PDA

View Full Version : Haines 580 slf

Ben G
08-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Hi , Can anyone offer there thoughts on the Haines 580 slf. We are looking at one with a 130 Honda, Seems to be in good condition apart from a bit sun beaten.

Cheers Ben,

David H
08-02-2009, 09:41 PM
G'Day Ben,

I had a 580 SF that was fitted with a 150hp 2 stroke evinrude oceanpro for about 9 years. It was a good boat with plenty of fishing room and enough space to get some sleep on those overnighters. Having a fairly deep v in the hull it was great for cutting through the chop and have come back in some fairly rough conditions (rough enough that my mate and I were taking turns to drive while the other had a rest at the blunt end), but the negavtive is that it rolled quite a bit at rest when rough.

I would also recommend fitting trim tabs if it doesnt have them.

The 150 2-stroke on the back was plenty of power, but dont have any experience with the honda 4 strokes. Imagine it would be a bit heavier than the 2 stroke, but more fuel efficient.

All in all a great boat (sometimes wish I still had it) with the only negative I can think of being the rolling at rest when rough.

Hope this helps,

Regards David.

hercules
09-02-2009, 08:38 PM
I have a haines 585 seeker that used to have a 130 honda on it . Mine is a heavy boat for its size and it needed a few more hp mainly for bar crossings . Not bagging the honda or anything .
Spainard King on this site used to have a 580 haines (not sure what model but newer than mine) and he had a 130hp honda that worked fine on his . He got 5 knots more than me .
Just test run it and make sure it has enough hp for your needs .
Craig

Ben G
10-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the info guys,