PDA

View Full Version : 30 HP Yamaha 4-stroke?

BrettoM
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I am thinking of trading my relatively new 2-stroke 30 HP Yamaha for 4-stroke version to get the advantage of power trim & electric start. I want to remain tiller control & the 30 HP 2-stroke with elec start & trim is not standard with tiller control & hence considerably cheaper to go to 4-stroke option. My boat is a 395 Explorer Trophy.

My local Yamaha dealer believes if he puts a solace prop on the 4-stroke I should get the same performance as I did from my 2-stroke (which is important). Given my likely outlay I would be keen to hear from anyone who has had experience with the 4-Stroke 30HP Yamaha. Changing brands is not an option as my local dealer will give me what I paid for my 30HP 2 - stroke. Appreciate any advice.

bennyboy
10-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Check the weight of the motor, I would be very surprised if it will suit your boat.
The Yammy 4 stroke's are great but the 30hp is a restricted 40hp block 94kg's

mylestom
10-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I am thinking of trading my relatively new 2-stroke 30 HP Yamaha for 4-stroke version to get the advantage of power trim & electric start. I want to remain tiller control & the 30 HP 2-stroke with elec start & trim is not standard with tiller control & hence considerably cheaper to go to 4-stroke option. My boat is a 395 Explorer Trophy.

My local Yamaha dealer believes if he puts a solace prop on the 4-stroke I should get the same performance as I did from my 2-stroke (which is important). Given my likely outlay I would be keen to hear from anyone who has had experience with the 4-Stroke 30HP Yamaha. Changing brands is not an option as my local dealer will give me what I paid for my 30HP 2 - stroke. Appreciate any advice.

Brett,

That was my other choice of motor for my 395, the only problem was the weight 90.4Kg, possibly get dealer to upgrade transom weight details with Quintrex, believe it can be done.

Just for the insurance purposes as the transom is rated to 30hp but only up to 90kg.

Should go well, with a lot better fuel economy.

Regards

Trev

Crocodile
10-02-2009, 01:16 PM
The four stroke is very heavy at 94kg.
Consider the electric start three cylinder two stroke at 59kg with a lever to tilt it.
Look at Garelick Motor Tilter on the net, gives you the idea.
A much cheaper and ligher solution.

Scott Ashe
10-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Hi Mate,

I have a 2007 25 4 Stroke Yamaha on my Allycraft 410 Rhino, and love it. You will love the added benefit of electric start and power trim and tilt. It is essential for me as I have cerebral palsy and it's just not possible to manually tilt an outboard of that size manually.

Cheers
Scott

Skusto
10-02-2009, 05:50 PM
we had the 30hp yammy 3 cylinder 2 stroke electric start oil injected PTT, was like from memory 400 on top of buying the remote 30hp 3 cylinder. forget what we paid but kept 2 stroke as we both sat down the back and didnt want the extra weight of a 4stroke was a great little engine but!

BrettoM
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was concerned about the weight an it certainly got me in two minds as to what to do - if anything. Cheers Brett.