PDA

View Full Version : Save Our Bay Rally 28th February 2009

Black_Rat
07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
A car & boat rally is being held in Brisbane on Saturday 28th February 2009

This is a "MUST” attend event. Every fisherperson needs to know about this rally ! If everybody does nothing - nothing will be done !

Why attend ?

Simple, closing fishing areas is not going to fix the sustainability problem with Moreton Bay. The EPA has approved 15% of the dugong sea grass beds to be dredged for the airport extension and the pollution running into the Bay has not decreased but increased….yet they blame us for their mistakes. Recreational anglers are part of the solution, not the problem! So come make your voice heard.

The meeting point will be located on Lavarack Ave in Eagle Farm where we will proceed through the City and onto Colmslie for a BBQ in the park for those that want to catch up for a yarn and feed. :)

We will be mustering at 9:30am and departing at 10am Sharp

This is a great opportunity to show the strength, unity and resolve of the recreational Fisher Folk of Moreton Bay and SEQ. Recreational fisherman are part of the solution, not the problem ! It’s now up to you ! ;)

The full PDF file and route map can be downloaded from the SOBA webiste.
Click here -----> http://www.saveourbay.org.au/Protest_Rally_Flyer_280209_For_Publishing.pdf

If anyone wants the PDF file emailed to them to print off and distribute then send me a PM

TimiBoy
07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Even if the wind is zero, and the barometer is 1025, I will be there, with Bubi in tow.

I hope everyone will commit to this, it's the first day of the rest of our fishing lives, if we want one!

Cheers,

Tim

wags on the water
08-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I'd love to be there, but I'll be (hopefully) recovering well in a Gold Coast hospital.

Cheers,

Wags

Angla
08-02-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm in.

Does anybody else have a 40 channel uhf in the vehicle so that we at the back may get updates to the convoys progress. Pick a channel if you do.

Chris

The-easyrider
08-02-2009, 01:53 PM
we will be there with bells on. what about chanel 15 on uhf

Black_Rat
08-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Wags, get well soon ! ;) there are plenty of fish to chase.

Thanks Timiboy, Angla & The-easyrider with your support we can make an impact !

chevyJ
08-02-2009, 03:21 PM
I think its a great idea and I will be there. but really will it change whats going to happen? I hope it does but I think not........ better now than never..........

Black_Rat
08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
chevyJ,

The protest wont change the new zonings that come into affect on 1st March.

What we want to do is expose the myth that recreational anglers have a negative impact on Moreton Bay ! There are far more bigger issues affecting our bay and it aint got nothing to do with recreational anglers !

Personally I am and many others on the East coast of Australia are sick of being the scapegoat for poor enviromental practices of the past !

Sheik
08-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Yes it can change things and the timing is perfect witha state election looming. As a former political media adviser I know that party machines will be going big time on polls of issues that could impact big time on party support (a la koala road which screwed Wayne Goss). What we need to do is relate the issue to the merson on the street and find grounds which will threaten their lifestyle as well as those who fish recreationally.

Black_Rat
08-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Too elaberate on my last post you only have to visit the ECOfishers website to see the BS being thrown around in relation to fishing bans. Recreational aglers in NSW are going through the same BS we are ! When will the rot stop ! On Feb 28th !

Lovey80
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Great guys I'll be home for this one count me in!

Cheers

Chris

Sheik
08-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Too elaberate on my last post you only have to visit the ECOfishers website to see the BS being thrown around in relation to fishing bans. Recreational aglers in NSW are going through the same BS we are ! When will the rot stop ! On Feb 28th !
While I completely agree with your feelings BR, this rally is only the first step in a long drawn out process. In order to make an impact with the political masters, we have to generate enough momentum to make them realise that going ahead with their plans will cost them more votes than they will win by reversing their decsion and admitting it is BS. This is how green politics works eg OK Anna, you go ahead with this plan, aand you'll lose X voters across Qld, and that could lose you Y seats, which will chuck you out of government.

catfishkid
08-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Black rat has the link for the pdf file of the flyer in the original post for this thread and I urge everyone to print at least 50 or more if you can.I have already got two local tackle shops to put the flyer in their front window with more on their counters for people to take as well.Take them to your local fish & chips shop,your corner store ,your workmates just get them out there,the more the better.If you explain what we are really about,that we do believe in conservation for the future based on science and fact not scaremongering and backdoor deals most are happy to support.

Cheers Craig

robersl
08-02-2009, 07:11 PM
I will be there by is there any chance of getting the protest leaflet into the papers be the local or courier mail so others get to know of this or maybe get a lnp person to comslie to give there side for the future or even the current gov to get our point accross would be a photo op for them
Just asking
shane

shane

Poodroo
08-02-2009, 08:59 PM
The EPA has approved 15% of the dugong sea grass beds to be dredged for the airport extension and the pollution running into the Bay has not decreased but increased….yet they blame us for their mistakes.

Actually Damo I don't think they are blaming us for their mistakes but rather using us as a scapegoat to cover up their own iniquities and wrong decisions. ;) I will try to attend but may be working that day so will have the cause in my thoughts. I have attended previous rallies and would normally get there when possible but that was before the new job. Hope all goes well and there is loads of support on this occasion. Just remember everyone that there is a huge difference between voicing opinions civilly and venting anger about what you believe in. Do not end up on the news as an angry mob as that will be detrimental to our cause.

Poodroo

BayDog
08-02-2009, 10:25 PM
i'll be there

Sheik
08-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Good call poodroo. I wonder also wehther we could link somehow to other fishing websites like QFM (fishingmonthly.com.au) sweetwater, and Brisbane fishing so that all anglers are aware of what is occuring

TheRealAndy
09-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Good call poodroo. I wonder also wehther we could link somehow to other fishing websites like QFM (fishingmonthly.com.au) sweetwater, and Brisbane fishing so that all anglers are aware of what is occuring

Advertise it where you want. If you are a member of other fishing forums then make sure you throw it up there too.

harry_h01
09-02-2009, 08:12 AM
I'll be there, with Boat in Tow. I got permission from the other half last night.

Harry

Jeremy
09-02-2009, 08:18 AM
I will be there.
Jeremy

nowornever
09-02-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd love to be there, but I'll be (hopefully) recovering well in a Gold Coast hospital.

Cheers,

WagsHey bitch hows the fishing ;D

bondy99
09-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks, will try to be there but I am required to be in NSW for a couple of weeks.

Dirtysanchez
09-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Thanks, I may have a new vessel by then, so I will come along.

BTW, make sure you have your Ausfish stickers on :D

harry_h01
09-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Other than the hand outs, what sort of signage are we looking to put on the sides of the boats etc?

Just after some direction.

Harry

themissus
09-02-2009, 11:58 AM
We will try and make it too.

marlydog
09-02-2009, 03:03 PM
Great idea, Hope it helps, Marlydog

murf
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Its my birthday weekend but I am trying to make it up from Coffs, If I can escape I will try and grab a mates boat from Brisvagas and join in

we have been done over down here so make some noise and show you too don't want to be the scapegoat

people power and the squeaky wheel gets the oil;)

good luck with it folks, keep up the fight

cheers Murf

Chris Ryan
09-02-2009, 07:17 PM
Other than the hand outs, what sort of signage are we looking to put on the sides of the boats etc?

Harry

Hi Harry,

This is all about the real issues that affect the Bay. We are looking at pollution issues caused by run-off, we are looking at the hypocrisy that is shutting fisho's out for dugong seagrass yet 15% of it gets sucked up by the dredge. If fishing is the only thing that is wrong (as all the closed fishing grounds would suggest), why has the Bligh Government now gone to the trouble of legislating against run-off in the GBR? Isn't her own back yard good enough for this to be done here too?

The other main point which is a sign on its own is "Recreational Fisherman are par of the SOLUTION, not the problem". We're are eco-warriors in our own right, we pickup after ourselves, we collect others crap, we make sure released fish are done so carefully, we service our motors, we are moving to direct injection 2 and 4 strokes as money affords. We are using more biodegradable lures etc etc etc. We are NOT the rednecked losers that Simon Baltais wants everyone to believe.

We care for OUR Bay. Our slogans and banners will reflect this.

Lucky_Phill has done some up already and as Black_Rat is running this project for us, he may well have some others to use so watch for his guidance.

Cheers,
Chris

Scalem
09-02-2009, 08:13 PM
I'll also try to be part of the main procession, as I did last time, we assembled the southside bunch at the Gateway Truckstop then headed over together, which worked really well. Suggest we do the same again except can I suggest if anyone does not have their e-toll organized, now is the perfect time to get it done, ( its inevitable as they will abolish manned booths) so we don't have any stragglers looking for change at the toll . https://www.etoll.com.au/etoll/

Poodroo already said what I was about to, but I'll add to it. Stay professional guys and be courteous in traffic and to people we speak with.

A time for the southside roundup to be set shortly, open to suggestions.

Scalem

Ausfish
09-02-2009, 10:21 PM
We should also look at doing something about some of the ads on TV. Not exactly helping our cause when these ads depict us as a bunch of beer drinking idiots.

Poodroo
10-02-2009, 06:37 AM
Okay, count me in. Chatted to the boss and made sure that I have that Saturday off. I will have the UHF hand held on the day and will have one spare for anyone that would like to approach me to borrow it. I would like to suggest that everyone who takes part in the convoy turn their lights on as well because it will draw more attention. Perhaps we can invite an EPA official to come along to talk to us? If they decline we can rub it in their face that they wouldn't do us the courtesy of making an appearance and if they do show up we can at least share our views with them. They (EPA) are good at using the media to make fishermen and women look bad to the general public. Perhaps we can cleverly do the same thing by revealing all the underhanded decisions they are making with OUR Moreton Bay.

Poodroo

Chris Ryan
10-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi Poodroo,

It is not all the EPA's doing here too so we have to be careful in some aspects. We know that DIP (Dept Infrastructure & Planning) have railroaded the EPA is areas concerning the Airport expansion and I daresay in other areas of coastal development as well. Yes the EPA have closed down areas for fishing and need to be accountable for that. We also have to congnescant of how Government works and where directives come from. The closures are as a result of many factors, mainly pressure on preferences from Greens to Labor at the last state election, wrapped in a package that resembles sustainability and then spun out of the 200 odd PR machine as "for our kids future".

Many areas are being targeted in this rally. The EPA for their part as being pawns and then overzealous legislators, the DIP for their growth and money at all costs attitude, the local councils for being bunnies and not doing anything to push against the tide, for the lack of management of water run-off (and local government here too) and much more.

Be good to see you there mate and catch up again.

Cheers,
Chris

bondy99
10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Hello Chris Ryan, Poodroo and Scalem,

I agree with all the above, but also we need to put the message across that developers should bugger off from developing coastal communities, especially canal estates. Mangroves are needed not just for nursery grounds for prawns, crabs and fish species as part of their life cycle. Mangroves also play an important role in controlling siltation / soil runoff from the land during storm events and also in part act as a buffer agent during bad weather. Without our mangroves there will be no fishery. No one in the Govt has the balls enough to say no to the developers. Extreme greenies also need to chastised.

We dont want to end up like Singapore.
That's my spin. Peter

Chris Ryan
10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
That is exactly the stuff we are fighting Peter. The Dept Infrastructure & Planning (the Old State Development) is the key to allowing that coastal development to continue. It is also crap that the Barrier Reef is the only waterways to get protection for wetlands and mangrove forests from run-off!!

Glad you are on board to help with this!

Cheers,
Chris

Blueroo
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm there regardless of weather.
I'll try printing some flyers and putting them under windscreen wipers at the local ramp. If we all do a bit it will make the crowd just that little bit bigger.
We need to get the word out.
The usual problem is people either wont get involved or just don't know about the protest.
Cheers
Stue

Poodroo
10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Hello Chris Ryan, Poodroo and Scalem,

I agree with all the above, but also we need to put the message across that developers should bugger off from developing coastal communities, especially canal estates. Mangroves are needed not just for nursery grounds for prawns, crabs and fish species as part of their life cycle. Mangroves also play an important role in controlling siltation / soil runoff from the land during storm events and also in part act as a buffer agent during bad weather. Without our mangroves there will be no fishery. No one in the Govt has the balls enough to say no to the developers. Extreme greenies also need to chastised.

We dont want to end up like Singapore.
That's my spin. Peter
G'day Peter, the unfortunate thing about developers and anyone for that matter is that they are money motivated. Water front canals bring in big dollars and there will always be huge interests from investors and people who have the money to live that sort of lifestyle so we would be flogging a dead horse to even think that they would "bugger off" from doing what they do. The fact is that we have so many wealthy people from overseas who come to Australia to spend their money to live that sort of lifestyle. I would be interested to see the percentage of true blue Aussies who actually live in these lovely water front canals. Dare I say that they would be a minority group. Bottom line is we will never stop this kind of progress. We can certainly make public how we feel about it and the best we can hope for is that some will actually hear our message and stop and listen to what we have to say. None of us want to be stopped from being able to take the family out for a day on the water to catch the odd fish for dinner. It is part of our way of life and has been for centuries and we would like to do our part to make sure it is part of the future generations' way of life to enjoy too.

Hi Poodroo,

It is not all the EPA's doing here too so we have to be careful in some aspects. We know that DIP (Dept Infrastructure & Planning) have railroaded the EPA is areas concerning the Airport expansion and I daresay in other areas of coastal development as well. Yes the EPA have closed down areas for fishing and need to be accountable for that. We also have to congnescant of how Government works and where directives come from. The closures are as a result of many factors, mainly pressure on preferences from Greens to Labor at the last state election, wrapped in a package that resembles sustainability and then spun out of the 200 odd PR machine as "for our kids future".

Many areas are being targeted in this rally. The EPA for their part as being pawns and then overzealous legislators, the DIP for their growth and money at all costs attitude, the local councils for being bunnies and not doing anything to push against the tide, for the lack of management of water run-off (and local government here too) and much more.

Be good to see you there mate and catch up again.

Cheers,
Chris

I quite agree with you Chris. There are a lot of players involved that's for sure. I look forward to catching up again on the day.

Cheers,

Poodroo

honda900
11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
To all,

We need to get more ads out, last time we did the brissy river run, we had under 50 boats, not enough, we need to get this seriously advertised news, radio and tv.

We also need to make sure we get 500 boats there, We also need some crediblity with celebrities that may back us, ET, Bushy, Webby, Corten and the like. Make sure there faces are seen on camera.

Get around some of the local footy / soccer /netball clubs and get them to put up some posters..

Without this we are the small minority and no one will hear what we have to say.

Heres a start, Send them an email. Get all the local rags, the more pestering them the better.

mail.bbulletin@ruralpress.com

http://wynnum-herald.whereilive.com.au/contact/ (http://wynnum-herald.whereilive.com.au/contact/)

Regards
Honda

The Chief
11-02-2009, 04:14 PM
ill be there.

Black_Rat
11-02-2009, 06:52 PM

Harry

Harry, Phill and his apprentice knocked up these placards a few weeks ago -> http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=143743

I will have these available on the day to tape, zip-tie and fix to boats / cars if anyone needs some or simply make your own. Keep it simple and non-abusive.

As Poodroo has suggested we can and should drive with our headlights on and we'll have streamers available (Sky blue,white and black = SOBA) for cars as well to be hung off arials/doors.

However we decide to decorate our boats/cars make sure their fixed down securely ;)

Black_Rat
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
While I completely agree with your feelings BR, this rally is only the first step in a long drawn out process. In order to make an impact with the political masters, we have to generate enough momentum to make them realise that going ahead with their plans will cost them more votes than they will win by reversing their decsion and admitting it is BS. This is how green politics works eg OK Anna, you go ahead with this plan, aand you'll lose X voters across Qld, and that could lose you Y seats, which will chuck you out of government.

It is the first step/start of a ground sea swell brewing along the East Coast of Australia namely in QLD and NSW.

Rumblings in NSW and touted fishing "sanctuaries/bans" are going to affect many travellers from QLD heading south of the boarder. Historic fishing destinations from the Tweed River to Iluka/Yamba to Sydney are under threat. :(

With SOBA & ECOfishers NSW working together on these issues we have a fighting combination to be reckoned with in the making ! :)

David Storey
12-02-2009, 07:23 AM
sounds great

bondy99
12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
[quote=Poodroo;969125]G'day Peter, the unfortunate thing about developers and anyone for that matter is that they are money motivated. Water front canals bring in big dollars and there will always be huge interests from investors and people who have the money to live that sort of lifestyle so we would be flogging a dead horse to even think that they would "bugger off" from doing what they do. The fact is that we have so many wealthy people from overseas who come to Australia to spend their money to live that sort of lifestyle. I would be interested to see the percentage of true blue Aussies who actually live in these lovely water front canals. Dare I say that they would be a minority group. Bottom line is we will never stop this kind of progress. We can certainly make public how we feel about it and the best we can hope for is that some will actually hear our message and stop and listen to what we have to say. None of us want to be stopped from being able to take the family out for a day on the water to catch the odd fish for dinner. It is part of our way of life and has been for centuries and we would like to do our part to make sure it is part of the future generations' way of life to enjoy too.

Hello Poodroo,

I hope your health is much better than last time.

I hear what you say in relation to the Qld developers, seems like NSW Govt has stopped canal estate development in some places because of acid sulfate soil disturbance. Once the mangrove mud or coastal muds get disturbed and exposed to air the more acid is produced and causes millions of dollars of problem solving, not to mention fish kills.

Roads, concrete and steel pipes are corroded away much quicker than normal soil. I think in Queensland there are too many vested interest groups intertwined with developers and governments, especially at the Local Government level and with donations from developers given to councils to promote something in one form or another (you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours) is the old addage. Makes one think who is in bed with who it takes two to tango.

owie625
12-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I will do my best to come along as well. I will drag the tinnie out if it helps and hopefully may get to meet some of you guys along the way.

I dont get out that much and when I am around, there is not much danger to the fish population, but hey - I enjoy it when I can and if me coming along helps to keep the Bay open for all users then count me in!

Foxy4
12-02-2009, 07:25 PM
What the heck. Count me in on this one for sure. I was a staunch Labor voter until this shit happened. Even the new Mayor for Moreton doesn't seem to be living up to one of his election promises.....

I have UHF CB in the truck as well.

Poodroo
12-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Hello Poodroo,

I hope your health is much better than last time.

Thanks for the concern Peter. The health is much better now thanks for asking. ;)

Poodroo

TimiBoy
13-02-2009, 07:03 AM
Folks,

If you are going to be at the rally, bring your boat!!!! THE MORE THE BETTER!!!

Remember - our biggest enemy is apathy. If there is one thing this year you don't sacrifice to a long lie in, or "it looks good out there I'll fish instead" or "raining too much", IT IS THIS!

It's time for Recreational Anglers to tell the world we're here, and we've had enough!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Jeremy
13-02-2009, 12:37 PM
We need to get more ads out, last time we did the brissy river run, we had under 50 boats, not enough, we need to get this seriously advertised news, radio and tv.

We also need to make sure we get 500 boats there, We also need some crediblity with celebrities that may back us, ET, Bushy, Webby, Corten and the like. Make sure there faces are seen on camera.

This is spot on. There have been 3 previous boat rallies, of which I have participated in 2. All have featured underwhelming support from fishers and boaties. If we can't get at least 500 boats along to this rally it will be a failure.

What are the organisers of this protest rally doing this time which is different to previous rallies to ensure there is a massive rollup?

Jeremy

TheRealAndy
13-02-2009, 01:24 PM
This is spot on. There have been 3 previous boat rallies, of which I have participated in 2. All have featured underwhelming support from fishers and boaties. If we can't get at least 500 boats along to this rally it will be a failure.

What are the organisers of this protest rally doing this time which is different to previous rallies to ensure there is a massive rollup?

Jeremy

We are relying on you to help spread the word! We have flyers in shops, people handing out flyers at ramps, business emailing all their clients etc. So make sure you drag your mates along, print out the flyers and hand them around and stick them up at your local shops etc. We really need yours and every other ausfish members help to make this work.

TimiBoy
13-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Nugget will be talking to an anonymous Radio Star about it on Sunday morning.

Print Flyers, put them on the bench at you tackle store, after checking with the manager. I haven't found a manager yet who isn't interested, just tell 'em how much it will cost them!

Visit ramps, talk about it. "See that out there Mate? If we don't get something done, that'll be a Marine Park at the edge there. Yup, just there." Point at his feet.

Tell him his boat will be worth naff all if he can't fish anywhere.

It friggin IS happening in your back yard, bud!

Cheers,

Tim

Black_Rat
13-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Current stats:
2009 - 28th Feb Car/Boat Rally = 16,010 views - 2 weeks to go
2008 - On water Rally = 5327 views
2007 - Car/Boat rally = 7891 views

There is no excuse really just about every active member in the last week has seen the 28th Feb 2009 Rally Flyer.

I wasn't involved behind the scene in previous rallies but attended both. I believe that the rally has been put out there really well with people hitting the local ramps, emailing friends the flyer to now a radio interview. Without funds for advertising it's hard but with people dipping into there own back pockets to print of and distrubute flyers the message is out there.

A big thanks to those that have already hit the ramps, tackle shops, Marinas and other bussiness. This weekend will be slim pickings for hitting the ramps so we should take the time to ring an old fishing buddy and tell them about the rally, get them involved !

Self motivation is the secret to success ;D

Black_Rat
14-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I called 3 old fishing buddies today and 2 of them Rat and Cam will be there !
Who have you called ? 8-)

harry_h01
16-02-2009, 07:46 AM
I have been handing around fliers at work.

One of the techs from the Gold Coast didn't even kow about it. After seeing the map and how it was going to affect his local spot, he is on board as is his brother and fishing partner.

Harry

Poodroo
16-02-2009, 08:53 PM
How many Ausfish members are there and out of all of these members, who out of them live in and around Brisbane? If each of these members gave up just one day to be at the rally I would guess the turnout would be awesome. By all means invite whoever you know owns a boat and get them along but let's make sure we leave a HUGE impression on the public on this one or EPA will make it so that we will be flat out wetting a line in our own bath tubs. I am going to make sure I am there once again. Hope to see a big crowd this time.

Poodroo

TimiBoy
17-02-2009, 05:31 AM
Remember, you DO NOT have to bring a boat! Just a car is fine, or even if you're on foot, there will be room in a car.

Cheers,

Tim

tropicrows
17-02-2009, 11:07 AM
This Saturday my day is fully booked, meaning I won’t be able to hand out flyers or do a windscreen drop at the following ramps.

Wello point
Raby Bay
Vic Point
Redland bay

I am looking for volunteers who can fill the void for me on this Saturday.

Last Sunday I distributed approximately 200 flyers at these ramps, I have also arranged flyers for Leisure Marine and Budds bait & tackle.

It would be good for others to post here, so we can see what areas are being covered and where the gaps arr that need to be filled ASAP.

RJ5023
18-02-2009, 10:04 AM
I posted this in the Poll thread for the rally, but it may not be seen by as many there. Apologies for the duplication.

Marine Parks and Zones are not just a NSW and Qld issue either. In SA we are being lumbered as well, but we are a bit behind your schedule.

It's probably worth pointing out that fishers spend more time on the water, are more personally familiar with the marine world and take more individual actions to maintain the marine environment - on a daily basis - than greenies ever will.

It's not environmental theory to us, it's part of our lives.

Make a lot of noise.

Best wishes from SA.

If you would like to help us out with your experiences with Marine Parks and Zones please go to:-

http://www.strikehook.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,78/board,83.0/

Regards,
RJ

Scott nthQld
20-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I can't attend, though i would if I had the resources, its a pity something like this wasn't organised for the GBR zoning, if something of this scale went ahead, then maybe the moreton bay zoning wouldn't have even gotten a mention in parliarment.

Chris Ryan
20-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi Scott,

I hear ya mate however there may be some chances to do a "hey we haven't gone away" thing up there to put the GBRMPA and Co. on notice that fishos are still there, still obeying the rules and watching them.

Watch this space later this year.

Cheers,
Chris

TheRealAndy
20-02-2009, 07:14 PM
I posted this in the Poll thread for the rally, but it may not be seen by as many there. Apologies for the duplication.

Marine Parks and Zones are not just a NSW and Qld issue either. In SA we are being lumbered as well, but we are a bit behind your schedule.

It's probably worth pointing out that fishers spend more time on the water, are more personally familiar with the marine world and take more individual actions to maintain the marine environment - on a daily basis - than greenies ever will.

It's not environmental theory to us, it's part of our lives.

Make a lot of noise.

Best wishes from SA.

If you would like to help us out with your experiences with Marine Parks and Zones please go to:-

http://www.strikehook.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,78/board,83.0/

Regards,
RJ

RJ mate, I will definately spend some time in your forum. I will be in contact with you.

The more rec fishos on board the better. Multiple states could well make a scene for federal politics. Think about the NRA in the USA. Whilst I dont like to make comparisons to them, they do have numbers and it does affect a lot of political descisions.

Black_Rat
20-02-2009, 09:00 PM
RJ,

I joined up last night :)

It's great (and somewhat alarming!) to see that not only QLD & NSW and now SA are going through the same issues without a recreational angler say on these issues !

We as Rec Anglers need to unite together ! Is it a pie in the sky theroy ????????? ? Hell NO ! We need a National voice for All Recreational Anglers in this country.

This rally is being supported by rec anglers in NSW through ECOfishers for a QLD rally ! And we will do the same :)

This is just the start of a small sea swell coming soon :gossip:

RJ5023
21-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks fellas,

Maybe at some future time people will look back at these dark days and wonder how the hell we managed to let all of these things happen without getting organised and screaming our heads off.

How can millions of people with a common interest be so thoroughly ignored?

Good luck to you all.

Regards,
RJ

Black_Rat
22-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Below is an outline of the route we will take.
I also have a PDF file on the route I can email out for those attending the rally and will have copies on the day and of the description below.

Once we start moving it is important to keep in a single file and in the left lane where practical.

Once we turn left onto Kingsford-Smith Drive, travel in the left lane, about 2.5 klms from the starting point the road will open into 3 lanes; at this point merge into the left lane. About 200m up the road the Inner-City Bypass starts and we veer to the left (Over Breakfast Creek Bridge) , keep in the left lane. 800m further up the road (now 2 lanes) the road will open into 3 lanes just before the Holden dealership (Eagers - now Breakfast Creek Road), again merge into the far left lane. From here this lane will take you all the way to the left turn into Edward Street. Do not turn left over the Storey Bridge but head straight in the same lane up Ann Street.

The left turn into Edward Street can be awkward because there is a bus lane there as well (Far left Lane). You can only start to turn into the bus lane about 20-30 meters before the corner of Ann and Edward Street. Beware of busses and other motorists as they like to jump in early at a red light and it can be difficult to merge into the lane. I have highlighted this area as a potential bottle neck area to Queensland Police so don’t go jumping into the bus lane too early ;) ;)

On Edward Street there will only be 2 lanes to travel in, the rest will be taken up with parking, again stick to the left lane. From here we will veer our way around to the right and the botanic gardens will be on the left.

For those attending the BBQ or heading home on the Southside stick to this lane and it will take you onto the Riverside Expressway heading south.

For those on the Northside they will have to start to get into the right lane which will take you north along the Riverside Expressway where you can head up Hail Street or Inner-city bypass heading east.

For those attending the BBQ take the first exit (Vulture St) after entering the River side Express way from the left lane again. From this lane you will need to merge left into the next lane over the next 300m (Can be a little tricky) There aren’t any events on at the Gabba that I’m aware of so there shouldn’t be a lot of traffic around the Gabba. From here you will need to turn left at the Mobile service station into Wellington Road and then right onto Shafston Avenue where this road will turn into Wynnum Road. Take the left into Junction Road before the Caltex Service station at Morningside, head along Junction Road and straight through the roundabout onto Colmslie Road.

The complete route (to BBQ point) took me 35mins to complete today with around half the traffic expected on Saturday and not towing a boat, therfore it'll probably take over an hour on Saturday so please be patient and courteous to others when travelling along the route.

Those that have UHFs we will be on 28.

PS: On Monday after final discussions i'll post up the general conditions of the permit issued by Queensland Police which must be adhered too without exception. :)

PinHead
22-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Below is an outline of the route we will take.
I also have a PDF file on the route I can email out for those attending the rally and will have copies on the day and of the description below.

Once we start moving it is important to keep in a single file and in the left lane where practical.

Once we turn left onto Kingsford-Smith Drive, travel in the left lane, about 2.5 klms from the starting point the road will open into 3 lanes; at this point merge into the left lane. About 200m up the road the Inner-City Bypass starts and we veer to the left, keep in the left lane( is this up over breakfast Creek Bridge?). 800m further up the road (now 2 lanes) the road will open into 3 lanes just before the Holden dealership (Eagers on Breakfast Creek Road?), again merge into the far left lane. From here this lane will take you all the way to the left turn into Edward Street. ( I am confused now..is this going up Ann Street? If so the far left lane will take you up onto the Story Bridge..or am I lost?)

The left turn into Edward Street can be awkward because there is a bus lane there as well (Far left Lane). You can only start to turn into the bus lane about 20-30 meters before the corner of Ann and Edward Street. Beware of busses and other motorists as they like to jump in early at a red light and it can be difficult to merge into the lane. I have highlighted this area as a potential bottle neck area to Queensland Police so don’t go jumping into the bus lane too early ;) ;)

On Edward Street there will only be 2 lanes to travel in, the rest will be taken up with parking, again stick to the left lane. From here we will veer our way around to the right and the botanic gardens will be on the left.

For those attending the BBQ or heading home on the Southside stick to this lane and it will take you onto the Riverside Expressway heading south.

For those on the Northside they will have to start to get into the right lane which will take you north along the Riverside Expressway where you can head up Hail Street or Inner-city bypass heading east.

For those attending the BBQ take the first exit (Vulture St) after entering the River side Express way from the left lane again. From this lane you will need to merge left into the next lane over the next 300m (Can be a little tricky) There aren’t any events on at the Gabba that I’m aware of so there shouldn’t be a lot of traffic around the Gabba. From here you will need to turn left at the Mobile service station into Wellington Road and then left ( I think that should "turn right" Damo) onto Shafston Avenue where this road will turn into Wynnum Road. Take the left into Junction Road before the Caltex Service station at Morningside, head along Junction Road and straight through the roundabout onto Colmslie Road.

The complete route (to BBQ point) took me 35mins to complete today with around half the traffic expected on Saturday and not towing a boat, therfore it'll probably take over an hour on Saturday so please be patient and courteous to others when travelling along the route.

Those that have UHFs we will be on 28.

PS: On Monday after final discussions i'll post up the general conditions of the permit issued by Queensland Police which must be adhered too without exception. :)
.................................................. ...............

Black_Rat
22-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Cheers Greg amended.

If your in the left lane going passed Eagers stick to it, another 4th lane on the left will appear just after the dealership which is the one that will lead you onto the Story Bridge.

Again if anyone who is after a PDF file of the route map and attending send me a PM with your email address. The file is too big to host on AF.

harry_h01
23-02-2009, 11:12 AM
It is official
We go to the polls on 21st Mar 2009
So this weekend will have a huge impact.

Harry

Blueroo
23-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Made a couple of tasteful posters for the forbie advertising the rally and pointing people to the SOBA site for details.
Hopefully fellow fishing people stuck in the traffic going to and from work will take some notice and join in.
It all helps.
See you all there on Saturday.
Cheers
Stue

Black_Rat
24-02-2009, 07:25 PM
After exposure on Nuggets Fishing show a few Sundays ago a little birdie tells me there will be more exposure tommorow morning between 7:30am - 8:00am for SOBA and the rally on Nova 106.9 FM ;D

Black_Rat
24-02-2009, 07:59 PM
All,

I have attached the relevant Terms and Conditions of the rally Permit that pertain to participants of the rally. These are the T&Cs set by QP and must be adhered too. :)

We sould also:
Keep placards and banners to a tasteful manner.
Keep the public on side.
Obey all traffic rules at all times.
Be patient with other road users and pedstrians when traveling through the city, Give Way if need be.
Be patient and not enter a blocked intersection (lights change quickly in the city).
Be understanding that not everyone will agree with what we are trying to achieve.
Be proud of who/what you are representing, the health and fishing sustainability of Moreton Bay.
Above all enjoy the rally ;)

Damo.

If the orginisers, marshalls or QP believe people are acting outside the T&Cs set down or are acting contrary the the aim of the rally they will be asked to leave the rally.

castlemaine
24-02-2009, 09:06 PM
All,

I have attached the relevant Terms and Conditions of the rally Permit that pertain to participants of the rally. These are the T&Cs set by QP and must be adhered too. :)

We sould also:
Keep placards and banners to a tasteful manner.
Keep the public on side.
Obey all traffic rules at all times.
Be patient with other road users and pedstrians when traveling through the city, Give Way if need be.
Be patient and not enter a blocked intersection (lights change quickly in the city).
Be understanding that not everyone will agree with what we are trying to achieve.
Be proud of who/what you are representing, the health and fishing sustainability of Moreton Bay.
Above all enjoy the rally ;)

Damo.

If the orginisers, marshalls or QP believe people are acting outside the T&Cs set down or are acting contrary the the aim of the rally they will be asked to leave the rally.

Damo
Great thanks to you, for all your time and effort in organising this.
Cheers8-)

Lazybugger
25-02-2009, 07:09 AM
Marto on tripleM is apparently running for Anna's seat & is looking for policies on the tripm website. I've sent a suggestion in about removing the politically motivated no-fishing zones. Perhaps if a few more mention it there might be some air time on Triple M too.

http://www.triplem.com.au/brisbane/shows/thecage/blog/suggest-policies-for-marto/20090224-2w7o.html

TimiBoy
25-02-2009, 07:23 AM
Done, wrote to Marto. If enough people do this, he'll sniff up a story!

Cheers,

Tim

TimiBoy
25-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Anyone hear Chris on Nova? Well done Mate!

I'm waiting in the queue to have a go too!

BOLTAR$E was appalling. He knows it's a crap argument, he knows he's wrong.

I don't normally listen to it, but a Mate rang me and gave me the heads up about the "great debate".

Cheers,

Tim

harry_h01
25-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I listened in, and tried to call in, but was told they were only taking 5 callers max.

Chris did well, and the young lady who was asking the blonde questions needed to listen to what Chris had to say before opening her mouth.

Harry

Chris Ryan
25-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks guys. Meshel is a proud greenie and has strong views on a lot of subjects and that's cool. Simon saying that 15% of the dredging area is not seagrass is something I didn't get a chance to refute, but on the whole getting 2 minutes of mainstream FM radio on the biggest show in Brisbane is worth a hell of a lot. Even if we only get 5 more in the protest, it was a success.

Chris

TimiBoy
25-02-2009, 08:43 AM
If I ever get the chance, I will ask Simon:

"Simon, tell me, why is it you are not focussed on dredging, siltation, habitat degradation?"

After he answers;

"Simon, it's interesting that you don't mention that you are funded by The Brisbane Port Authority, one of the BIG polluters; or that you are funded by Green groups that are funded by Eco Tour Businesses, who want to be able to access the Green Zones?"

He has no credibility, and he needs to be exposed.

Cheers,

Tim

Chris Ryan
25-02-2009, 10:09 AM
Well by taking away the arguement and getting fisho's on the front foot caring about those things Timi, he and the others don't have a lot to complain about and it will start showing that they just want fishing to stop.

Cheers,
Chris

dogsbody
25-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Well done Chris,,I think you came across well on the ole wireless and put the issue out there to a whole lot more ears.

Dave

Chris Ryan
25-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Thanks Dave, I appreciate that.

The key to things in my book is education. Education of the public to understanding who we really are as a group and that we are really conservationalists, ultimately this is our main aim. We are not the nasty catch & kill mentaility of years past so please stop calling us redneck hicks. So if this morning changed some of the minds of the 16-39 demographic that show aims at to understand a little better, then it was more than merely successful.

Cheers,
Chris

Tangles
25-02-2009, 02:57 PM
AIRPORT 2nd Runway, How to win a Tourism Award
Chris great to see something about the sea-grass with the airports in the media, that point plus how to dispose of the contaminated dredging soil serves to illustrate the politicization of the debate regarding moreton bay being placed solely on the shoulders of fishing by the Government and Green movements.

As we know, its an urbanization and development issue, but who can blame the government or greenies for going for the easiest target ie fishermen and conveniently ignoring facts.

The 15% seagrass dredged as fill isnt the only environmental airport disaster affecting the bay! The 2nd airport didnt need to be built where it is 2 kilometers apart from the original one. The minimum requirement is 1500 metres apart and the original designs placing the runway reflected that but that changed.

The creek didnt need to be filled in and 200 ha of breeding mangroves removed if the original plans of separating the runways where followed. There where plans showing a 2nd runway happily next to the existing one with the mangroves, wetland and creek all untouched.

BUT of course well, all those bigger and better new duty free shops need to go somewhere, so the creek and mangroves went. In the plan they are nicely called Domestic terminal facilities and the BAC argued it was safer having the 2 runways so far apart, bye bye creek and mangroves.

Follow the money: but it is rather convenient isn't it that that 200 ha of undevelopable breeding mangroves and wetlands are to make way for the runway which didnt have to be built where it was.

But we should be grateful as we now a the Airports Biodiversity Zone built for us, all 285 hectares of it and the remaining birds are classified as safe to be around airports, id say lucky for them they werent deemed to be unsafe.. not bad in return for trashing 200 hectares of breeding mangroves and wetlands, we win dont we by and extra 85 hectares, deal of the century?

Follow the money, the BAC paid $1.3 billion dollars for a 99 year lease for the Airport and not one development plan has been rejected, in fact for the efforts of hoodwinking everybody the BAC won a tourism award for its successful campaign to gain the controversial 2nd runway, they recieved the award for 'Public Affairs Excellence"

SIMON BALTAIS and DREDGING
Simon has a position on dredging and seagrass. Shame he has forgotton that original position and now only seeks to stop fishing. Well we are the easiest targets. In a previous press releases on sea-grass and dredging in regard to the Gold Coast, he said

“We already know previous dredging caused major changes in tidal movement which caused a significant loss of seagrass and high levels of boating traffic is increasing turbidity, the number one killer of seagrass,” said Mr. Baltais.
According to the 1993 Study by WBM Oceanics on the Southern Moreton Bay:
“Substantial losses of seagrass occurred during and after the construction of the Gold Coast Seaway. Aerial photographs taken in 1987 show that more than 90% of the dense seagrass beds present in 1982 were lost.

How ironic he said this in the same release

“it is ironic that the Review of the Moreton Bay Marine Park Zoning Plan is taking place, yet it seems the environmental impacts of dredging, promoted by the Access Needs Study, are not even going to be considered,” said Mr. Baltais.

Well Simon seems you have forgotten your own words on the subject, maybe someone should remind him?

Remember i said no BAC development plan has been rejected, or indeed they enjoy protection of the governments, the John Anderson MP in 2002 as Minister for transport and Regional Services in a response to the BAC Airport MAster plan acknowledged the publics confusion whereas the BAC didnt have a misunderstanding as to what was in the master plan.... they amended the legislation,
: ie The Government considers that some of the public concern associated with the development of the Brisbane Airport master plan reflected a lack of understanding of the status of the master plan and its relationship to major developments on airport, such as the proposed new runway. Accordingly, the Government will prepare an amendment to the legislation to clarify the relationship between airport master plans and major development plans.

Funny that the legislation was amended but the public still misunderstood, and of course when it came to public consultation well, the MP acknowledged that the public should be consulted and was entitled to make its o pinions known, but:

The Government is conscious of the costs that would arise from a highly prescriptive regulatory process covering the level, means and detail of public consultation to be undertaken and the depth and level of associated information disclosure. Moreover, stakeholders are likely to have different levels of knowledge on, and expectations about, these matters and this in itself can give rise to different impressions of how well consultation has been undertaken

Ah well so much for public consultation then and of course the out is the final sentence, consultation means different things to different people..all very good politics

IE
1: They destroy 200ha of breeding mangroves and wetlands and a creek
2: they replace it a 285ha conservation zone with airport safe birds?
3: they win the Tourism Award for a successful campaign over the 2nd runway
4: They dredged the banks before, they do it again, who cares about the seagrass
5: Simon knows dredging affects the Bay but blames Fishos,
6: The Govt, well we consulted you even if you completely misunderstood everything

I need a cuppa now... phew...

sorry for the long read.

Chris Ryan
25-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for that post mate. I was annoyed I didn't get a rebuttal on the seagrass % mentioned this morning on radio, but 15% of the dredged area is seagrass. Simon wouldn't dare go against the Airport, the Port of Brisbane is one of the major shareholders and the Port of Brisbane sponsor Seagrass Watch with, you guessed it, Simon at the pointy end.

It all goes in circles doesn't it; and they all have money clearly in the equation as the big denominator!

Cheers,
Chris

Black_Rat
25-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Top stuff Chris you won that one hands down ! ;D

I was surprised when Meshel came straight out with the 15% of seagrass to be lost to dreding question ! ;D Stumped Simon straight away and he moved on pretty quick to another subject ::)

Great to see the NOVA boys arching up over the nursery issue as being the starting point of the problem not the end user, Rec fisherman ;D

Damo.

PinHead
25-02-2009, 06:51 PM
do a search on Simon Everywhere..the bloke is in every bloody green group on the planet..he seems to make a living from these groups..more like a parasite than someone with some positive input into society. Perhaps Simon you may be able to orchestrate things like that lil ol' election in Victoria you were part of.

I was heading to a job site this morning..the mobile rings..an AF member..quick turn the radio to whatever station it was..first i hear Chris..top effort then the tones of one Simon Baltais...I had not even had smoko and i was feeling nauseous..Now here is something..Simon said it was about protecting the biodiversity and the FISH. Amazing..when I had the meeting with Peter Shooter from the EPA my first question was.."are these green zones about protecting the fish or the seabeds. Mr Shooter's response.."It has nothing to do with the fish only the seabed". Well there ya go Simon..you don't even know what your beloved EPA are on about...typical.

Tangles
25-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Quite right Greg and Simon is certainly a busy boy, apart from being president on most green organisations ( whether how big or small) he is also MC and driving this, check out

http://www.greenfest.com.au

The theme is community warmth can cool the planet? wish it was so easy as that but its presented by the BCC and the sponsors are QLD GOVT, Channel 7, b105, Triple M

there is even a green career show?

I wonder if they would let a SOBA take an exhibit??? praising the benefits of organic natural australian fish, anyone donate recycled organic beer?

Tangles
25-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Ah yeah, forgot to add this, this is Simon with Paul Finn ( Griffith Uni) locating new areas of sea-grass promoted by a dive site , the bloke is everywhere, very scientific??

http://www.goldcoastscubadiving.com/index.asp?PageID=animal&NextType=latest&CritterID=1194

PS seagrass is sponsored again by QLD Govt/EPA/Parks and Wildlife and Primary Industries..Healthy Waterways QLD ..... SEQ Catchments.. Port of Brisbane.....Tangalooma....Sea Stradbroke..... then of course the associatins Simon is head of recieving incidentally funds from the QLD Govt, ie QLD Conservation Society/ Wildlife Preservation Society of Qld

Of great interest of the scientific method Seagrass used to monitor Seagrass, has to be said a bit more scientific than Simons but well you be the judge; see p4

http://www.seagrasswatch.org/Newsletters/misc_newsletters/SWMB/swmb_dec07.pdf

I loved the note on "other organisms" if you know what it is write it down ? and warns against rounding percentages down to the nearest 5% geez

Tangles
25-02-2009, 07:53 PM
A likely lot of scientists:

A bunch of Seagrass Field exercise participants at Currumbin again on the dive site: they are getting their feet dirty and hope they have read their instructions... say no more

EDIT: forgot to mention they all do a lot of walking on the sea-grass???

Chris Ryan
25-02-2009, 07:59 PM
If anyone wants an edited version of the Nova segment, I have it now up on the SOBA website. I need to put the links on the webpage itself, but if you go to http://www.saveourbay.org.au/Nova250209.mp3 it will play.

Cheers,
Chris

Lucky_Phill
25-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Simon Baltais

Position:
Secretary, Queensland Conservation Council
Simon works for two of Queensland’s leading Non Government environmental groups, he is secretary for the Queensland Conservation Council and president for the Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland, both organisations focus on biodiversity.

Craig Bohm, Australian Marine Conservation Society - 0427 133 481
Simon Baltais – Queensland Conservation Council - 0412 075 334

(http://www.marineconservation.org.au/moretonbay)
The ferrets are on face book if anyone is interested in that ....;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-Marine-Conservation-Society/44295826958

Lizard Man
25-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I'll be there. I don't own a boat anymore thanks to thieves, but will still be part of the convoy. We must protect our rights and make our presence felt in a cordial manner. I hope to see hundreds, if not thousands of people there. If we don't turn up, no one will know about this and further closures in future will be the result. You all fish, and those of you over 18 all VOTE. So make sure you also send a message to the big wigs on George Street on march 21. It's bad enough that the current state governement has stuffed or neglected our roads, hospitals, water supply(so now your green neighbours ring the local council when you're washing down the boat), and put us into $76 BILLION dollars debt(just Qld). Now they're treating us like mugs and sh#*ting on us from above, taking away something that we all love and enjoy. Our fishing.>:(

P.S. BlackRat - for those of us driving cars without boats behind, should we have a rod or two on the roof racks, rod holders, or poking out the back window slightly...to show we are fishermen and part of the convoy, or would it not be a good look?

Black_Rat
25-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Lizard Man,

Any rods should be stowed in rod holders on a bullbar or on roof racks. Avoid having them sticking out the windows. We will be driving with headlights on and have streamers available for cars not towing boats. See ya at the rally.

Damo

Blueroo
25-02-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Damo,
Was there a list of recommended slogans around somewhere. Ive searched high and low but can no find them.
Cheers
Stue

Black_Rat
25-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Try here

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=143743

I'll have these on the day as well

Damo.

Lucky_Phill
25-02-2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=143743

it should be here.

Phill

Lucky_Phill
26-02-2009, 02:23 PM
Update:-

For those that have a UHF, we'll be using channel 28

The BBQ will be held in the park at Colmslie Rd, Colmslie.

Parking on Lytton Road and Colmslie RD is available.

byo chairs................

Further, I will have available, the NEW fishing regulation booklets. See me near the food to get your copy. The NEW regs come in on the 1st of March as well.

cheers Phill

TimiBoy
26-02-2009, 03:47 PM
See me near the food
cheers Phill

Of course. Where else would you be???

Cheers,

Tim

Black_Rat
26-02-2009, 08:39 PM
There is ample parking within 100m either side of the BBQ point and on both side of the road.

Chris Ryan
27-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Got some more media coming on this tonight on the Ch10 news - First at Five.

agroace16
27-02-2009, 10:53 AM
i appreciate and understand your cause and concern but everytime I try to view a thread this post comes up and is making use of the website painfully annoying. Cant be bothered viewing what i was trying to now. Good luck with the rally though..

TheRealAndy
27-02-2009, 11:01 AM
i appreciate and understand your cause and concern but everytime I try to view a thread this post comes up and is making use of the website painfully annoying. Cant be bothered viewing what i was trying to now. Good luck with the rally though..

If you are coming into the site via a shortcut, then hit refresh and create a new shortcut.

dnej
27-02-2009, 07:12 PM
For those going, you may find out at the Barby, how you could fish in a green zone. Cany say any more at this stage.
David

therapy
28-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Was planning to be there but the Missus has smashed the front end of the commodore up so no tow vehicle!! The missus is ok which is the main thing I suppose but now have no wheels!!! Anyone going that lives near Deagon please call me on 0411 026127. If I don't make it good luck to all attendees and let's hope our voice is heard.
Cheers..........Terry.............

Black_Rat
28-02-2009, 07:36 AM
See ya soon Terry ;)

therapy
28-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks to Black Rat I will be there. See you all on the road.
Cheers....Terry....

Ally Jack
28-02-2009, 07:49 AM
Lads,

Good luck with the rally today and I hope your voices are heard and some changes are made.
I grew up fishing for whiting off beachmere with my father, some of the best fishing trips i'll remember.
I'd be there today but living 6hrs north now and working today doesn't make it possible.

Ally Jack

Bad_Bazza
28-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Sorry I have just got back from a trip and am now just reading this, to late to paricipate (8.55 am Sat) but I offer my full support to those participating.

Bad_Bazza

TimiBoy
28-02-2009, 02:50 PM
A few pics of a really successful rally!!!

Cheers,

Tim

Blueroo
28-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Here's a few more pics.
A great day out.
Thanks for the barby guy's. It was fantastic.
Cheers
Stue

Forgot to say thanks to the organisers of the rally.
A really HUGE well done and thank you! You put in a great effort.

Marlin_Mike
28-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Just watched Ten news at 5pm. Only thing I saw was Laurence Springborg doing the "hows it going catching anything?" rounds at Wello Pt Jetty earlier today.

Mike

Marlin_Mike
28-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Well got a look at the rally just now on 9 News.

Chris got a few words in, so did ol' Lucky Phil and Brooke.

Looked a good roll up, well done to all.

Mike

Chris Ryan
28-02-2009, 06:10 PM
geez I have a head for radio! I really am not the media type, but it gets our story across.

Thanks for the support Mike.

TimiBoy
28-02-2009, 06:19 PM
7 and 9 gave it a go, but 9 got the gong, I reckon.

Chris lamenting the pollution, then

"These Fishermen are not against Green Zones" So true!!! Backed up by the dulcet tones of Lucky Phill.

Alison, I love you. Just don't tell Mumsy!

Cheers,

Tim

dogsbody
28-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Good to see the message got out there. Pity they did'nt have that other pollie that was at the BBQ on there. He speaks with more conviction than the dull tones of Springborg.

Big thanks to those who organised the rally and thanks to all who joined in the drive. Kudos to all.

Dave

PinHead
28-02-2009, 06:34 PM
and a thanks to those important people that were involved...the sausages were yummy..thanks.

Angla
28-02-2009, 06:36 PM
I watched 10 then 7 and missed the story on 9. Damn. Tail end charlie was a pretty good spot to be with no hassles from traffic at all. Just a little slow going at times.

I didn't realise the gateway is Etoll only now and had to return through the city which was terrible from the Storey Bridge till past the Royal Hospital.

The sausages were cooked well and thanks to all that put on the BBQ and organised the day. I hope the promises from the pollies will eventuate into real policies and proper management of the Bay and its water quality.

Chris

catfishkid
28-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I missed channel 10 but I did catch 7 & 9,I thought we got some excellent coverage being,Top effort to damien for being so involved in the organisation for today,chris and phil both very well spoken, and everyone else who helped out and turned up for what was a great day thankyou very much.here are a few more pics.

Cheers Craig

Lizard Man
28-02-2009, 06:40 PM
It felt kind of good driving down Edward Street and looking in the rear vision mirror and seeing boat after boat come round the corner and down the hill. Would've liked to see more though. Well done to everyone who made the effort to turn up. At least we got a few cameras out there and got a few people taking a look. The LNP seem to have gotten the message. But we'll need to hold them to it if they get in. I don't trust pollies as far as I can throw one of those damn squidgy resin heads. So we need more letters and emails to your local members or candidates asking about what is being done. This should let them know today wasn't a fizzer and we won't go away.

Thanks Terry and all others associated with organising this event.

TimiBoy
28-02-2009, 06:45 PM
We should all take time to thank

- Damo, alias Black Rat, for his tireless efforts putting this together.
- Chris Ryan, for stirring up the connections, getting the press involved, and providing great leadership.
- all the boys on the BBQ.
- Phill for good info, tables, BBQ, and tying so much together.
- Those who got the placards organised.
- All who turned up, behaved well, and made it a success.
- All who've harrassed and harangued the LNP to get this issue to the top of the heap.
- All who couldn't make it but supplied their encouragement nonetheless.
- The Police who helped us out.
- Anyone else I've forgotten!

Cheers,

Tim

mowerman
28-02-2009, 07:10 PM
A good 2 spots for Chris's ugly mug on the ABC news.

Good one mate.

Rod

catfishkid
28-02-2009, 07:29 PM
We should all take time to thank

- Damo, alias Black Rat, for his tireless efforts putting this together.
- Chris Ryan, for stirring up the connections, getting the press involved, and providing great leadership.
- all the boys on the BBQ.
- Phill for good info, tables, BBQ, and tying so much together.
- Those who got the placards organised.
- All who turned up, behaved well, and made it a success.
- All who've harrassed and harangued the LNP to get this issue to the top of the heap.
- All who couldn't make it but supplied their encouragement nonetheless.
- The Police who helped us out.
- Anyone else I've forgotten!

Cheers,

Tim

Tim I can only come up with two more.
1 george Lang from BAILEY ROAD HOT BREAD at Deception Bay for donating the bread for our BBQ.George wishes he could have been there but when you run a small bussiness these days you just cant be everywhere.Thanks george.
2.Steve/AUSFISH from allowing us to use his forum to actively promote our cause.

Any more???

Cheers Craig

Eileen
28-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I thought it was a very well run and organised rally and I was proud to be a part of it.
If I may I would like to pose a question.

Where were all the fishing industry people. The owners and their staff who need the fisher people to sustain their businesses. I don't understand why the likes of Springwood Marine, BCF, Northside Marine, Leasure Marine, Crew Marine, Alvey Reels, BLA , RWB, etc, etc, etc weren't there. Surely they would want more people to be involved in fishing and not make it harder for the fisher person to enjoy their sport.
Maybe they were there, I am happy to be corrected!!

Ausfish
28-02-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks to all that were there and all those that spent counless hours organising it.

We can make a difference

We are not beer drinking drongos as depicted in all the TV ads.

catfishkid
28-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I did notice in the Borg interview on nine there was a tinny in the background on the water that looked to have a big blue ausfish sticker???

Cheers Craig

dnej
28-02-2009, 08:01 PM
There you go dogsbody.
David

Gibson, David Francis
http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/view/legislativeAssembly/documents/memberBio/memberImage/GibsonDavid.jpg Last Updated: 18 September 2008
Electorate
gympie View : Electorate Map (http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/view/legislativeAssembly/documents/memberBio/electorateMap/gympie.pdf) >>

Party LIBERAL NATIONAL PARTY (LNP) 9 SEPTEMBER 2008
national Party (npa) 9 SEPTEMBER 2006 – 9 SEPTEMBER 2008
Date of Election : 9 September 2006 View : Speeches by David Gibson (javascript:SearchSpeeches('spk /-4,+0/ David Gibson')) >>
View : Inaugural Speech (http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/view/legislativeAssembly/documents/memberBio/InauguralSpeech/Gibson.PDF) >>

Parliamentary Service
Shadow Minister for Sustainable Environment and Climate Change and Shadow Minister for Clean Energy Strategy from 12 August 2008. Member, Estimates Committee F, 2008. Member, Speaker’s Advisory Committee from 26 February 2008. Shadow Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation 29 January 2008 – 12 August 2008. Campaign Spokesman from 29 January 2008. Member, Public Accounts Committee from 11 October 2006.Shadow Parliamentary Secretary to Shadow Minister for Infrastructure. Shadow Minister for State Development, Shadow Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations 21 September 2006 - 29 January 2008.
Current Parliamentary service is highlighted in green.
Military Service
Captain, Australian Army
Personal
Born Fremantle, Western Australia, 13 October 1967. Married, three children. Education - Graduate, Royal Military College, Duntroon (ACT). Prior to election - General Manager, The Gympie Times Pty Ltd; Army Officer. Interests - Family, Reading.

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/members/view/legislativeAssembly/images/common/onebyone.gif

TimiBoy
28-02-2009, 08:21 PM
I did notice in the Borg interview on nine there was a tinny in the background on the water that looked to have a big blue ausfish sticker???

Cheers Craig

LOL, woe betide the fisho who puts up a report about how badly they went on the Bay today!

NO SYMPATHY!!!!

I should also have thanked Joe, AKA Oldboot, for his high quality marshalling this morning. Seeing him driving up Lavarack Avenue at 9:40 in his ute with 8 or ten cars behind him (and a bloody huge grin on his face!!!) warmed my heart! And stalking about with rod in hand and the fluoro vest, the man WAS the part!

Cheers,

Tim

therapy
28-02-2009, 08:29 PM
A big thanks to Damian for giving me a ride today. I do appreciate it my newly acquired friend. Although we were at the front of the rally, I'm sure it had some effect on the people following and watching from the sideline's. Good to meet you Timi Boy,Rakinray an all the others(I was the bloke handing out route map's/terms and conditions and change at the bar-b -q). Power to the people and we are the f***ing people!!!!!! Kudo's my fellow Ausfisher's. Maintain the rage and if the LNP get in don't let them forget the promises they made............
Cheers.........Terry...............
ps,,, Damian should have a heap of photo's to post(cause I took plenty) so get to it mate!!!
Cheers...........Terry................

webby
28-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I dont want to be pessimistic, and i no you no him well David DNEJ, (David Gibson) that is.
But up until a week or so ago, the LNP had no Policies/Agenda's or Intentions out lined on Recreational/Commerical Fishing/Green Zones etc in regards to Moreton Bay.
I no his speech today regarding their review and getting scientific evidence on the green zones, put a smile/grin on most there.
But was it all election talk to swing the fishing votes, or are we to help put the LNP into power and see if there talk is all true.
As there are bigger things on the agenda from both parties that effects a lot more then the minority votes from fishers in swinging the election votes.
Time to sit and ponder ???????

Angryant
28-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I dont want to be pessimistic, and i no you no him well David DNEJ, (David Gibson) that is.
But up until a week or so ago, the LNP had no Policies/Agenda's or Intentions out lined on Recreational/Commerical Fishing/Green Zones etc in regards to Moreton Bay.
I no his speech today regarding their review and getting scientific evidence on the green zones, put a smile/grin on most there.
But was it all election talk to swing the fishing votes, or are we to help put the LNP into power and see if there talk is all true.
As there are bigger things on the agenda from both parties that effects a lot more then the minority votes from fishers in swinging the election votes.
Time to sit and ponder ???????

Maybe, just maybe, the LNP did had the policy finalised but waited until the election was called to release their intentions. Just a thought!!!!

Andrew

Lucky_Phill
28-02-2009, 08:57 PM
I thought it was a very well run and organised rally and I was proud to be a part of it.
If I may I would like to pose a question.

Where were all the fishing industry people. The owners and their staff who need the fisher people to sustain their businesses. I don't understand why the likes of Springwood Marine, BCF, Northside Marine, Leasure Marine, Crew Marine, Alvey Reels, BLA , etc, etc, etc weren't there. Surely they would want more people to be involved in fishing and not make it harder for the fisher person to enjoy their sport.
Maybe they were there, I am happy to be corrected!!

Well Eileen, the only representative there was Crawford marine as far as i could tell.

I cannot speak on the others behalf, but most of who you mentioned would be a supporter / sponsor of the MBAA, and I suppose they feel they are represented by them.

SOBA is the recreational fishermens voice etc......... but in saying that, I get your point.

With the election is full swing, the candidates will be kissing babies and and offering bags of gold for your vote.

We will remain focused and vocal and we will achieve our goals.

Thanks for turning up with Yak on top. ;D

Phill

therapy
28-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Well someone's gotta play devils advocate Webby and it might as well be you!! Your right though, how much can be taken at face value as fact and how much is propaganda to tilt your vote?? A policy formulated in a week or so (maybe it was being discussed for longer?!) and projected to us today.... I hope everything he said was gospel.... I don't trust any of the bastards at the moment but you have to vote for someone..... Maybe fisher folk should declare their own state/territory. Born and bred here but time's they are a changing.................
Cheers.......Terry..........

mod5
28-02-2009, 09:38 PM
LOL, woe betide the fisho who puts up a report about how badly they went on the Bay today!

NO SYMPATHY!!!!

I need to make this known quite clearly.

Members of the forum who harass other members for posting fishing reports will incur infractions and may be banned from the site.

There have already been a number of members dealt with in this way.

Members should be permitted to post fishing reports without harassment.

TimiBoy
28-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I need to make this known quite clearly.

Members of the forum who harass other members for posting fishing reports will incur infractions and may be banned from the site.

There have already been a number of members dealt with in this way.

Members should be permitted to post fishing reports without harassment.

Couldn't agree more. I did preface my comment with "LOL"! ;D;D;D

Webby, you're right. As I stood, listened, and applauded, I thought to myself "Mate, you'd better come through or we will nail you oh so very hard, right in the keester." We will need to keep the bastards honest (though I never was a Democrat, thanks for that one Don.)

If they are blowing the sunshine, by the next election we will be, well, quite a sizeable force, and we will deliver as they have delivered, in kind.

Cheers,

Tim

Blueroo
28-02-2009, 09:54 PM
This is but the start.
Yeah I know we have had other rallies. The thing is, each rally makes us smarter and bigger.
We have a very strong foundation to build on and we need to be out there at every event that involves fishing.
Lets get on with it and get the job done.
Remember the fishing persons motto " NEVER GIVE UP"

Cheers
Stue.

levinge
28-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Guys I honestly wouldn't believe a thing these pollies are saying, as others have said, they'll buy your vote and do the backflip on their promises as soon as they are in power.

"Ultimate power corrupts ultimately"

As for Borgs comment on spending 3 mill on research, the research is already there and we all know its not the Commercial or Rec fisho's killing your bay, its the pollution being put in the bay by Government subsides companies pumping all their crap into the system.

I think they'll back flip on the green zone 1 line per person also.

Be a first if he followed through!!!

CreelReaper
28-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Levinge, you are probably right about the pollies mate but labour and the greens will not fix the problem. That only leaves LNP as our only hope.
As for the research I have found that the pilot studies and terms of reference for a lot of the 'science' already used by EPA etc is now being looked at by CSIRO. The reason being is that it is flawed. You will most probably find that the only outcome of each of the research projects had already been decided eons ago but just needed the tiniest bit of cred to be passed by the government.
There is a huge amount of 'other research' out there that disproves the common theories but would not or most likely never be used.

Shane

TheRealAndy
01-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Whilst I know its just election rubbish, the fact that the LNP exposed the lies regarding the science of moreton bay almost wins me over. What I would like to see is the response from marine scientist that (i forget the name) analysed the documents, becuase without that then as far as i know the LNP is probably telling lies. However, it does raise the point to the general public which is very good.

BTW. Despite what has been said, a PhD student doing a thesis paper is still very relevant research. How relevant depends on exactly what the research topic was and how it came about. If they are just compiling a whole bunch of published papers with no field work then one has to question the credibility. Why dont they just make it available to the public??

I still think the fact that the LNP acknowledging recreational fishing and boating is a good thing. They will be getting my vote. I dont like the borg, but I hate bligh even more. So its a better of 2 evils I guess.

dnej
01-03-2009, 07:26 AM
Webby,
I agree with you , based on the politics of the past.
However, David Gibson, has been battling with the project, since the last boat rally on the river. He does his homework.

This is not just because of the election, he really believes that the way labor went about the zones, was wrong.
Its hard to find a genuine bloke, but this guy appears to be just that. We will have to wait and see, the result.

At least we have someone , already in position, to give it a shot.
David

Ausfish
01-03-2009, 09:55 AM
Great to see fishing on the front page of the Sunday mail, and on page 3 and on page 8.

Bye Bi Anna Bligh

rakinray
01-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey guys i think that what we acheived yesterday was what we have been trying to do since this whole thing was started, and that is get someone to listen ! Im not a lover of the LNP but if the average Joe is going to to get a go then im in ! It carnt be any worse than what the Labour mob have given us >:( ZIP ! Even if we only get the boat ramp up-grades we all win !;D We must keep the pressure on them to make sure they stick to their promises. Use your vote as your tool to make a difference.

CHEERS RAY PS. Thanks to all that done the hard yards and everyone that participated.

Black_Rat
01-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Well where do I start?

A genuine thanks to the following people:

Too Steve and Ausfish who without this forum we would struggle to get SOBAs message “out there”. :) I sincerely thankyou for the privilage to promote the rally on Ausfish.

Too the SOBA community and for everyone that spent the time to promote the rally, especially giving up your time to hand out flyers at ramps as you watched people launch for a days fishing.

Too Merv and Carl from ECOfishers NSW who made the trip from NSW to be at the rally.

Too the Queensland Police who help us with the rally.

Too Chris Ryan who has a mug for radio :P but is prepared to stand up in front of the camera. Chris we appreciate the sacrifices you have made in the past and continue to do so for the sake of the SOBA and Moreton Bay. Chris has been passionate in perusing politicians, media and exposure for the rally with exceptional results ! Don’t underestimate Chris’s work to get 4BC, NOVA 106.9FM, Chanel 10, 9, 7 and ABC news involved with this rally. A bloody awsome result ! Kudos to you !

Too David Gibson (Shadow Minister for Sustainable Environment and Climate Change LNP) for making the journey to the BBQ and for pressuring the current government into making available the documents these zonings have been based on. Probably the most significant moment of the rally in my humble opinion ! Out of 109 documents delivered to the LNP and reviewed independantly via a LNP appointed Marine Biologist, was it 1 that did have credit based on a thesis conducted by a Uni Student :o ? If only that talk was available to the pubic to hear ! :o

Too Ivan for getting John Crawford Marine on board to promote the rally and attend as well.

Too George Lang from BAILEY ROAD HOT BREAD at Deception Bay for donating the bread for the rally.

Too Therapy (Terry) who I had known and picked up 30mins before the rally for handing out the T&Cs at the muster point. Happy B’day by the way ! :bdaycake: ;D
Too the guys that cooked the BBQ at the rally. Too our lone marshall Old_Boot, thanks Joe !

And last but not least too the people who gave up there Saturday on what was a gorgeous day boating wise. It’s with your support that we will make a difference and continue to move forward :) The swell is starting to pick up !

This is but another step towards a bigger and louder voice for all recreation anglers !

Damo.

PS: Apologies too anyone I've forgotten to mention :-/

Jeremy
01-03-2009, 12:03 PM
BTW. Despite what has been said, a PhD student doing a thesis paper is still very relevant research. How relevant depends on exactly what the research topic was and how it came about. If they are just compiling a whole bunch of published papers with no field work then one has to question the credibility. Why dont they just make it available to the public??

The real merit of a PhD depends on how the study was done (methods) and the publishing of the results of the research in peer revewed scientific journals (I should know, I have done one).

I believe this PhD concerns tripcony bight, and the concerns over the methods are the selection of appropriate controls and sufficient replication......and to the best of my knowledge it has not made it to any journals!

Jeremy

dnej
01-03-2009, 01:47 PM
And who was the little short guy that got David Gibson to the rally. Cant think of his name.It will come to me( LOL)
David

castlemaine
01-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Damo
Hear, hear!
What a great group of people that gave away a day and were in it not political reasons but to save jobs (John Crawford Marine) and to save their lifestyle from a politically motivated decision on Green Zones.
I'd like to thank my wife that filled in for me at work so I could attend, my two teenage daughters who saw this as important enough issue to give up their Saturday morning sleep-in to come down to the protest and my mate Graham who gave up his little but precious time (he's been away from home since Christmas, working) to come down to the rally.
I know many were there in spirit but could not attend.
LNP have stated that they will look after our interest (yes, remains to be seen) but Anna said that we're about to 'strip away Moreton Bay's precious resources'. Labour is not going to give in on this one, so I know where my vote is going, and it's just not only on the fishing front (health, roads, etc).
Cheers8-)

TheRealAndy
01-03-2009, 05:03 PM
I think a big thanks must go to the big fella himself, Damo. Without him this rally may not have happened. Keep up the good work Damo.

Black_Rat
01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Footage at Wellington point www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=146282&feature=player_embedded (http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?t=146282&feature=player_embedded)

Did anyone capture David Gibson on video at the bbq rally ? He is the gentleman to the left of Mr Springborg.

Chris Ryan
01-03-2009, 07:56 PM
As a guy who admits he was on the side wondering what would happen, to the passionate activist you see before you, I am proud to have him on my/our side. You are a legend mate and the effort you have put into this is one many should admire. It is a huge job.

We make an awsome front row too, he was a loose head and I was a tight prop in Rugby Union,..........I would have hated to pack down against us mate!!! Thanks for the kind words too.

Chris

Poodroo
01-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Personally Damo and Chris I think you both deserve a huge pat on the back. Also to Tim. Sorry that I couldn't be there this time however. Glad it went so well. Hopefully next time it falls on a date that doesn't coincide with any of my family's birthdays.

Well done guys,

Poodroo

raffles
01-03-2009, 09:18 PM
I attended the rally on saturday but not the bbq (due to inlaws 60th wedding anniversary). I felt proud to be in a group of people who are willing to give up time (lots in some cases) to show there are people out there willing to fight for what they believe in.Thank you to all who attended.

honda900
03-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Me too, could not let it go without standing up and got my daughter who is a keen fisho to come along as well.

Still a bit disappointing, at a rough count I thought we had about 100 cars and boats, would have like to have seen 500 .

Spose the one good thing is that we got noticed and got some attention, As for the borg, well he''s at least putting a review forward, I would like to see some rec fishos have some input in to the results of the review.

Regards
HOnda

Tangles
03-03-2009, 08:43 PM
As a guy who admits he was on the side wondering what would happen, to the passionate activist you see before you, I am proud to have him on my/our side. You are a legend mate and the effort you have put into this is one many should admire. It is a huge job.

We make an awsome front row too, he was a loose head and I was a tight prop in Rugby Union,..........I would have hated to pack down against us mate!!! Thanks for the kind words too.

Chris

The big fellas did alright;D, front rows, brings back memories of Agnes

Black_Rat
03-03-2009, 09:32 PM
a few pics therapy took on the day

GCBrett
08-03-2009, 01:48 AM
Congratulations! Pat yourselves on the back - no one on this site will argue with you. I suspect most of you haven't travelled too widely to other parts of the world where the fisheries are fk-ed. What makes you think it won't happen here? Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control, because I reckon my little bloke will have a better go at fishing as he grows up. Grow a brain.

PinHead
08-03-2009, 04:36 AM
Congratulations! Pat yourselves on the back - no one on this site will argue with you. I suspect most of you haven't travelled too widely to other parts of the world where the fisheries are fk-ed. What makes you think it won't happen here? Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control, because I reckon my little bloke will have a better go at fishing as he grows up. Grow a brain.

We would all like for your little bloke to be able to catch fish when he grows up BUT:
The existing green zones are based on nothing. There was no credible research done into these closures. They are in place to meet some International convention on protection of sea bed types, bioturbated mud, bioturbated sand, sea grass and coral etc. It really has nothing to do with the fish. It is hoped they will flourish if these types of sea bed are protected.
Now regardless of the sea bed type, fish will not breed nor eat there if the water is of poor quality. The EPA has been neglectful in approaching this. Read the Healthy Waterways report and see how most of the streams running into the Bay are going backwards. The Logan and Albert Rivers especially. Perhaps you should be asking the EPA why this is happening and what they are doing about it.

The DPI is also neglectful with insufficient policing of current size and bag limits. This comes back to the Govt and insufficient funding to police these.

So you think green zones are a good idea and then just let the water quality deteroriate further..there will be no fish for your young bloke regardless of how many closures there are.

No one is against green zones but first it has to be proven that they will make a difference..no point implementing them on the precautionary principle if nothing beneficial is achieved.

We all want fish stocks to improve but it has to be achieved through correct research and implemention of the correct laws and also thorough policing of these. Anything else is just a load of political drivel.

Perhaps, your brain could be used in contacting the EPA..Peter Shooter is the man to contact and tell him of your concerns...if not your young bloke had better be good at his playstation..there won't be any point in going fishing.

TimiBoy
08-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Grow a brain.

Take your own advice. Start reading some Journals instead of Editorials.

It'll help you scoop the bad info out of your head and do something real about saving the planet.

Facts are what we need, not Green tinted fiction. The Bay waters are filthy. Bay breeding habitats are being covered in sand and dirt so your Greenie mates can live in concrete boxes with nice views. Ask your buddy Boltar$e where he gets his money?

Brisbane Port Authority? Dredging? Hmmm? Ever heard of it? No, I guess not. What about the Airport extension, and how many billions of fry will never be a twinkle in their daddy's eye now. Ever seen an aerial photo of the Bay showing the millions of tons of silt flowing out of our rivers and creeks? It is a sadly "inconvenient truth" for you. They are the killers of the Bay, and Simon has forgotten it's there. Oh, it used to be his big thing, but, well, follow his money...

Seagrass Watch. Yeah right. "I'll watch while they dig it up and give me money"

Tim

dogsbody
08-03-2009, 06:42 AM

There won't be any fish if people teach their kids to sit back and take potshots at people who want the right decisions made.

Think you need to do a bit of research mate as to what's really going on out there. And not just in the water.

Dave

Lucky_Phill
08-03-2009, 02:59 PM

First of all GCBrett, telling other members to " grow a brain ' is against the rules that you read before signing up as a member. Therefore you have incurred an " infraction. Please keep to the topic subject.

Secondly.... maybe most of us haven't been to other countries where their fisheries is ####ed as you put it. Well that may be because no one there stood up to the government and questioned their policies and provided input on the best way to manage the fishery.

The Recreational Fishoes of Queensland are doing this... standing up against for what is obviously wrong and also providing important input into the fisheries management. WE ARE NOT OTHER COUNTRIES..... but you can bet ya bottom dollar that the extreme green folk will model their outcomes on OTHER COUNTRIES.... why ? simple, because it is easy and the truth about our fishery does not sit well with them because ours IS SUSTAINABLE.

Don't believe me..... google the greens and there policies, research etc.... all from overseas models and data. humph !!!!!! Don't be fooled by what you read on the Aussie green sites.... these people are just about as good as Anna when it comes to " SPIN "...

The DPI&F are the managers of the fishery and the EPA should be taking care of the environment. The DPI&F are doing their job... the EPA are not. Facts don't lie.

The fishery is NOT in trouble but the environment that encompasses the fishery is. Fix the water ( environment, habitat and nurseries ) and the fishery will thrive.

FYI. This is fact..... we'll take the snapper fishery for instance. The qld recreational take was down about 100,000 fish over the last couple of years... why............. size & bag limits. We caught more tonnage, but less fish. The fish we put in the esky were larger... simple maths. Size limits, bag limits, seasonal closeurs and a healthy education program are doing their jobs... about time the EPA did theirs.

Phill

Luc
08-03-2009, 05:43 PM
Its a matter of population growth and lack of regulation. I'm looking forward to better control

You're right it is a matter of regulations and controls but they must be EFFECTIVE regulations and controls.

The green zones WILL NOT STOP the degradation of Moreton Bay and other locations as they do NOTHING to address pollution, destructions of breeding habitats (mangroves) and urban & industrial runoff.

How are green zones going to stop siltation and chemicals!! For all their effectivenes, you might as well put lines of beacons with signs saying 'Pollution do not enter' along the green zone boundaries.

Green zones are a cop out by governments who want to look like they're doing something but in reality:

don't want to tackle the real problems as they too hard to deal with
are more interest in sucking up to get preferences to get/stay in power
Luc