PDA

View Full Version : Deep diving trout lure

sam russell
10-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Hi guys,
Looking for some advice on purchasing a deep diving lure for trout.
I will be using it in deep river pools to try and extract fish when there right down deep(mainly rainbows).

Any suggestions

Cheers,
Sam

akman1
11-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Cant really help much 'cept last time in NZ we chartered a boat at Queenstown and the guide used only Tassie devils(had a couple of hundred)diff size,colour etc and were trolling 30-50mts deep,I understand you wouldnt be doing that but at the price it might be worth trying a couple..

Jungle Jim
11-02-2009, 04:45 PM
Cant really help much 'cept last time in NZ we chartered a boat at Queenstown and the guide used only Tassie devils(had a couple of hundred)diff size,colour etc and were trolling 30-50mts deep,I understand you wouldnt be doing that but at the price it might be worth trying a couple..

Nothing wrong with that advice thats for sure...

A Tassie devil is relatively cheap and a proven performer.

Makes me laugh,

Every time i go to NZ i see pics of young kids in the paper or first timers holding up trout the size of salmon that they have caught casting lures in deep pools...headline “ 8 yo catches 12lb’er on first cast.”

Makes me wonder why i bother with the fly gear...:-[

JIM

Charlie
11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Rather than a deep diver try the Rapalla CD minnows, you count down one second for each foot it sinks.

greenwormguru
12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
yeah i agree with charlie,hav caught trout on cd rapalas in brown and rainbow patterns,cant go past garry glitter squidgiez or gulp "3"worm!

Bearclaw
14-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Go with Charlie and GWG suggestion, CD rapalas are perfect, just one further suggestion if you are targeting rainbows use the brown trout pattern and rainbow pattern if you are targeting browns. The tassie devil is good, but for your intended use you will loose more to the snags.

jimbamb
16-02-2009, 05:19 PM
jd lures from tassie go deep do a google and jamie will look after you
jim

BarraBandit
22-02-2009, 08:16 PM
I use Jackall Chubby's... not the cheapest lures around, but they do catch fish. I am also using the blades from TT and "Big Eye" blades from Berkley.

Give em' a shot. :)

Bandit.