PDA

View Full Version : Old Question E TEC V 4 STROKE

sporty1
09-02-2009, 07:26 AM
I suppose this discussion has been done many times before but can someone direct me to the appropriate Threads, please.

I am looking at the pros and cons of both e tec and 4 stroke outboards in about the 90HP range so that I can make an informed decision on which suits my circumstances. I will be putting the motor on a 5.20 m Formosa Center Console that will be used for estuary, Bay and some Outside fishing.

I realise that dealer after sales support and a good mechanic are just as important as the choice of outboard but I need some background information on both first as most dealers have a vested interested in selling their own product be it 2 or 4 stroke.

It is not my intention to identify one as " better " than the other but rather find the most suitable outboard for my circumstances. For this to occur I need to understand the technology of both and have some user feedback.

Noelm
09-02-2009, 07:32 AM
if you have a look some ways back I did what I considered to be as unbiased as possible pros and cons of both operating principals, not too sure if you can find it but have a look, I reckon it will be a miracle if this does not degrade into sh!t fight before days end, but you never know!! as far as understanding the technologies involved a quick Google will see a thousand pages on just that, but in a nut shell, over a few years of operation and service, the total cost of ownership will be so close to not matter, so shop around and see what you can find.

Noelm
09-02-2009, 07:41 AM
I forgot to add, you will get many owners that love their choice of either 2 or 4 stroke, that's why they have them, you will get a handfull that have had issues (all things can break) and you will get a lot of owners that will bag the other, even though they have never owned one, or heard from their mate at the pub that somone knows someone that knew someone that had one "blow up" so you will also need to be a Barrister to sort out the sh!t from the clay as well, good luck!

TheRealAndy
09-02-2009, 08:10 AM
I got a yam 4 stroke and its the best, mucher better than any etec::)

Seriously though, they are all the same, makes no difference. Buy the one that looks the best on your boat!

1lastcast
09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
4 stroke is the only way to go ! do they still make 2 strokes ??? they must be ok though after all NOAH had one on his ark !!!!!!!;D

finga
09-02-2009, 08:19 AM
I forgot to add, you will get many owners that love their choice of either 2 or 4 stroke, that's why they have them, you will get a handfull that have had issues (all things can break) and you will get a lot of owners that will bag the other, even though they have never owned one, or heard from their mate at the pub that somone knows someone that knew someone that had one "blow up" so you will also need to be a Barrister to sort out the sh!t from the clay as well, good luck!
The barrister was, in all probability, the starter of the sh!t amongst the clay :)

Then he charged you a matza to sort it out:-/

But seriously, if the prices, servicing and the other things you mentioned were about the same I'd be heading to the 4 stroke fella to talk turkey.

finding_time
09-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Just to contradict Noel's above opinion of human nature::) I own a couple of four strokes but if i was to buy a motor in the 90hp range i would be very very tempted by the 90 e-tecs at 147 kg there the lightest of new technology motors in this range. The next best and there biggest challenger is the suki 90 four at 155kg and it would be a shootout between these 2 imho. It really depends on the hp of motor you wish to buy as to which type of motor you choose and in the 90 range the e-tec is a rippa;) But if you were looking at a 60 well the yami 4 would be my pick easily as it a 4 cylinder motor and has a very very good wrap. Say you were looking at a 140 then the suki 4 would be my pick and in 150 a yami 4 would do it for me!

Ian

finga
09-02-2009, 08:25 AM
Just to contradict Noel's above opinion of human nature::) I own a couple of four strokes but if i was to buy a motor in the 90hp range i would be very very tempted by the 90 e-tecs at 147 kg there the lightest of new technology motors in this range. The next best and there biggest challenger is the suki 90 four at 155kg and it would be a shootout between these 2 imho. It really depends on the hp of motor you wish to buy as to which type of motor you choose and in the 90 range the e-tec is a rippa;) But if you were looking at a 60 well the yami 4 would be my pick easily as it a 4 cylinder motor and has a very very good wrap. Say you were looking at a 140 then the suki 4 would be my pick and in 150 a yami 4 would do it for me!

Ian
That's only a weight difference of 8 kilos.
Gees I near poop that much every day. Well not quite that but 8 kilos isn't much. About 9L of fuel difference.
Are those weights dry weight or fueled up, oiled up ready to roll??

black runner
09-02-2009, 08:45 AM
I would go the Yamaha 100hp 4 stroke - Would be sweet on the 520.

I base this on personal experience with my 60 4-stroke and test runs on a 540 Trailcraft.

Cheers

Noelm
09-02-2009, 10:09 AM
4 stroke is the only way to go ! do they still make 2 strokes ??? they must be ok though after all NOAH had one on his ark !!!!!!!;D
I think Noah's outboard is still running! he had a 4 stroke on the Ark, but repowered when the rains came as he could not get an Oil filter for it, and the extra weight and low power output was no good with all that cargo, very wise man that Noah huh!

Noelm
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
sorry sporty, I was just being silly and could not help myself, doesn't help you one bit.

finding_time
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Finga

Yes i believe they are " ready to roll weights" and yes they are close and would be a tough decession between the two but the other in this class are much heavier again . so if your looking at 90's these would be my pics!

juju
09-02-2009, 02:09 PM
All i can say is my 75 e-tec (same as the90) has been good to me over the last 3 1/2 years i get about 55-60 klm out of it on my trailcraft 475.....things i dont like.....1 you cant see the tell-tail when your driving , cant have those little looks back i used to on teh old boat to make sure she was pumping....but for all i know you might not see the one on a merc,yam,suz, honda...otherwise in happy..so you should be with any new one these days...i had a quick service after 30 hours , then the 3 year bit $134.00 for the first check... full service was $170 parts (impeller, fuel filter, oil, new set of plugs) +labour..the 90 would cost the same..

Mindi
09-02-2009, 04:27 PM
This month this old question was raised again on Fishnet and someone who had actually run both on the same boat and same conditions posted the following. Never seen anyone who actually had this experience before.

Stu
hope this helps but in the end they are all good

I have a Stabi 559 and on the back for a 11 months was a 115 -e-tech, lovely motor never gave me any trouble great fuel usage and little oil usage. I have now a 115 suzuki 4 stroke with just over 20 hours. Reason for change was that due to a battery fault it spiked the e-tech which caught fire, insurance right off.
Like you I do a lot of trolling so thought I would try the 4 stroke as it cost me nothing to change, never had a 4 and after 30 years of boating wanted to try.
So far - fuel liitle or no difference, 4 stroke quieter at lower end and infact hard to hear at idle flat out all motors are loud, certainly no smell with 4. Speed e-tech quicker out of hole, flat out no difference, 4 slightly heavier at the back. 4 stroke service cost me 300 and over the 11 months used about 210 worth of oil on e-tech (120h), both start at a turn of the key everytime.
I have a 100lt tank can run to shelf and back get 6 hours fishing in and only use 1/2 a tank.
Loved both motors, like the qietness of the 4 so just give it the edge so far but still early days.
It's a hard choice but you can't go wrong with both, see what deal you can get, especially now

Jabba_
09-02-2009, 06:33 PM

Ian
Hey Ian, the 90 E-tec is not as good as you would believe.. As it is a I3 motor it doesn't have as much torque at the Opti or the older Evinrudes or Merc's...
On the other hand the 75 E-tec is a gem an punches well above its weight, but being a I3 motor it dooes have a slight vibration at 2000 rpm...

As a trolling motor any E-tec will return you very good fuel economy figures, and yes they will troll all day without a cough a or splatter. Many times I have trolled for 6-8hrs non-stop without a issue, ie fouled plugs.. and in a 250hp a fast troll, 12-13kn I use 13-15lt/ph and a slow troll 6-10kn = 5-8lt/ph...

finding_time
09-02-2009, 06:47 PM
On the other hand the 75 E-tec is a gem an punches well above its weight,

That's just my point Jabba, the 90 at 147kg is a good motor ( yes being a 3 cylinder is a issue imho)but the 75 at at 147kg doesnt relly punch above it's weight at all in fact it's 15 hp shy of it!

ian

Jabba_
09-02-2009, 07:16 PM
That's just my point Jabba, the 90 at 147kg is a good motor ( yes being a 3 cylinder is a issue imho)but the 75 at at 147kg doesnt relly punch above it's weight at all in fact it's 15 hp shy of it!

ian
I know what your saying, but for money, the extra your paying for the 90 is wasted money, as the 90 is only good for an extra 3mph @ wot over the 75.. In real HP the 75 is around 80hp and the 90 is about 85hp..

Jabba_
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
This month this old question was raised again on Fishnet and someone who had actually run both on the same boat and same conditions posted the following. Never seen anyone who actually had this experience before.

Stu
hope this helps but in the end they are all good

I have a Stabi 559 and on the back for a 11 months was a 115 -e-tech, lovely motor never gave me any trouble great fuel usage and little oil usage. I have now a 115 suzuki 4 stroke with just over 20 hours. Reason for change was that due to a battery fault it spiked the e-tech which caught fire, insurance right off.
Like you I do a lot of trolling so thought I would try the 4 stroke as it cost me nothing to change, never had a 4 and after 30 years of boating wanted to try.
So far - fuel liitle or no difference, 4 stroke quieter at lower end and infact hard to hear at idle flat out all motors are loud, certainly no smell with 4. Speed e-tech quicker out of hole, flat out no difference, 4 slightly heavier at the back. 4 stroke service cost me 300 and over the 11 months used about 210 worth of oil on e-tech (120h), both start at a turn of the key everytime.
I have a 100lt tank can run to shelf and back get 6 hours fishing in and only use 1/2 a tank.
Loved both motors, like the qietness of the 4 so just give it the edge so far but still early days.
It's a hard choice but you can't go wrong with both, see what deal you can get, especially now

Thats a good read Mindi...

Basicly buy the motor with the best warranty and after sales service... At the moment I believe Suzuki are offering a 7 year warranty, and everyone else is 5.... I like the sound of having 7 years off warranty...

finding_time
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I know what your saying, but for money, the extra your paying for the 90 is wasted money, as the 90 is only good for an extra 3mph @ wot over the 75.. In real HP the 75 is around 80hp and the 90 is about 85hp..

There both 1295cc engines, really there the same engine only the 90's dialed up, and i take your point but i'm sure the 75 is producing 75hp at 5000 rpm and the 90 is producing 90hp at 5000rpm . The differance may be 5000 and 5600 rpm range where there may be a much bigger output from the 75 than there is from the 90;)

BTW the suzuki is 1950cc and for only 7 kg extra may be the way to go!

Ian

Ps. BTW look at me sticking up for an e-tec?::) ::) ::)

disorderly
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
That's only a weight difference of 8 kilos.
Gees I near poop that much every day.

Think the Etec weighs 147kg with prop and oil... need to add the weight of a propeller to the suzi and about 4 litres of engine oil....aprox. an extra 10 KG ...

So finga, if you are sh!tting 18kg's a day then I would suggest an immediate trip to the proctologist...;);D

disorderly
09-02-2009, 08:18 PM
T

BTW the suzuki is 1950cc and for only 7 kg extra may be the way to go!

Ian

Ps. BTW look at me sticking up for an e-tec?::) ::) ::)

I think the new suzi is 1500 cc hence the weight saving from the older 2 litre model...and also remember that its a totally new and unproven lighter powerhead...so its guinea pig territory for the new owners for the first year or 2...although a 7 year warranty sounds sweet

Scott

marine engineer
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM

ian

Just curious Ian, why is a 3 cylinder an issue?
IMHO the odd cylinder numbers are a much smoother running engine, if the cylinder config is divisable by a prime number, the are considered to be better balanced.

finding_time
09-02-2009, 09:53 PM
It's more a cc issue than a cylinder issue i guess, they really seem to screw the hp out of lower cc engines. Maybe this wont be an issue long term maybe it will

Ian