PDA

View Full Version : 30lb Braid on Certate 3000

mjc85
09-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi all, just a quick question,

Going to spool up the 3000 certate with 30lb Daiwa Saltiga Surf braid for impoundment barra, just wondering if 180m/200yds will be sufficient? I have tried my hardest to search for the 30lb capacity on a 3000 but havn't suceeded.

Cheers
Mitch

NAGG
09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Hi all, just a quick question,

Going to spool up the 3000 certate with 30lb Daiwa Saltiga Surf braid for impoundment barra, just wondering if 180m/200yds will be sufficient? I have tried my hardest to search for the 30lb capacity on a 3000 but havn't suceeded.

Cheers
Mitch

I cant tell you how much ...... but it will be more than 180M

Check the diameter of the 30lb braid & compare it to the mono diameter ...... & cross reference it!

Chris

mjc85
09-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks for your reply, it is difficult because on the Daiwa site it tells you this

Certate 3000PE 3/200m, 5/120m

So I'm guessing PE3 is 30lb? So 180 metres won't be to underfilled?

NAGG
09-02-2009, 11:29 AM
If you have 180M of braid ...... Wind it on & then topshot it with Mono to fill the spool ........... Then reverse it :)

Chris

mjc85
09-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Hmm ok will give it a try, so you just use another reel to reverse it ?

TonyM
09-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Yep - or you could connect a spool to a drill (I use a bolt with a spool on it) which makes it a little less frustrating (just), you need to wind it on to another spool, and then again, before you can wind it back on so the mono topshot turns into backing (confused yet? I am) ;D

If you have a second spool for the reel it's a lot easier as you can transfer it straight over, although as you know Certates don't :( I have been through the same with mine twice now

Cheers
Tony

craigie
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
mjc 85,

I have a 3500 certate spooled to the top with 300 m of 30lb Jigman coloured braid.
Might give you some idea for your reel ?

Cheers
Craigie.

Peter4
09-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Doing it the hard way boys.......

I just take my empty spool to my tackle shop and they fill up my reel with whatever line I select (including mono backing) for no charge - other than the cost of the braid of course!!

Because they do this all the time they are very accurate at measuring how much line to put on.....

mjc85
09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Cheers, thanks for the replies. I got the Daiwa saltiga surf braid at $35 for 180m and it is $90 for 300metres, So a good buy, and wasn't certain I'd fit 300m on and less than likely I'd ever need any more than 180m for impoundment barra. Thanks again.

Cheers
Mitch

TonyM
09-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Doing it the hard way boys.......

I just take my empty spool to my tackle shop and they fill up my reel with whatever line I select (including mono backing) for no charge - other than the cost of the braid of course!!

Because they do this all the time they are very accurate at measuring how much line to put on.....

Great idea in theory Pete, unfortunately last time I did this they told me they couldn't fit all the line on (Saltist) and had only filled it to about 8mm below the lip and cut the line from the spool leaving a signifigant amount of line. First time I used it I had to re-seat the line as they hadn't wound it on tight enough, so I basically ended about with the spool about 2/3 full :-/ Not happy Jan!

Since then I've done it myself - No-one else to blame then.

Cheers
Tony

Peter4
09-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Great idea in theory Pete, unfortunately last time I did this they told me they couldn't fit all the line on (Saltist) and had only filled it to about 8mm below the lip and cut the line from the spool leaving a signifigant amount of line. First time I used it I had to re-seat the line as they hadn't wound it on tight enough, so I basically ended about with the spool about 2/3 full :-/ Not happy Jan!

Since then I've done it myself - No-one else to blame then.

Cheers
Tony

Yeah - good point Tony. I must admit to having one over-filled spool that led to a very nasty knot and a loss of 20m or so of brand new braid! Still, if you get the right guy (and I know who he is now!) they do a good job.....

Regs

Pete

diabolical
09-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I have stopped putting on backing and do ten wraps on the spool before the knot. No problems and alot less fuss/knots. I do use more braid but prefer the result.

TonyM
09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
I have stopped putting on backing and do ten wraps on the spool before the knot. No problems and alot less fuss/knots. I do use more braid but prefer the result.

I agree braid only can be better (depending on where/what you're using the outfit for)

A good solution that's worked well for me for years is putting a wrap or two of plumbers tape around the spool before tying the braid on

Cheers
Tony

phatty
09-02-2009, 05:18 PM
i put the same stuff on my 3000 sol just before abt rounds last year.

i got about 170-180 after about 25 metres of 15lb mono backing.

good stuff on a spin reel case of its really fine diameter... cant say the same for a bc tho..

NAGG
09-02-2009, 06:46 PM

I actually walk it out down the local park ........ & windback on under tension & loaded rod

Scott nthQld
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
I actually walk it out down the local park ........ & windback on under tension & loaded rod

lol, i can see it now, Nagg walking his line out while kids are getting coat hangered by fishing line as he tries to wind it back on....hahaha. Me, well I have a big enough yard to do it at home and coat hanger the dog instead!

I don't think there's an easy way around this to get the whole sppol of braid on without falling short or over spooling. Try it with the amount of backing you desire, then put the braid on, if too much line run it out and cut off the desired length of mono (from the spool so you don't have to retie the braid on) and keep going, trial and error until you are happy with it. You should only need around 10m of 30lb mono to back the braid, maybe slightly more or less depending on diameter

NAGG
10-02-2009, 07:05 AM
lol, i can see it now, Nagg walking his line out while kids are getting coat hangered by fishing line as he tries to wind it back on....hahaha. Me, well I have a big enough yard to do it at home and coat hanger the dog instead!

I don't think there's an easy way around this to get the whole sppol of braid on without falling short or over spooling. Try it with the amount of backing you desire, then put the braid on, if too much line run it out and cut off the desired length of mono (from the spool so you don't have to retie the braid on) and keep going, trial and error until you are happy with it. You should only need around 10m of 30lb mono to back the braid, maybe slightly more or less depending on diameter

That always worried me ........ Its a pretty quick job though & so far I haven't decapitated anyone ;)

Chris

Cheech
10-02-2009, 08:54 AM
I have an old reel that I use specifically for loading spools. Works for me because I like to use the reel drag to get the right load/tension.

I use a metre or so of leader to tie on to the spool and then full braid.

reggy
10-02-2009, 11:26 AM
put on your desired amount of braid.
add your mono to fill the spool.
take the mono off and keep on a separate line container.
take your braid off and keep separate.
put your measured amount of mono on the empty spool.
and top with yor braid.

saves spooling 3 times

aussiebasser
10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I've been trying some Daiwa PE Braid recently, and I wouldn't recommend it for Barra. I've been casting Spinnerbaits on 15 and 30 both off Zillions and the Branzino. I don't think it's a tough enough line. I tried 45 on the Black Sheep for barra and I put 60lb on the Hyper 4500 for PNG. The 60 is the lowest I'd go for real Barra fishing, it is about the same strenghth as 30lb Bionic.