PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Softies

Scott nthQld
12-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Being rather new to the whole soft plastics angling scene (still can't resist smelly bait), I was interested to read that many of you boil your plastics, not wanting to hijack the report, I thought I'd ask the question here.

Why?

More action?
Better durability?
Gets rid of any bends, crimps etc caused by packaging?

robersl
12-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Being rather new to the whole soft plastics angling scene (still can't resist smelly bait), I was interested to read that many of you boil your plastics, not wanting to hijack the report, I thought I'd ask the question here.

Why?

More action?
Better durability?
Gets rid of any bends, crimps etc caused by packaging?

And for how long
or is like when you get a scorpion cod you add a brick to the water boil for 2 hours throw the cod out and eat the brick lol

Peter4
12-02-2009, 03:21 PM
And for how long
or is like when you get a scorpion cod you add a brick to the water boil for 2 hours throw the cod out and eat the brick lol

Just asked someone this question yesterday about squidgies for barra.

Answer is boil for 4.5 minutes then layout flat or hang to cool.

Main reason is to loosen up the action.......

Plasticin
12-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Haha Pete,

Main reason is to.... give them some action. 5 mins is what I've heard, but there are other plastics out there that don't need this treatment to work at slow speeds. Whatever floats your boat

Smash 'em on the weekend Pete

tailorboi99
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Thanks for that Peter, I might try this on barra's soon. I am guessing you cannot use this method with Gulps??? Also good topic mate.

Tom

Peter4
12-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I reckon if you boiled gulps you'd end up with a foul soup!!

slyman
12-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Thanks for that Peter, I might try this on barra's soon. I am guessing you cannot use this method with Gulps??? Also good topic mate.

Tom

I guess not Tom, Gulps are protein based and any decent heat applied to proteins "denatures" them and this is an irreversible process, its what happens when you fry an egg, the raw clear albumin turns white and stays that way. You'd probably end up with some very warped and useless Gulps, or as Peter says, some very foul soup. But if you're going to try it, don't use your mothers good saucepans ok? ;D

Kleyny
12-02-2009, 04:53 PM
Never heard of it.

If you want more action why dont you just put small cuts near the tail?

neil

jayvee
12-02-2009, 05:25 PM
ive never done it for 4.5mins i only dunk the tail on my slick rigs in boiling water to just past the tail wrist and hold it there for i reckon 1 minute max and pull it out dunk it in cold water till cool. you can notice a massive diff from just a minute. they seem to get a bit sticky also! it softens the plastic so you get more action from the tail especially when just contant retrieving you can do it at slower speeds and still have alot of tail beats thus keeping it in the fish's eye sight/face for longer
cheers JAYVEE

Steve B
12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Scott,

I boil some, sometimes. I find they often come out of the pack a bit skewif after packaging. Boiling them helps make them softer, straighter (if you sit them, or hang them right)..we have toyed with stretching the tails while they are still hot...this gives a longer floppier tail...particuarly good if slow rolling them to get a good action. I have found they maintain softness relatively well for a couple of sessions (some longer than others)....just make sure you take the jig head out first...

Heres a photo from our cabin at awoonga during the ABT tour!!!...pity if we wanted a coffee;D Note, we boiled a few other species of lures too...just to experiment.

Steve

BARRAkid
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
I have started to boil the squidgy boof frogs and it makes them feel alot nicer and i am seeing how they go in the morning.
I boil them for about 3 - 4 minutes then put them in a container with water (room temp) and let them cool down then i pull them out sit them on a tea towl and let dry then dunk in water again and let dry then put them in a plastic container and the sticky goes away that way and they are nice and strate aswell in the container.

cheers BK

The BeaR
12-02-2009, 11:01 PM
I boil mine 5, 10mins, doesnt seem to make a difference, usually boil about a dozen at a time, don't want to over crowd the pot.lol. Pull 'em straight out of the boiling water and chuck 'em into a bucket of cold water. At last straight tails. I also boil my offshore soft-plastics, 7" pintail jerkbaits etc. It really loosens the action up on these as well. Boil the whole plastic, makes it all soft, never know it might make the fish hang on longer.

Eric&Deb...