PDA

View Full Version : 4-Sroke. Fuel - Which one !!

marsbars
09-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Hi, 4 stroke yamaha ( FUEL INJECTION) what fuel do you use.

V-POWER - OPTIMAX - PREMIUM UNLEADED - OR UNLEADED.

Why and any significant improvments...

Thanks

TheRealAndy
09-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I use the cheapest non ethanol fuel for mine. Why, cause its cheap and works just as well as the others.

backlash08
09-02-2009, 02:15 PM
I always bp ultimate - no ethanol and cleaner burn than lower octane, I would think that any 98 octane would be as good
cheers - Craig

Scott nthQld
09-02-2009, 02:32 PM
just normal unleaded in mine (60hp yam), if the fuel has been sitting in the tank for 2 weeks or more, I'll top up with premium. Just be wary of the servo's you go to, some BP's for example, have ethanol in their standard unleaded. If in doubt ask the attendant, if it does and its not labelled as such, that's illegal, and they could be causing $1000's of dollars damage to older cars and outboards.

I know caltex has labells on their ethanol (well my local one does) saying "this fuel is not to be used in marine craft".

Marlin_Mike
09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
What realAndy said

Mike

peterbo3
09-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Mars,
If you have a manual, it will state what octane (RON) fuel to use. Although I would avoid any ethanol blend like the plague.

black runner
09-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Only use standard unleaded, not premium. There was a good article in F&B with expert comment from BP Australia.

Contrary to popular belief the the octane rating of fuel increases as it gets older when the lighter aromatics evaporate off leaving a denser/richer air/fuel mix. So you actually get more of a fizzer of a burn.

The word high octane conjures up images of high energy fuel but is a measure of its anti-detonation capability and is used in hi compression/performance engines to reduce likelihood of detonation.

Higher octane fuels have a more controlled and longer burn compared to standard unleaded which has a shorter duration and more intense burn. The standard unleaded will tolerate storage for a longer period.

The Yamaha tech I spoke to the other day confirmed that they had seen early plug failure in 4strokes due to use of premium (and probably old fuel). Yamaha recommend only regular ulp be used and definitely no ethanol blend.

Cheers

Moonlighter
09-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Blackrunner nailed it.

A good friend of mine runs a Yammy dealership and those are almost his exact words. Premium goes off faster and is a waste of money, no extra performance.

Previous posts also correct re being careful about BP - many of them now only sell E10 blends so watch them very carefully - some pumps are not well or obviously marked.

ML

rc@hinze
09-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Bought a new Yamaha 4months ago and the dealer told me to just use normal unleaded fuel not premium.

PADDLES
10-02-2009, 07:45 AM
unless we want to drive out of town to fuel up we just use our local freedom servo that probably sells whatever dodgy fuel it can get it's hands on and neither myself nor any of my mates have ever had a problem with our boats or bikes. standard unleaded all the way.

hodges4
13-03-2009, 04:40 PM
From what I've read, QLD has mandated 5% ethanol from 2010 and NSW 10%.
From what I understand from then on there will be no more standard unleaded without ethanol of any brand available.

Is this correct or am I misunderstanding this mandate.

Those of us with older motors and cars which the makers say use regular unleaded will be in trouble from then on.

What do we use then.

John