PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Barra queries

Leigh77
06-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Most, if not all, of my fishing for the past 15 years has been chasing Bass in our impoundments and my much beloved local (and not so local) rivers...In this time I have experienced a few things that never seem to happen with Barra. By all accounts Barra fishing (in impoundments) is a lot harder then chasing bass, but maybe back before the boom things like this happened...Maybe they still happen, and I have just missed them.

So what are these things?..

1) Double hookups...two guys in the boat hook at the same time. Can't say that I have ever read a report that included a double hookup.

2) 2 fish in consecutive casts...as above, can't say that I have heard of it.

Please share the details if you have experienced either of these...I could only imagine dealing with 2 big Barra in the sticks at Monduran.

Leigh.

Peter4
06-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Interesting Leigh.....by contrast I find bass fishing very difficult in comparison to barra fishing. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.....

While I have never experienced a double hook-up I have heard of quite a few and have seen the odd one on youtube......I have a vague memory of NAGG and Mighty Whitey having a double hook-up last year at Awoonga, but I could be wrong....

As far as two fish in consecutive casts go just watch the AFC series 5 at Awoonga in 2007. At the end of day one Jas Wilhelm and Carl Jocubsen score barra with consecutive casts of surface lures with only 5 minutes to go.....very exciting stuff.

Regs

Pete

themissus
06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
Great topic Leigh.
Firstly, no matter how hard I try, I can not pull a bass out of Mondy, I'm sure they're a myth::)

We've never had a double hook up, thank goodness. Watching AFC the other day I was thinking what great telly it would make though.

Two fish in two casts, I can only dream!! Our last trip we got 2 fish each in a session and that was exciting enough:D

Looking forward to reading some of the stories that come out of this thread.
Cheers Kim.

NAGG
06-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Interesting Leigh.....by contrast I find bass fishing very difficult in comparison to barra fishing. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.....

While I have never experienced a double hook-up I have heard of quite a few and have seen the odd one on youtube......I have a vague memory of NAGG and Mighty Whitey having a double hook-up last year at Awoonga, but I could be wrong....

As far as two fish in consecutive casts go just watch the AFC series 5 at Awoonga in 2007. At the end of day one Jas Wilhelm and Carl Jocubsen score barra with consecutive casts of surface lures with only 5 minutes to go.....very exciting stuff.

Regs

Pete

Yeh Pete ..... There was a double hook up at Awoonga & 2 or 3 fish on consecutive casts :P (3 x 95s & 93 in 10 mins @ Mondy) .......... but reality is , these are true golden moments:)

Chris

Awoonga
06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Yes been there done both... but only because l spend most days fishing Awoonga for Barra.... But l have never caught a Jack at Awoonga...Sometime soon maybe ?

BR65
06-02-2009, 04:42 PM
2 fish in 2 casts at Mondy early December, I dropped mine, crew boated his at high 80's if I remember right.
Im happy to see something happen once an hour at the moment, whether it be fish, swirl, short strike, what ever.

slyman
06-02-2009, 06:07 PM
I've often thought how my brother and I would deal with a double hook-up, especially if they are going off in different directions, not to mention any trees that might be chucked into the equation for good measure. Open treeless areas, no worries I reckon with the fight, but getting them into the boat? Thumb in the mouth, open bail/flick anti reverse and let out line, then cradle them in?

Our environet isn't huge and we usually do a two-person lift, which may not be an option if the other person is still dealing with his hook up. I suppose then the option could be to net the fish, open bail/flick anti reverse then let out line, and use both hands around the net rim to lift her in? Whats the best approach here? Hopefully I can put it into action this weekend at Mondy! ;D

Awoonga
06-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Nets.... cant stand em.... The Environet...better than some... the best is the new plastic type... most of the fish l catch l comfort lift them in... or better still release beside the boat...

BR65
07-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Is that the plastic mesh Trev, large holes, easier to pull thru the water if you have to "scoop" a fish?
Flippin envionets are treble magnets, I try to net my biger fish, keep the net in the water and do the de-hooking there, rather than on the boat, minimize time out of water etc, but the environets seem to entagle the trebles prety damn good.

Steve B
07-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Foxie and I had 3 hookups in the FIRST 4 casts one day, including a double hookup.....we never landed any of them!!!!!

had a few double hookups years ago trolling at Awoonga....one in particular was 2 118cm fish!!

cheers steve

Whitto
07-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Double up's were common place for me Bassin in Somerset......Not so in the Barra Dpt.....of recent times one Barra would be nice....does sitting on Mondy watching Barra tailing count as a catch......NNNnnnaaaaaa I guess not;D

Dick Pasfield
07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Had double hookups over the years and fish in consecutive casts. Its nice because the fish are pretty much in the mood. Probably happens a two or three times a year.

One of my favourite double hookups is pictured, both kids dealing with a hot bite down the Ord during the run off.

Last two fish on consecutive casts for me is pictured as well, from the night before last. The small fish closest was just over the metre:).

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/dickpasfield/Fish/1-4.jpg

http://i464.photobucket.com/albums/rr4/dickpasfield/Fish/6-1.jpg

Colo77
07-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Leigh, december last year I encountered a hot bite at my fav dam. boated 4 fish within 1/2 hour with hits on almost every cast. all rat barra, but fun just the same. This is a very welcome scenario for anyone, but this time especially after 36 hours of fishin with not more than a couple of half hearted taps/swipes.

In contrast to you (& most other barra fishos probably), I'm not from bass country but find it far easier to put bass in the boat than barra, go figure.....as Pete said, different strokes for different folks.Havn't missed on a bass trip yet. :confused:

Mike Delisser
08-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Yes been there done both... but only because l spend most days fishing Awoonga for Barra.... But l have never caught a Jack at Awoonga...Sometime soon maybe ?

I remember a double hook-up of 50cm Bass on fly Trev ;) ;D Ahh the good old days.

We catch bass on consecutive casts all the time when they're schooling (maybe even 6 or 8 in a row) but I find it hard to comprehend doing that as often with barra no matter how good the bite is. On my most recent trip to Awoonga I think there were 10,000 casts between my two fish.
Cheers
Mike

Whitto
08-02-2009, 07:35 AM
Is that the plastic mesh Trev, large holes, easier to pull thru the water if you have to "scoop" a fish?
Flippin envionets are treble magnets, I try to net my biger fish, keep the net in the water and do the de-hooking there, rather than on the boat, minimize time out of water etc, but the environets seem to entagle the trebles prety damn good.Bit of a no choice for me these days Brian....getting a bit long in the tooth to do it any other way....At the moment I use the Big Barra Environet and lip grippers and yeah they are a Trebble magnet just like anything else even to a degree the all plastic type net.....Will be closely looking at Nath's Brag mat/ support...it seems to work a treat and should be available down the track.....Cheers Whitto8-)

aussiebasser
09-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Awoonga double hook up, both 114cm. I've also had Barra, Bass and Murray Cod 2 from 2's.

BR65
09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Which leads onto a conversation I had with Nath about barra moving in pods? I wont say schools, because I dont think the dam fish congregate like that, but small groups of fish travelling together, or working available bait?

NAGG
09-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Which leads onto a conversation I had with Nath about barra moving in pods? I wont say schools, because I dont think the dam fish congregate like that, but small groups of fish travelling together, or working available bait?

Yep ..... Feel the same way - specially big girls ( probably got released together..... & stayed as a pack)

You could be fishing for an hour casting to one area & then all the sudden bang 3 or 4 hits in a row - you might get a fish or 2 then nothing .......... had that happen a few times now

Chris

Whitto
09-02-2009, 07:23 PM
Which leads onto a conversation I had with Nath about barra moving in pods? I wont say schools, because I dont think the dam fish congregate like that, but small groups of fish travelling together, or working available bait?On the other hand Boys during the Aussie w/end we saw in a number of spots up in H where groups of Big Barra 5/6 sitting in 30' sunk down a Doozer with no reaction....so they certainly gather and I guess they feed together when they are good and ready...travel together I don't know

darylive
09-02-2009, 07:30 PM
On the other hand Boys during the Aussie w/end we saw in a number of spots up in H where groups of Big Barra 5/6 sitting in 30' sunk down a Doozer with no reaction....so they certainly gather and I guess they feed together when they are good and ready...travel together I don't know

A bit like the Mob Whitto, don't always travel together but gather together now and again in the same place for a feed and a drink. ;D