PDA

View Full Version : Far Offshore Fishing Report - Fiji & Wahoo Action!!!

Dogman76
06-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Time for another report from Adrenalin Charters Fiji from the past 2 weeks.

The flooding in Nadi has gone now, leaving some damage to the main street and to a lot of the local's houses but Denarau Island has been left relatively untouched. There is very low occupancy here at the moment, and some amazing deals for flights and accommodation - I have never seen cheaper packages being advertised and basically everyone is gettng free room upgrades and having the place to themselves. It is only a 3hr flight from Brisbane, tke the kids out of school or get some boys together for an absolute bargain. PM me if you want some recommendations of where to stay in Fiji...

We used the downtime to repower our 3700 Kevlacat with new Yanmar 370's and she is running like a dream now. The floods took a lot of debris out and that has formed huge aeas of flotsam in the current lines, some which are football fields in size. One of the boys put on a snorkle and mask and jumped in under to see what was hapening there and apparently saw millions of bait fish being ripped to shreads by Mahi Mahi with huge Marlin down low. I am about to buy a tow cam camera with tag pole mount to be able to grab some of these underwater shots...

Of course trolling green and purpe lures picked up a good feed of Mahi Mahi - always appreciated and gave our clients a good show. A good sized Marlin was hooked on the outskirts of the flotsam on a small live bait (bite sized yellowfin) which gave a great fight on 15kg. We chased it down, got a tag in and released to end a great charter for our clients.

Yellowfin are also around, as well as heaps of Wahoo!!!! Fiji is famous for it's Wahoo around the reefs and seamounts, and you can pick up a world record here on light tackle if you are patient enough and heaps of leaders for all the bust off's. We got a reasonable one which gave plenty of food for the villagers.

We also did an overnight charter on Opulence, our 51 enclosed Riviera up into the islands, and stayed the night at Modiriki Island, where the movie 'Castaway' with Tom Hanks was filmed. The island is still uninhabited and is the most amazing, beautiful place in the world. It's not far from Denarau and a great day trip as you can keep the family (wife!!) happy with a day with the family, and troll for XXOS Spaniards up there, go for a swim, etc and pop for GT's around the reefs in this most magnificent part of the world.

Anyway hope the fish are biting in your part of the world, email me on ben@adrenalinfiji.com if you need any more details on this great part of the world.

Moce Mada (Goodbye Mate)

Ben

aussiefool
06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
Mate some Horsome fish there, loved the report great read, keep up the good work
Aussiefool
Andrew

roydsy
06-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Top report thanks for enticinement to Fiji... would love to go some day

roydsy

Pete62
06-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Great report Ben, thanks for sharing. Glad u got out of the flooding with little damage. Mate, I LOVE the picture of the Riv in front of the island, post card stuff.

Cheer's Pete.

tailorboi99
06-02-2009, 04:00 PM
That's an awesome report mate good fish. Lovely picture of the marlin too :O

Tom

Benno1
06-02-2009, 07:27 PM
love that marlin piccie!!!
great report...we went too Fiji 4 years ago...on a cruise...Mr Benno was a bit disappointed we didnt/couldnt do any fishing...next time tho...very decent dollies...i bet they gave you a run for your money :D
cheers for the piccies and report DM... :D

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

capt
07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Always a great report Ben................when I can piss these crutches off I will email you............in the mean time keep em coming

cheers Jimmy

gillogs
08-02-2009, 07:13 AM
awesome report,great backyard to play in......cheers gillogs