PDA

View Full Version : The World's Most Shark Infested Spots

Big Shaun
08-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Zoo Weekly have listed the world's most shark infested spots on the pub ammo page of the current issue. Following is the order and I have no idea where they got there research from but I was to surprised Brisbane was listed at number 8 for Great Whites.

1. West End, Grand Bahama Island......Tiger Sharks
2. Kahana, West Maui, Hawaii...............Tiger Sharks
3. Racife, Brazil......................................Variou s Types
4. North Shore, Oahu, Hawaii................Galapagoes, Sandbars, Tigers
5. Umhlanga Rocks, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.....Great Whites & Bulls
6. New Smyrna Beach, Florida................Blacktip Sharks
7. Bolinas Beach, California....................Great Whites
8. Brisbane, Australia.............................Great Whites
9. Gansbaai, near Capetown, South Africa.....Great Whites
10. Kosi Bay, South Africa........................Zambezis Sharks

deepfried
08-02-2009, 10:00 PM
I have heard or seen somewhere that Brisbane has a heap of sharks but they were bulls. I wouldnt think that there is more white pointers at Brisbane than down south around SA and lower WA. i think they stuffed up.

Scott

levinge
08-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Dedicated to high level integrity in their reporting I'd expect Time or National Geographic, but NOOOOOO the statistics come from where

ZOO WEEKLY - believable - doubtful

Brisabane and great whites, yeah maybe when my dad was a lad back in the 60's but I doubt it these days. Besides most of queensland has Bronze whalers, tigers, Black tip Reefers, grey reefers, bulls and some other really nasty ones.

Go to the reef up north and you generally get 1 or 2 keepers per spot before you get busted up by the sharks...

ZOO WEEKLY - Gees that cracks me up

GBC
09-02-2009, 09:55 AM
I'd gues the zoo team looked up a game fishing records site and did some pasting.
Any mention of Bob Dyer?

Jungle Jim
09-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I don’t read Zoo for the statistics.....

Although if anyone would know WHITE POINTERS it would be those guys...... ;D

JIM

Leighton
09-02-2009, 10:38 AM
I did hear the Tallebudgera Creek has the highest population /area of Bull Sharks on the coast

cqfreshie
09-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I don’t read Zoo for the statistics.....

Although if anyone would know WHITE POINTERS it would be those guys...... ;D

JIM

Yeah Jim ... I think someone mentioned white pointers in The Valley;) and they totally misunderstood?::)

kokomo
09-02-2009, 01:52 PM
brisbane does get white's.. they come up with the wales

some of my spearo buddies saw some last winter off moreton..

but as a top 10.. yeah lol... but they do exist...

top 10 for bull sharks id believe but for nothing else imo

Big Shaun
09-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I would think bull sharks as well. Anything relating to fishing is worth posting imo even for a laugh. Zoo Weekly has some nice white pointers...so does it qualify as a fishing mag?

Apollo
09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Shaun

I am impressed that you actual read the articles in Zoo. I didn't even know they had any!

finding_time
09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
One of the top Tiger shark spots in the world would be Raine Island in Nth QLD when the turtles are laying, and as far as great whites go they were close, the Gold Coast has a very high white pointer ratio!

struktcha_man
10-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I think the mean Bull sharks for Brisbane..lol

ronnien
10-02-2009, 05:35 PM
if you believe zoo than you will believe me when i say that the sun will never rise again!! what a load of crap.

ron.

goldfish
11-02-2009, 04:48 PM
isn't Kookaburra park (karana downs bris river) the most consertrated for bull sharks in the world. i remember sometihing about it from a doco. because thats where we go skiing.

ifishcq1
11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
Years ago when Tangalooma was a working whaling station there were heaps of whites in the bay and the concentration of whites in whaling season was unbelievable according to the old pros at Dunwich (none of them are still alive to ask anymore)
Byron was just the same except the whales were caught in passing as opposed to when they were aggregating in Moreton Bay
slowly as the whaling was stopped the numbers of whites has dropped dramatically
we were going out through the south passage bar 30 odd years ago when we used to pro fish for mackerel in a 14ft clarke abalone while we were passing a trawler there was a pair of whites way bigger than our boat following so we discreetly took a wide berth

these days South Australia or WA would have to be the high spots in Aus

Cheers
SL

struktcha_man
12-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Years ago when Tangalooma was a working whaling station there were heaps of whites in the bay and the concentration of whites in whaling season was unbelievable according to the old pros at Dunwich (none of them are still alive to ask anymore)
Byron was just the same except the whales were caught in passing as opposed to when they were aggregating in Moreton Bay
slowly as the whaling was stopped the numbers of whites has dropped dramatically
we were going out through the south passage bar 30 odd years ago when we used to pro fish for mackerel in a 14ft clarke abalone while we were passing a trawler there was a pair of whites way bigger than our boat following so we discreetly took a wide berth

these days South Australia or WA would have to be the high spots in Aus

Cheers
SL

Yeah they say Byron gets them (and even a few attacks too), because it is Australias most Easterly point and closer to the big currents moving up and down the coast.

I was talking to a guy and we where speculating that there may well be some great whites alive that where alive in the whaling days and still pop in on their way past just to see whats up, or if there is a feed around like the old days :D .

cheers

Nico.d.R
12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
yeah i saw a doco that put the brissie river as number 3 most populated (in the world) with bullys and they were fishing around jindalee tagging sharks while there were skiers behind them lol (just like down the pine ).

cheers