PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on TABS bowrider

henno
05-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm after some opinions from fellow members please. I was looking to buy a Quintrex bowrider 560 that was factory reinforced to take a 135 optimax. The boat would primarily be used to fish Lake Macquarie with some offshore work too. However my fishing mate(wife) wants some creature comforts and the family want to do some social skiing - so a bowrider. Looking at the comments of many contributors to this forum I have gone off the Quintrex idea and I am looking at a 5.45 TABS bowrider with a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke from a dealer in Narrabeen - looks like an absolutely great boat. I have a choice of Boeing trailer with skids or a Mackay trailer with multi rollers. Would appreciate any opinions on boat/motor combo ie Quintrex versus TABS and size of motor and which trailer please?

Blackened
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
G'day

Tabs have a great name, and with that kind of HP, will be ample.

IMO, considering it's built the same with bracing, wheels, lights, brakes and the like, go the skidded trailer.

There's only one way to find out if it's for you, go for a spin, and take the wife.

Dave

henno
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks Dave

ausandy
05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
henno, check out TABS other brand....... seascape boats

vini79
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Tabs ae good boats, however you would get a better ride out of a quintrex or stacer bowrider in that size.
take them for a test and compare for yourself.
I know which way i would go

also, alloy boats are better off with skidded trailers.

henno
06-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Is there a difference in quality between TABS and Seascape boats?

GAD
06-02-2009, 05:56 PM
buddy, I love my 5m TABS bowrider got a 115 Suzy pushing her , go out to the reef all the time , great boat and always feel safe looks good to even after nearly 3 years she still gets compliments . I looked at quintrex and Stacer and couldn't rate them as close and they were more exspensive ,my opinion .

henno
06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks GAD. I'm going for a test ride in one on Monday and the weather should be a bit bumpy in Sydney by then! I have really only read one poor comment about the brand of boat and that it is its handling in a following sea - have you any comments re the handling?

aqua rat
07-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Tabs ae good boats, however you would get a better ride out of a quintrex or stacer bowrider in that size.

Oh dear me i take it you have not been for a ride in a TABS going by those comments i sold my stacer to buy a TABS 5.35 side console and belive me there is big different in ride the tabs is 4m plate all round which is heavier and also a different grade of alloy a stronger grade. with 16 deg dead rise and a much bigger beam its a lot stable then a 6m offshore i have spent a lot of time in and a better ride. It also has a much longer warranty then both boats i have refered too.

megafish71
07-02-2009, 11:42 AM

Fair dinkum, you have got to be kidding. If you believe that Telwater tincans ride better than a Tabs you need to go give yourself an uppercut. :P

Ron

charlieash
07-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Tabs has the traditional flat plate bottom where as seascape have a pressed plate bottom .Tabs has the traditional plate stringers and gussets and seascape have ribs i beleive seascape are allso now coming out with stringers both have 4mm bottoms and i think you can up grade them to 5mm .Both are great boats the tabs maybe marginaly stronger . the seascape will plane easyer and may handle better because of the pressings in the hull .Both are leauges above quintrex for offshore work

henno
07-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Has anyone got a comment about the handling of TABS in a following sea though?

henno
12-02-2009, 08:09 AM
Just thought I would announce that I have my TABS on order!!! I went for test ride on Sydney's Pittwater. It was a great day for a test as there was a stiff southerly blowing and quite a large wind chop - what a ride!!!! The 150 yammie had us doing 80km/hr and it was as smooth as! I just can't wait to get my hands on it now! My next big choice is the GPS/sounder combo. I am choosing between the new Lowrance HDS7 and the Raymarine A70D - any opinions?

backlash08
12-02-2009, 08:28 AM
congrats on ordering the new toy, they are a nice boat, re sounder GPS, personally I wouldnt go a combo, been there and done that and I find single units better not only from a reliability but also ease of use and vision, IMO get the best sounder you can afford and if that means you need to comprimise, go for a cheaper GPS but that is just my view
good luck with it
Craig