PDA

View Full Version : Malcolm Douglas on Sat 6.30pm on 7. A fishing legend.

SeekingBarradise
09-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Just in case you were busy and didn't know the outdoor fishing, exploring and hunting legend Malcolm Douglas is on channel 7 at 6.30pm on Saturday.

It's part 2 as part 1 was on last weekend.

For those of you that don't know of Malcolm Douglas here are a few details. I'm sure a few people on this site could add a bit more about this Quiet Achiever.

The Americans have Chuck Norris - And long before the Cougar we had Malcolm on the scene.

Chuck takes on the entire Viet Cong and wins, Malcolm takes on every Croc,Shark and Barra above the Tropic of Capricorn and wins.

Diet: He drinks Molasses Black Billy Tea for breakfast and washes it down with some damper. Dinner and Lunch are the same all year round with 3kg Mudcrabs and a couple of Barra fillets for him and his trusty dog (Number 57).

Uniform: His uniform usually consists of shorts and boots (No Socks) 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

If he needs to talk to the camera he throws a shirt on that has been coated in a couple of inches of bulldust as it's been hung out to dry on the bullbar and he usually forgets to bring in the washing.

Guarentees: The only guarentee he gives is that he will get bogged up to the door handles on every show, yet he finds a different way to get out of the mess everytime. He sure would be great to have on a Aussie Outback trip in the wet.:)

Suncream: He uses deisel for suncream.

Showers: Showers are for wimps. If he needs a shower he usually goes for a walk through the mangroves wearing a pair of stubbies only. The mud coating gives him stealthiness.

Rig: His rig is a trusty Landcruiser that has been to mars and back. They are usually just run in with 1000 000km's on the clock.

Hunting: He wrestles Crocks with his bare hands and catches sharks with 200lb handlines with Anchors for hooks on a 3ft by 3ft bamboo raft that barely floats. All this is done in country that is home to 20ft+ Sharks & Crocs. Throw in for good mix a couple of 20m tides that travel faster than F'111's and you have to acknowledge the man has skill and he makes the fishing we enjoy today look pretty tame - that's for sure.

Lures: He uses hooks the size of Anchors with a bit of Alfoil from a powdered milk tin tied to it. If he gets fancy he throws a couple of feathers on it or rips the sleeves off his shirt and attaches them to the hook. He doesn't need Jackals to catch barra:)

Moderators if this thread could be left in the freshwater section that would be really great. I'm sure the freshwater members would really appreciate his work.

Feel free to add a few friendly light hearted comments on Malcolm. He motivated generations of Aussies to get outdoors and explore. I often wonder what he would think of the current barra scene e.g. mags, comps, impoundments and the internet etc.:)

Paying respect to a legend.
Lyndon:)

JEKS
09-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Hi Lyndon,
That is a good one.Maybe we should all eat like him and we would all be healthy.
that uniform would be good too. Think of the money we could save.Buy more lures
cheers jeks.

Sea-Dog
09-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Jeez, he must be getting a bit long in the tooth by now.

I remember seeing "Across the Top" when I was a little tacker....

It was made in 1967 - I was made 4 years earlier.

nipsta
09-02-2009, 09:38 PM
hi lyndon is it the one where he go looking for the rough scale python and also make lures from plastic bags if so i have it on tape from a few years back some of the best footage you will ever see and he is a legned for sure

Tropicaltrout
09-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Yes too right Lyndon he is the true blue aussie bushman, with his dog Jowdy back in the early kimberly trip and a few of our Aborignal fella's they certaily went well.

I remember the crossing of the Bass straight he did in his 5 metre boat and the Pedder trip to Tassie targeting the monster Brown trout of day past, and all the top end stuff. This man is a true legend as you have said.

Cheers Nath

ronnien
09-02-2009, 09:58 PM
yeah, i watched his shows when i was young & on saturday night my 3 kids (2,5 &11 yr old)sat down for the whole hr ( NOT EASY) & watched also. they cant wait for next week.

ron.

FNQCairns
09-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Gotta love him!! No crap and all, not like Mr Cropp, although the camp brevlle breadmaker threw me a curly:)

cheers fnq

NAGG
10-02-2009, 06:42 AM
what a bugger ..... I missed part 1

Yeh Lyndon ..... the old MD is a true Aussie Legend ........ Watching his shows got me interested in barra fishing ....... & via his shows the Kimberley's have become my dream adventure destination:P

Camp cooking ....... All you need are Onions , 1 packet of noodles , 1 can of sliced Mangoes , powdered coconut milk & curry powder ......... & you can turn a fly blown , dried out Queenfish into a meal ....... Classic:P

Doesn't he call every dog BOUNDI ! ... or something like that:-/

Tin foil lures & his favorite Daiwa combo .......... classic

Chris

robersl
10-02-2009, 06:55 AM
I seen it was good he launched his tinney above the barrage on the mary river and drove along the bank and croc after croc left the bank and headed straight at the boat and there were some monters crocs and the boat side were only about a foot high lol , but it is good to see him coming into the 20th century useing the breadmaker hooked to a converter attached to the car battery cooking bread but remember to start the car every 20 minutes or so for 5 minutes so you do not flatten your battery

shane

flatzie
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Yep remember his shows and videos years ago when we were on a diet of Rod Harrisons Drysdale river stuff, and who can forget the early Malcom Florence videos! around Palm Is and the Ribbons.
Sure wound us up to get out there and fish, these guys are all legends to this generation of fishos. My boys are grown now but they still talk about those old videos.
Good stuff reminding us Lyndon!
Flatzie

Pete62
10-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Yep, the man is a legend, grew up watching his adventures. It would be awesome to be able to sit and listen to his tales, geez the man has done more in his lifetime than most could possibly hope to do.

Looking forward to Sat night, should b more of this stuff instead of all the cop shows, Australia's fattest fatties and dancing with the drongos.

Pete.

BR65
10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Good post Lyndon, the bloke is a lege, no doubt, and I never mis one of his shows, but like FNQ said, hows the breadmaker lol.
The other bloke who so much inspired me as a young tacker was Mal Florence, some of those jigging sessions useing feather jigs with a bait sweetner for trout, cod, red bass, absolutely awesome!

Steve B
10-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Lyndon

thanks for the heads up...Love the man and his work.

What ever happened to Alby Mangells....I loved that show too.....that man was a freak at finding scantly clad women in the most remote locations....just happen to be hitchhiking in the area, even in the antartic!!

Ahhhh Chuck Norris......."guns dont kill people....Chuck Norris kills people"
"there is no history of evololution.....just a series of animals Chuck Norris allows to live"

Chuck Norris doesnt do push ups....he pushes the earth down"

theres thousands more...google chuck norris and see!!!

Steve

themissus
10-02-2009, 12:19 PM
He is a true aussie bushie!! The mango and coconut cream fish is still one of my fav's. The bloody Jacks he can catch on a bit of tin foil is impressive.
Cheers Kim.

Jungle Jim
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas once got bitten by a king brown.....
And the snake died

JIM

tiges
10-02-2009, 01:42 PM
^^Classic Jim.

Lyndon, in the diet part you can include: Doesn't worry if a bit of sand or ash gets in his tucker, in fact he considers it "seasoning".

aussiebasser
10-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Lyndon

thanks for the heads up...Love the man and his work.

What ever happened to Alby Mangells....I loved that show too.....that man was a freak at finding scantly clad women in the most remote locations....just happen to be hitchhiking in the area, even in the antartic!!

Ahhhh Chuck Norris......."guns dont kill people....Chuck Norris kills people"
"there is no history of evololution.....just a series of animals Chuck Norris allows to live"

Chuck Norris doesnt do push ups....he pushes the earth down"

theres thousands more...google chuck norris and see!!!

Steve

Don't just Google Chuck Norris, type in "Find Chuck Norris" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky!"

Jungle Jim
10-02-2009, 02:14 PM
I heard If a nuclear bomb was to go off.....
.................................................. .....
.................................................. .........
.................................................. ................
.................................................. ............................
Only Malcolm Douglas and cockroaches could survive.......
.................................................. ..........
.................................................. .................
In which case he would quickly dispatch the cockroaches and add them to the mango, bark and gravel curry.

aussiebasser
10-02-2009, 02:59 PM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas was taken by pirates.

But this was just a myth.

Started by Malcolm Douglas.

To give pirates a false sense of security.

Pirates aren't very smart!

Jungle Jim
10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas once caught malaria................
.................................................. ...
.................................................. ......
.................................................. ............
Seriously is there anything he can’t catch?

juju
10-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I uesd to wait for the start of "the world around su" each week to watch the quintrex going over that Bar......think of all the money that is made out of 4x4 equipment that you "need" to go bush....he has only a few basic things that do the job......he is a real dundee...

Lovey80
10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Last year Malcom Douglas made a secret mission to Iraq on behalf of the Australian government.

On route to his clandestine destination he encountered a very large explosive device that had SAS men very worried.

He got out of his landy walked over to the menacing bomb and stared at it for 5 seconds>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

and the trigger man on the other end exploded!!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Lovey80
10-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Jeez, he must be getting a bit long in the tooth by now.

I remember seeing "Across the Top" when I was a little tacker....

It was made in 1967 - I was made 4 years earlier.

Actually Seadog, Malcom died about ten years ago!!!!!!

but the grim reaper is too scared to actually tell him!

Cheers

Chris

Jungle Jim
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas once got a flat tire.........
so he wrapped some paper bark around it.....................
and cooked it for dinner.

JIM

Lovey80
10-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Actually most people think that Giraffes were native of africa. Malcom Douglas was riding a horse across the top end when it bucked him off!!

A giraffe was created when Malcom got up and uppercutt the horse in the head and it landed in Swaze land!

Jungle Jim
10-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I heard Malcolm Douglas marinates his steak in radiator fluid...

JIM

Lovey80
10-02-2009, 04:44 PM
It is apparently an aboriginal myth that Malcom Douglasses tears are a sure cure for cancer

Pitty malcom never cries.

Apollo
10-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Jim, you are on fire.

I watched the first and will not miss any others. He certainly thumps out a cracker scone or cake from the camp oven.

Jungle Jim
10-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas once ate a whole mud crab......
.................................................. .......
.................................................. ........
alive.........................without chewing

aussiebasser
10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas once ate a whole mud crab......
.................................................. ........
alive.........................without chewing

To cook that mud crab, Malcolm bends down and kisses it between the eyes. When it grabs his ears he dips his head in his boiling billy until it lets go.

Jungle Jim
11-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I heard that Malcolm Douglas is The Stig.........

themissus
11-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Oh dear......the "dad jokes" are coming thick and fast;D :D ::) ;) :-X :P :-*

Roo
11-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Hilarious...
I'm pretty sure Malcolm Douglas will live for ever....not joking, the man has got to be Immortal.
mmm mango coconut fish.....whats for lunch?
Cheers Roo.

Jungle Jim
11-02-2009, 10:26 AM
I also heard that Malcolm douglas is immortal.......
he most likely is................
legends never die

robersl
14-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Don't forget 6.30 tonight malcolm is back

shane

Steve B
14-02-2009, 08:41 PM
I dunno, I think Malcolm has gone to the pack.....I saw a diawa shirt (clean too)....an Ampol sticker on the toyota crusier that was also very camera friendly....the optimax outboard was in plenty of camera shots (I liked the one with the motor in the foreground and the whale in the back ground).....Trailcraft boat got plenty of camera time too.

Dunno, might be a spot on AFC for him yet!!!;););)

cheers Steve

At least they killed plenty of animals in the name of food...or tradition!

(please read this as me with my tounge in my cheek););D

darylive
14-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I dunno, I think Malcolm has gone to the pack.....I saw a diawa shirt (clean too)....an Ampol sticker on the toyota crusier that was also very camera friendly....the optimax outboard was in plenty of camera shots (I liked the one with the motor in the foreground and the whale in the back ground).....Trailcraft boat got plenty of camera time too.

cheers Steve

Careful Steve he could kill you with a stare :o. maybe even point the bone

Dick Pasfield
14-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Nice to see Frank at Port Smith on the box and still driving rusty old tojos, not much changed in twenty years.

Remember sheltering in the ablution donga overnight last time I was there about 15 years ago as a cat 1 passed by.

Apollo
15-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Careful Steve he could kill you with a stare :o. maybe even point the bone

He throws a pretty mean spear too, so be really careful:mean: . Traditionally made ofcoarse with steel rod, grinder, aradite and copper wire.;D

maztez
15-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Heard that Alby Mangels was a FAKE

Pete62
15-02-2009, 07:51 AM

cheers Steve

Have to agree Steve, I was a bit dissapointed too, more of a cooking show than what I have been used to.

Pete.

ronnien
15-02-2009, 07:59 AM
at least he dont flogg products off every 5mins like other shows;)
& for the whole hour my kids sat there watching & laughing their guts out!

ron.

Pete62
15-02-2009, 08:42 AM
True Ron, I would never sledge the Legend.

Pete.

trymyluck
15-02-2009, 10:00 AM
The way he handles a campfire he is on the invite list to come camping with us anytime, not sure about the grubs thou, might have to wait a couple of days without food and then I think they might look ok.;)
Mark

juju
15-02-2009, 10:29 AM
Get a copy of the free DVD from trailcraft with him showing of his trailcraft..its a classic

groverwa
15-02-2009, 01:58 PM
He throws a pretty mean spear too, so be really carefulhttp://www.ausfish.com.au/yabbfiles/Smilies/mean.gif . Traditionally made ofcoarse with steel rod, grinder, aradite and copper wire

Did you notice the lack of eye protection when using the angle grinder??

Good show even if a lot of cooking gets done.

Mike

SeekingBarradise
20-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Just a reminder that Malcolm is back on this saturday = don't miss it.

Cheers Lyndon.

NAGG
01-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Old Mal has gone soft ......... whats this shite carrying Macadamia oil or frozen kangaroo tail & Crocodile fillets .......... In the good old days it would have been road kill or some croc that climbed into his swag

The show should have been called "Mals Gourmet bush cooking" - Mal needs to HARDEN UP PRINCESS ;D

Chris

nipsta
01-03-2009, 09:09 AM
dont think it would look good if old malcom killed a roo and then cut it up for the oven some how but hes a champion that is for sure and my 5and half year old daughter is amazed at some of the stuff he does she was talking about it all day "dont forget dad malcom douglas in on tonight " she was hanging to watch it so im tping every episode from the last weeks show on

NAGG
01-03-2009, 09:13 AM
dont think it would look good if old malcom killed a roo and then cut it up for the oven some how but hes a champion that is for sure and my 5and half year old daughter is amazed at some of the stuff he does she was talking about it all day "dont forget dad malcom douglas in on tonight " she was hanging to watch it so im tping every episode from the last weeks show on

Political correctness gone mad mate ::)
Yeh , still good to watch - but much prefer his specials that he did a few years back (Over the top is a favorite8-) )

Chris

Steve B
01-03-2009, 09:34 AM

But its OK for him to take part in killing a turtle and stabbing turtle eggs on the beach....that stick had egg gooo on it when he pulled it out of the sand when he found the eggs last week..I wasnt impressed with that...

other than that its a great show...hes definately a wild man!! that trailcraft spends more time up on the mud, rocks and sand than in the water!!

that coconut slice looked yum though!!

Steve

FNQCairns
01-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Those shows are like 10+years old arn't they, I know I have seen each a few times, he probably had a permit to play with the turtles. Still nature never knew he was there.

Have last nights show on disk, looking forward to it.

cheers fnq

jimbo 69
01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
he did comment that he didn't agree with killing the turtles but it was the locals tradition and he wouldn't interfere, he didn't kill it himself

nipsta
01-03-2009, 10:31 AM
But its OK for him to take part in killing a turtle and stabbing turtle eggs on the beach....that stick had egg gooo on it when he pulled it out of the sand when he found the eggs last week..I wasnt impressed with that...

other than that its a great show...hes definately a wild man!! that trailcraft spends more time up on the mud, rocks and sand than in the water!!

that coconut slice looked yum though!!

Steve

he come up with a great way to eracicate white ants eat the suckers
yeah your right about the turtle eggs bit much for my liking
i tell he can have that slaping for a croc bit as well would not see me in that water for dead
BUt the places he takes that boat insane for sure cant wait to do a trip to the kimberlys for sure on the list

BR65
01-03-2009, 10:37 PM
Good show last nite, more back to where he used to be!
How was old mate he visited that was kncking back the Emu Bitter sucking on a ciggy at the same time.
Im a bit scared to tjink what the inside of that gas freezer on the "mezzanine deck" mite have looked like!

Noiseworks
03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Legendary man, checkout some of the videos on Youtube.

Cheers
Noiseworks