PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Speedy Sleeves

rooboy98
09-02-2009, 09:59 PM
I am considering fitting a pair of Speedy Sleeves to the axle on my boat trailer. Anyone done this before? Any traps/tips for when fitting them or do these things go pretty easy?

Cheers,
Roo.

finga
10-02-2009, 06:09 AM
Why are you fitting them??
They're brilliant in the right circumstance where a 'proper' repair is impossible but I would not use them where heat build up might be likely.
They're extremely thin and IMO they could let go under any heat.
If your wanting to fit them for a better seal for the bear hubs then go for it. They'd be brilliant to get a better seal.
They're reasonably easy to fit if you have any aptitude and a little bit of skill with the tools

trueblue
10-02-2009, 06:15 AM
be sure to clean the old seal area down perfectly to bare metal

then fit the sleeve with a loctite product

if damage to original surface is light, use 680 loctite

if previous damage is severe, use loctite quick metal

if you use nothing under the sleeve, it will rust underneath and jack up the sleeve causing untold grief

cheers

Mick

trymyluck
10-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I wouldn't use them, rust and corrosion gets under them and they are stuffed. Get them machined and fit 316 stainless sleeves. Works heaps better. But then i'm a machinist and wouldn't have to pay for the machining.;D;D Probably even get paid to do it, even better.:-X;D;D

rooboy98
10-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks all for the advice.

Finga-
I am considering fitting them under where the hub seal runs (not where the actual wheeel bearings runs) as that sealing area is a little corroded......its nothing too bad, but I figure if I cleaned it up a bit and fitted the sleeves that it should be good to go for ages yet.....The rest of the axle is perfect.

Cheers,
Roo.

finga
11-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Goodo, just follow trueblue's suggestions and job's done

akman1
11-02-2009, 04:57 PM
If you use proper marine seals you should never need speedi sleeves as the seal doesnt spin on the axle and it probably wouldnt be much dearer to buy a new axle if you had to buy 2 speedi sleeves anyway,I'd possibly look into it a bit further..