PDA

View Full Version : NV7 baitcaster

greglane
12-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi guys

looking at building up my NV7 blank as a barra baitcaster

if anyone has experience with these, any help would be appreciated on a potential recipe for guide sizings and spacings. i like the look of the fuji n style SiC guides, yay or nay?. im usually ok working with the reel and moving guides to the right position but i have never built an overhead and acutally dont have the reel yet! makes it a bit hard. it will be a calcutta 200 but i have an old abu i can sub in the meantime

also, i would like to use one of fujis acs exposed blank tigger seats. my question is how do you mount these without getting glue all over the section of exposed blank? and how does it fit so that there is no gap around where the seat and exposed blank section meet? in that case, if im building up with a 6 inch rear grip, what size seat should i look at getting?

cheers guys all help appreciated
greg

Owen
12-02-2009, 08:00 PM
Greg,
I have an NV-7 I built as a barra rod with a calcutta 300 mounted on it.
I have sic guides on it and it's really been a grea rod.
It's accounted for several barra in the 80-90cm range with no problems at all.
The reel seat is a neat fit on the blank, so you just wipe the glue from the exposed section.
I just rang Ross@therodworks.com.au and got him to size match all the parts I wanted, so when the bits arrived everything down to the winding checks fitted first time.
Nothing more frustrating than finding out the bits you ordered are a fly shit too big/small, so it's so much easier talking to someone who has the stock and is prepared to make sure you get what you need.

greglane
12-02-2009, 08:14 PM
thanks owen
i buy through ross as well so ill go that way. out of interest could you possibly tell me the guide style and sizes you used?
cheers

Owen
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Was a while back now, but I think they were LNSG's
I spiral wrapped it and went from a 16 on the stripper down to a 10 tip so I could pass the knots on heavy leaders (Awoonga is 20 mins away).
Can't help with guide spacing coz mine is 2" shorter than most (story of my life).
Slight accident with a ceiling fan whilst building :-(

Mark Fisher
15-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Greg,

I have a recipe for a NV7 I did as a spiral wrap if you want it? The rear handle length will be slightly different though. I used Fuji MN (sic guides) all the way through and a size 8 tip. Also, measure the blank diameter with a set of calipers in the position where you want the ECS seat. This will give you exact measurements which you can send on to Ross. The inner diameter of the seat will then be a perfect fit.

Regards
Mark