PDA

View Full Version : False Floor frame fixing to floor ribs

BaitThrower
05-02-2009, 07:26 AM
Need some ideas on designs to fix false floor frame to tinny floor ribs.

Would like to use aluminium angle to make up the frame and rivet it to the ribs using ally pop rivets (to avoid corrosion or electrolysis issues etc. Anyone done this and can post some pics or specs of material needed for adequate strength?

Want to do it all myself and avoid any ally welding to the boat floor (which I'd have to get someone else to do). Have all tools etc needed for the job etc.

Noelm
05-02-2009, 08:22 AM
how I made mine, although it did take some time and added some weight was, I got some treated pine in various widths and cut pieces shaped to the ribs, so each rib had a Pine "upright" the full width of the Boat, I then screwed a piece along the top (recessed in to keep the top flat) to stop them moving and put Ply on top, then carpet, been like it now for 8 years, might be a tad tricky if it is a very deep V though, mine was only moderate and very easy! I hope you get what I mean.

finga
05-02-2009, 09:47 AM
On mine the weight is mainly supported from the keel and the sides are just to take the 'sway' or rock out of the floor.
I welded mine to front and back ribs but rivets would do the same job as well.
The RHS and angle frame was welded up though and basically just sits there with a couple of welds holding it all together.
Hopefully you can see the superstructure in the 1st picture.
The deck on the front also has fully welded frame but was sikaflexed and pop riveted in and I reckon it's a better option then the welding.
Last pictures are of floor in which can just be lifted out for cleaning or for the getting out of lost sinkers and yabbi's
Gees, just noticed the last 2 pictures are not of my boat but another one I put a floor in. Of well...basically the same except for the shape of the boat ...and owner ;)

BaitThrower
05-02-2009, 10:38 AM
how I made mine, although it did take some time and added some weight was, I got some treated pine in various widths and cut pieces shaped to the ribs, so each rib had a Pine "upright" the full width of the Boat, I then screwed a piece along the top (recessed in to keep the top flat) to stop them moving and put Ply on top, then carpet, been like it now for 8 years, might be a tad tricky if it is a very deep V though, mine was only moderate and very easy! I hope you get what I mean.

I think so! Being a woodworker this would be easy for me to do. How did you secure the pine uprights to the ribs though or did it all just drop in neatly and just sit there unfixed?

BaitThrower
05-02-2009, 10:42 AM
On mine the weight is mainly supported from the keel and the sides are just to take the 'sway' or rock out of the floor.
I welded mine to front and back ribs but rivets would do the same job as well.
The RHS and angle frame was welded up though and basically just sits there with a couple of welds holding it all together.
Hopefully you can see the superstructure in the 1st picture.
The deck on the front also has fully welded frame but was sikaflexed and pop riveted in and I reckon it's a better option then the welding.
Last pictures are of floor in which can just be lifted out for cleaning or for the getting out of lost sinkers and yabbi's
Gees, just noticed the last 2 pictures are not of my boat but another one I put a floor in. Of well...basically the same except for the shape of the boat ...and owner ;)

Thanks finga... Looks like in first picture you have three RHS sections running bow to stern yes? This is a different method and worth looking at if it would suit my tinny. Could be easier to do then running support from side to side across the ribs. I assume the RHS is ally? If so, what thickness did you use?

Noelm
05-02-2009, 10:45 AM
all I did was cut the "big" members to fit the ribs, then a bit of stuff full length along the top and a couple of small "chocks" were added where the timber fitted on top of the ribs, and just extended a bit less than the depth of the ribs so they did not touch the hull, one at the front and one at the rear, it was pretty easy really, and the whole thing can be taken out fairly easy, unscrew the ply, then lift out the floor "bearers" worked a treat, you might even be able to make them out of Marine Ply if you are so inclined, just make up a template of each rib and cut with a Jig saw.

foxx510
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hijack, but any chance of a few shots of the tank support up the front there? Gotta move ours one day soon, any ideas would be helpful. Looks like it might be hanging in a sling arangement?

finga
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks finga... Looks like in first picture you have three RHS sections running bow to stern yes? This is a different method and worth looking at if it would suit my tinny. Could be easier to do then running support from side to side across the ribs. I assume the RHS is ally? If so, what thickness did you use?
yep, 50X25 RHS with 2mm walls.
The middle one has little posts to the keel and are all welded.
The angle is flat across the RHS and one side sticking up.
This stop the floor moving length wise in the tiny tinny.
I also put a HUGE hole the back cross-member to allow water to get out easy.
All the alloy came from the scrapey so he might be worth a bit of a sticky beak.

The floor in the boat that wasn't mine I made timber ribs that sat on top of the alloy boat ribs and the floor was just screwed on top of the timber ribs... but I put some gussets in the take out lateral movement and to strengthen the timber ribs to floor joins.

finga
05-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hijack, but any chance of a few shots of the tank support up the front there? Gotta move ours one day soon, any ideas would be helpful. Looks like it might be hanging in a sling arangement?
Yep, the tank is in a sling. It's just some sheeting I had folded up into a big U sort of arrangement that's welded onto the framework.
I cannot get any pictures of the setup as the boat is at the other house and I ain't. Sorry :-[

foxx510
05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
No worries, thanks finga.