday if you see us.

Jeremy,

I will be fishing the following weekend but hopefully we will have a chance to meet another time.

cheers
Raymond

Mike Delisser
13-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Raymond said "I will be fishing the following weekend but hopefully we will have a chance to meet another time."

If you're not aware Raymond round 2 of the Bassin Qld tournament is on at Boondooma on Sat 28th Feb and Sun 1st March.
Cheers
Mike

RayB
13-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks Mike, I will actually be fishing the tournament and it will also be my first trip to Boondooma. Should be interesting.

I fished the last round at Somerset and I gather from your previous posts that you did to. Hopefully we will meet up at Boondoomba.

cheers
Raymond

Bennywise
13-02-2009, 08:25 PM
went to isis dam a couple of weeks ago and had a ball with the blades some great fish caught too used the 1/8 and 1/4 oz in natural colors mostly greens slow rolled alond the bottom and where we found fish suspended counted down then slow rolled

Some good looking Bass there mate. Been a while since I've caught any of that quality..

poddy mullet
14-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Mate, don't go past the Jaz Rayza's in 40 AND 65 MM. Great colours and work a treat!

RayB
14-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Mate, don't go past the Jaz Rayza's in 40 AND 65 MM. Great colours and work a treat!

Thanks, I hadn't heard of them. I just tried googling Jaz Rayza but couldn't determine any local dealers or an indication of price. Please let me know if you have any additional info.

cheers
Raymond