PDA

View Full Version : New Formosa

Mindi
05-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Nw Formosa 5.5 Tomahawk, dont know much about it yet but self draining and sounds like proper plate..?

1lastcast
05-02-2009, 08:54 AM
Nice looking boat , i don`t mind the formosa boats i had one of the c/console years ago and only changed manufaturers for a bigger boat ! the self draining deck will be a definate advantage !

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I've got a bit on info at home on it, I will try and post it up after work. The Tinny Shack emailed it to me after I enquired about getting an AMM in a similar layout built through them, but they also gave me this info, great little package for the dollars, built stronger than your standard formosa. I can't remember all the features, but will put them up later. All I know it the tinny shack have one, totally fitted out ready to go for about 48k

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh I should mention that its max hp is 150 i think, the one at the tinny shack has a 135 honda on the back so it should get up and boogie nicely

levinge
05-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Scott the 135hp Honda really does fly, she pushes my Formosa with ease, just ask Matt HEHEHEHEHE

Mindi - the Tomohawk does look the part, love the new bow design, should be a pretty dry boat for a Centre Console, definitely will chew up the chop. Formosa have done it again with innovation, especially with the market the way it is. Although I would be ditching the single axle and plugging a Dual axle under it, more support and a better ride for the boat when towing!!

They are lucky that, in the industry, their primary buisness is metal fabrication and the Formosa Build is just a small part of their business model. Smart boys down there. Thats why they can also customize you rig for you if you want something unique and special they will make it happen...

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 10:28 AM
I just remembered a few tidbit from TTS. Is a sealed alloy deck with carpet, it has a front casting deck LOA is 5.65m, beam is 2.3/2.4 i think. 5mm hull, 4mm sides, 5-6mm pod, floor is 4mm i think, plus extra longitudinual braces, I think hull weight is around 600-700kg 7.5m length on trailer too

FNQCairns
05-02-2009, 10:36 AM
Nice looking boat but if that pic reflects the shoulders entry dead rise fairly, it will be a right painful ride in seas larger than .4m in comparison to the previous models I would assume. 0.8m seas and game over I would predict.

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah, its the same deadrise as the other formosa's so ride should be similar

Mindi
05-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Not avail under 5.5M apparently

FNQCairns
05-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Well that's at least partly good! with what the shoulder deadrise will do to green water compression, the ride would start to smooth out at 8m long and inboard.

I think I know what they where trying to achieve but they tipped the scales too far in the wrong direction for length at 5.5m IMO.

cheers fnq

levinge
05-02-2009, 11:50 AM
Hard to say if the ride would be hard without wet test the boat, might surprise.

They definitely went in a slight different direction to the rest of their stable, but who knows, like any they may be in the right direction, but just needing some refinement. At 48K for a package like that, I think it will still attract alot of attention with those who have that kind of budget.

No judgement till I see one on the water..

My Formosa has 15 Deg deadrise and it just chews up the all conditions, alot of that has to do the big thick keel runner that starts at the bow sprit and runs all the way under the boat. This is the first point of contact to any swell and acts like a hammer breaking the water in front, the rest of the boat just follows through..

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I've been invited for a test run by Carla but the only way I'm geting there at the moment is by boat

levinge
05-02-2009, 01:09 PM
We got a spare kayak TIC

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I was just speaking to Carla again today about this boat. Apparently the Tomohawk is the brain child of the tinny shack and they've been in consultation with various builders about it for the last 2 years. Formosa were the winners outright presenting a very good package for an even better price compared to the other builders. I'm getting the specs and a few more photo's emailed to me today.

Formosa will be making this as part of their standard line up and will also be offering a 6.1m version as well. but from what Carla has said its exactly what I'll be looking for when I hopefully put my order in. There's a big waiting list for people to take a test run, many from Townsville, so they're expecting the one they have onsite to move pretty quickly. It's main point of sale is that it is a much stronger build than the standard formosa, built for the fishermen who wants to head wide but also allowing for maximum fishability in creeks.

I hope I'm not coming across too gungho on selling it though, I'm just excited that I've potentialy found the ideal rig for me pending a water test. Only thing I'd change would be the console would be moved aft a few feet.

levinge
05-02-2009, 02:08 PM
I dare say, if you ask them, they might accommodate you.

So you'll be joining the Formosa Club, good to see!!!!

Leave the propping up to Dean, he has all the knowledge of what will fit best!!!

When are you looking at making the deal???

Scott nthQld
05-02-2009, 02:53 PM
not for a while yet brett. Things, being as slow as they are at work. I'm not sure whether or not they will keep us open, even though after all expeses and overheads are paid that we incurr (wages, lease, maintenance etc), we save the company a few million a year in transport costs. Probably won't be until early next year at the earliest, but realistically looking at mid 2010. Don't want to go into too much debt if things go belly up for me anyway, I just want to make sure my job is secure first and/or that there is plenty of other work around which is unlikely considering all the current mining layoffs etc.

Also heard some interesting news about Razerline which I was also looking at......The Tinny Shack are refusing to take orders from customers for new boats built by them, take from that what you like.

Mindi
05-02-2009, 03:16 PM
not for a while yet brett. Things, being as slow as they are at work. I'm not sure whether or not they will keep us open, even though after all expeses and overheads are paid that we incurr (wages, lease, maintenance etc), we save the company a few million a year in transport costs. Probably won't be until early next year at the earliest, but realistically looking at mid 2010. Don't want to go into too much debt if things go belly up for me anyway, I just want to make sure my job is secure first and/or that there is plenty of other work around which is unlikely considering all the current mining layoffs etc.

Also heard some interesting news about Razerline which I was also looking at......The Tinny Shack are refusing to take orders from customers for new boats built by them, take from that what you like.

Same position as you Scott and not being the most patient person in the world the wait is killing me. Just cant make the commitment until more financially confident. Even then wont be doing the Tomahawk but the standard boat...more than strong enough for me.

Scott nthQld
10-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Found a few more pics of the new formosa. one that I especially like is the one of the transom, looks like a deeper V than the standard formosa?

Scott nthQld
10-02-2009, 12:55 PM
hmmm pictures didn't work. Oh well, here's a link:

http://coastalpowerboats.boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/boats-for-sale/details.aspx?R=6605421

it takes you to boatpoint, but at least you get a decent view of the transom arrangement

levinge
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
HMMMMM Rear end is a bit more radical than the standard Formosa, just looked at mine and I couldn't even comment on what the ride would be like, but knowing Formosa (and the designer) she will be more suited to FNQ than the southern oceans.

I guess the proof will be in the wet test and Scott will let us all know...

Scott nthQld
10-02-2009, 06:00 PM
yeah hopefully I can get up there over the next couple of weeks. Roads are due to open back up anytime now, but I'd like to give a bit of time for them to patch up any caverns that would've opened up

levinge
10-02-2009, 10:30 PM
wonder how all the new roadworks south of Tully held up, even bets that most of it was washed away, new tar and not a long time cured either!!!!