PDA

View Full Version : What type of two stroke oil

bobby g
08-02-2009, 07:38 AM
I have a 150 Johnson, V6 2 stroke outboard, 12 years old, done about 150 hours, serviced at paradise point boat yard runs very well. I buy Johnson 2 stroke oil from the boys at the yard $65 for 4-5 Liters, cause it's ment to be the best oil for the engine.

Why could i not use a castrol 2 stroke oil as i do in my small merc outboard at half the price? Would it have any effect on the engine? Or is it just large margins being made on marine oil?

Thoughts and advice

Thanks

Bobby g

:D

bustaonenut
08-02-2009, 07:58 AM
As long as it has a TC-W3 rating it is fine to use

BaitThrower
08-02-2009, 09:10 AM
Yep most TCW3 2-stroke marine oils will be fine. Stick to the name brands though.
Personally I use Valvoline. Its synthetic fortified and priced well. never had a problem.

I probably wouldn't go castrol though. I remember looking up the data sheets for all these oils a while back. Castrol was the only one that had some hint of carbon/ash potential residue. It was only very small though but might be worth considering.

Chimo
08-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Bobby and others

I seem to recall being told? that its best not to mix different TCW-3 oils in the oil reservoir. Something about gelling? or is this just an old wives tale.

So if this is correct, is it best to run the reservoir nearly empty before changing brands?

If it is not the case can you safely mix different brands?

Thanks

Cheers
Chimo

FNQCairns
08-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Yep most TCW3 2-stroke marine oils will be fine. Stick to the name brands though.
Personally I use Valvoline. Its synthetic fortified and priced well. never had a problem.

I probably wouldn't go castrol though. I remember looking up the data sheets for all these oils a while back. Castrol was the only one that had some hint of carbon/ash potential residue. It was only very small though but might be worth considering.

Ahh dont say that baithrower, the Castrol is one of the very few good tcw3 oils out there, need link to your source as that oil is (last time I looked) jasco fc rated, I have posted links to the certifiers on here before.

Here below is on link to some broad info on tcw3, it's an interesting area, but science alone does sort the good from the bad.

I would use any tcw3 that is fc rated as only those tcw3 oils BLITZED the tcw3 certification and left it crushed, those tcw3 oils that are not good enough to be FC will every time easily pass as a tcw3.

Chimo if it will not mix one or both will not be tcw3, it's a wives tale hung over from the days of before (around) tcw2-which by the way was a better oil than tcw3 .....from the engines protection (lubrication) point of view.

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=69196&highlight=nmma

lots more too it, best oil will be a low ash for ultimate protection but not gum up the engine at low temperature.....E-tec oil????

cheers fnq

robersl
08-02-2009, 11:40 AM
when i got my 40 2stroke yammie i was told to use yammy lube on it till it was run in for warrenty purposes then any other tc w3 would be ok but try not to use nautalaus as it is not as good as some of the others, just what the dealer told me

shane

STUIE63
09-02-2009, 02:20 PM
listen to FNQ
Stuie

Steeler
09-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I use Fuchs 2 stroke,i was told they are the O.E supplier to Merc/Quicksilver.If some knows this is not to be the case would they please advise ????????.

Cheers
Steve

charlieash
09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
shop around and i am sure you'd get that oil for $39.99 if its xd 30 the johnson oil

backlash08
09-02-2009, 03:02 PM
oils aint oils