PDA

View Full Version : The Barra fisherman,( the old styles and new )

Tropicaltrout
04-02-2009, 08:20 PM
There has been so much discussion on here about the styles, methods and the list goes on and on....

So in one sentence only what is the one thing above all others that is the best bit of info or catching method you have learnt over the vast amount of years between all of us?

I possibly will get drilled on this one but as a whole flickers, trollers and any other method all have some simularities in what we look for into catching a barra.

So yep one sentence

" Watching the wind direction for the week leading up to a trip"

have fun with this one fellas

Nath

BR65
04-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Persistance will become your new best friend!

BR65
04-02-2009, 08:55 PM
You cant be to quiet!

Steve B
04-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Casting - Slow everything down and do it quietly
Trolling- shallow water and lures and do it quietly.

Dick Pasfield
04-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Despite all the advances the most lethal barra outfit still comprises of a 200lb hand line, a 12/0 hook and a one kilo mullet.

Hardb8
04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't really class myself as a Barra fisherman so to speak,But for what it's worth.....I'd go with probably the oldest,Yet most overlooked............Find their foodsource.

It applys to all things fishy.;)

Cheers. B8.:)

Whitto
05-02-2009, 07:13 AM
In one sentence you say Nath.....HHHhhhhmmmm, Yu'all (God Damit) have mentioned processes which are necessary to attempt to catch Barra....At the end of the day LUCK plays a big part in this process...if the Barra's not interested you might as well whistle Dixie....Of course you can increase your chances by fishing in peak period's.....Early am/ Late pm.......and offer something different in the lure department.......Now Im depressed;D

NAGG
05-02-2009, 07:29 AM
Plastics ......... there you go Nath - 1 word:D

To elaborate ...... My barra results improved massively when I moved from fishing HBs to the soft stuff......... The versatility & water coverage makes them difficult to ignore.

Chris

Pazz01
05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Slow retrieve when flicking lures, plastics.

robersl
05-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Reach for a drink or a piece of cake while the lure is in the water works every time or have a pee

Shane

Peter4
05-02-2009, 09:38 AM
"Trust your instincts not your sounder!"

We have often caught barra in very 'fishy' spots where nothing is showing on the sounder but there is bird/bait activity, weed beds, good temps and current flow.

We have also persisted in other spots for no result just because we can see fish on the sounder......

Awoonga
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
"Trust your instincts not your sounder!"

We have often caught barra in very 'fishy' spots where nothing is showing on the sounder but there is bird/bait activity, weed beds, good temps and current flow.

We have also persisted in other spots for no result just because we can see fish on the sounder...... KINDA HALF RIGHT....if you are fishing weed beds or banks yes you dont want to see fish on the sounder

Peter4
05-02-2009, 01:21 PM
KINDA HALF RIGHT....if you are fishing weed beds or banks yes you dont want to see fish on the sounder

Better to be 'KINDA HALF RIGHT' than completely wrong......;)

eureka
05-02-2009, 02:49 PM
watch the water and you will see the fish turn on.

Barraboss
05-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Get off the computer and onto the water

Cheers
Matt

aussiebasser
05-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Trolling "Rogue Traders" LOUD

Steve B
05-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Trolling "Rogue Traders" LOUD

Love it, Must be the funky beat that does it;D Although if Natalie Basthingwaite wanted to come trolling with me it would be hard to kick here out!!;)

rc@hinze
06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Relax your mind -" get in the zone"

chewy01
06-02-2009, 10:02 PM
The single biggest change/advancement for me has been using braided line,back in theday baiting and trolling for barra it was always was that a hit or not...now in oth fresh or salt at least i can give myself an uppercut when iv been too slow to strike on a fish.That and spending some time with a bloke learning to differentiate between turtles/weed/smaller fish on the sounder and barra. It appears to me one of the most underutilised tools in the impondments is the sounder/fishfinder apart from telling the temperature.Barra,especially larger ones are easily recognisable on a sounder so why not fish where they are i reckon..even colour sounders go ok in the fresh hey ben :):)

Tropicaltrout
07-02-2009, 05:18 AM
Love it, Must be the funky beat that does it;D Although if Natalie Basthingwaite wanted to come trolling with me it would be hard to kick here out!!;)

Oh yeah Natalie would be welcom to come in my boat and use my rod anytime:-X

nipsta
07-02-2009, 06:33 AM
yeah i would be happy to take her trolling that is for sure she is hot as
and i sure she could sing the fish to the top

NAGG
07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Oh yeah Natalie would be welcom to come in my boat and use my rod anytime:-X

Use or abuse ;D Yeh baby :P

nipsta
07-02-2009, 07:37 AM
so what this piking on the bash hey typical cockaroach if i dont turn up at least i have a decent reason and not cause blame poor old whitey thats ok well catch up at the muster i say

NAGG
07-02-2009, 12:08 PM
so what this piking on the bash hey typical cockaroach if i dont turn up at least i have a decent reason and not cause blame poor old whitey thats ok well catch up at the muster i say

Gotta blame someone ;D ..... but seriously his arrival time cocked it up for us!
No doubt that we will catch up before the Muster ......... :)

Chris

Kayak1
07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
My oneliner would be "Get yourself a time machine" cause the cry is always 'you shoulda been here yesterday'.
Another one would be "Fish plenty and often"

Cheers,
Steve.

Whitto
07-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Gotta blame someone ;D ..... but seriously his arrival time cocked it up for us!
No doubt that we will catch up before the Muster ......... :)

ChrisThis is precisely why Mighty Whitey has more often than not an ever so slight edge over you Chris in the catching Dpt....even after tying his knots and attaching his leaders.....IT'S GOD'S WAY of looking after him for taking one for the Team......I'm guessing we'll meet before the Muster or something is very wrong::)

NAGG
07-02-2009, 07:33 PM
This is precisely why Mighty Whitey has more often than not an ever so slight edge over you Chris in the catching Dpt....even after tying his knots and attaching his leaders.....IT'S GOD'S WAY of looking after him for taking one for the Team......I'm guessing we'll meet before the Muster or something is very wrong::)

One for the team ::) I baby him ;D
- gunna catch up with him tomorrow after I off load the Kids ....... I've gotta make sure he packs some gear ........ you know , the little things - like lures , plastics , leader , jig heads ;)

Yes mate , well catch up well before the muster ........ I can see a trip around Easter or Anzac day8-)

Chris

2manylures
07-02-2009, 10:16 PM
There has been so much discussion on here about the styles, methods and the list goes on and on....

So in one sentence only what is the one thing above all others that is the best bit of info or catching method you have learnt over the vast amount of years between all of us?

I possibly will get drilled on this one but as a whole flickers, trollers and any other method all have some simularities in what we look for into catching a barra.

So yep one sentence

" Watching the wind direction for the week leading up to a trip"

have fun with this one fellas

Nath

I don’t believe this question should be species specific as all fish act in a similar manner!
As already mentioned, find the food source {dietry appropriate on the day} and you’ll find the predators.
Often the most difficult tasks for the angler is to determine the particular species menu on any given day, where in most instances can vary from 3 or 4 dishes to a smorgasbord..
Being able to understand & determine the menu on a given day can be the difference between a good bite & a hard bite [as is often referred too] Emulating the menu with artificials is another story!
Unfortunately you’ve asked a question that can’t be answered with a one line response, fishing is much more complex.

Colo77
07-02-2009, 10:27 PM
You cant be to quiet!
that's 2 sentences.........:smartass:........sorry mate. (just started readin this thread)

BR65
07-02-2009, 10:41 PM
that's 2 sentences.........:smartass:........sorry mate. (just started readin this thread)

Ha, persistance and stealth mate, the sharpest arrows in my quiver;D

Colo77
07-02-2009, 11:08 PM
:undecided: What a corker of a question, the key thing for me is to "head out there with an open mind & a double dose of confidence & pay great attention to detail". I believe confidence & a positive attitude is the key, there will always be tough or extremely tough days / weeks / months (in life in general & fishin life) but these are also great opportunities to learn.

I have just started a fishin journal & i believe, after a few years, this will help me "pick" the tough times/good times & grow as an angler (wish i had started back on all my donut trips to weed out the crap times :lolk:) . In saying that, anytime is a good time to be flickin lures to the bank (or what have you) of my favourite impoundment, fish or no fish, especially when my boys are older & can handle extended periods on a boat & can share experiences with me should they grow to be like minded.....here's hoping!

Tight lines to all!

Colo77
07-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Ha, persistance and stealth mate, the sharpest arrows in my quiver;D
touche, 2 very important factors!;)

robersl
08-02-2009, 06:32 AM
If you see a swirl on top of the water throw to it

shane

Tropicaltrout
08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
I don’t believe this question should be species specific as all fish act in a similar manner!
As already mentioned, find the food source {dietry appropriate on the day} and you’ll find the predators.
Often the most difficult tasks for the angler is to determine the particular species menu on any given day, where in most instances can vary from 3 or 4 dishes to a smorgasbord..
Being able to understand & determine the menu on a given day can be the difference between a good bite & a hard bite [as is often referred too] Emulating the menu with artificials is another story!
Unfortunately you’ve asked a question that can’t be answered with a one line response, fishing is much more complex.

I got a new question, did you go to school? Get you head out your bum and read the the post its a personal query on you own method that you belive is the most important. Dietry appropriate for the day were did you learn that off the biggest looser?????

NAGG
08-02-2009, 06:23 PM
I got a new question, did you go to school? Get you head out your bum and read the the post its a personal query on you own method that you belive is the most important. Dietry appropriate for the day were did you learn that off the biggest looser?????

Based on one of the few posts that have been initiated by our mate .......... "Whats on the menu" ........ I'm really looking forward to the report & photos of his upcoming trip to Mondy & Awoonga:ears: .

Either 2Many will show us his general fish knowledge / prowess ........ or :oops: :clown: ......... my money is on the latter

The pressure is on ;D

Chris

2manylures
08-02-2009, 07:03 PM
I got a new question, did you go to school? Get you head out your bum and read the the post its a personal query on you own method that you belive is the most important.

“Dietry appropriate for the day were did you learn that off the biggest looser????? ..... THE SCHOOL OF FISHING IS A LIFE TIME OF LEARNING”

OK, my head’s out of my bum & yes I did go to school. I’ve also been fortunate enough to have fished with, been taught by & more importantly, learnt from many of Australia’s best anglers, some of whom are members of this site.

If you want to consistently catch fish you need to be aware of your targeted species diet and furthermore you must be prepared to utilise all fishing methods including bait, fly, trolling, jigging, surface, etc etc. If your pride and peer group pressure won’t allow you to do this then you as an angler will never fulfil your potential.

With so many different food sources in any of the many impoundments discussed on this forum, do you honestly think that Barra, Bass, Golden Perch, Murray Cod & even Bony Bream for example don’t vary their diet?

A switched on angler will know fish vary their diet as we do and adjust tactics accordingly.

Casting lures to shallow weedbeds when fish are deep, feeding on crustaceans will generally result in the proverbial doughnut & vice-versa????? Dragging lures under surface feeding fish has the same predictable result.

As you say “THE SCHOOL OF FISHING IS A LIFETIME OF LEARNING” but 1st you must learn and understand the basics.

Assuming you’re a C&R angler who keeps no fish, can I ask you a simple question?

When was the last time you stopped and asked one of the scumbags that kills your beloved Barra what was inside its guts?

Have you ever examined the stomach contents of a size appropriate fish? Yes there is a difference in what a 40cm fish will eat on a specific day opposed to a 90cm fish of the same species.

2manylures
08-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Based on one of the few posts that have been initiated by our mate .......... "Whats on the menu" ........ I'm really looking forward to the report & photos of his upcoming trip to Mondy & Awoonga:ears: .

Either 2Many will show us his general fish knowledge / prowess ........ or :oops: :clown: ......... my money is on the latter

The pressure is on ;D

Chris

And if you're wrong, then what?;D

Dick Pasfield
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
When was the last time you stopped and asked one of the scumbags that kills your beloved Barra what was inside its guts?

Fair go, that'd be me, only because they're yummy. The answer nothing, never found anything it the stomach of a barra

2manylures
08-02-2009, 07:51 PM
Fair go, that'd be me, only because they're yummy. The answer nothing, never found anything it the stomach of a barra

Nothing personal Dick, shoes only fit those who wear them!

Presumably you’ve asked some rather serious questions over the years

Tropicaltrout
08-02-2009, 08:45 PM
OK, my head’s out of my bum & yes I did go to school. I’ve also been fortunate enough to have fished with, been taught by & more importantly, learnt from many of Australia’s best anglers, some of whom are members of this site.

If you want to consistently catch fish you need to be aware of your targeted species diet and furthermore you must be prepared to utilise all fishing methods including bait, fly, trolling, jigging, surface, etc etc. If your pride and peer group pressure won’t allow you to do this then you as an angler will never fulfil your potential.

With so many different food sources in any of the many impoundments discussed on this forum, do you honestly think that Barra, Bass, Golden Perch, Murray Cod & even Bony Bream for example don’t vary their diet?

A switched on angler will know fish vary their diet as we do and adjust tactics accordingly.

Casting lures to shallow weedbeds when fish are deep, feeding on crustaceans will generally result in the proverbial doughnut & vice-versa????? Dragging lures under surface feeding fish has the same predictable result.

As you say “THE SCHOOL OF FISHING IS A LIFETIME OF LEARNING” but 1st you must learn and understand the basics.

Assuming you’re a C&R angler who keeps no fish, can I ask you a simple question?

Have you ever examined the stomach contents of a size appropriate fish? Yes there is a difference in what a 40cm fish will eat on a specific day opposed to a 90cm fish of the same species.

Well you are up there then fella, if by which you have been tought by the best and you know it all then fishing is going to be a sinch up there. Wernt you the one comparing a barra to a trout not so long ago???? and has never fished for barra to make that comparrison.

Mate as was said read the post it was a query on what you think was the best sentence that you could put together to increase your catch rate, not a story or parragraph, a sentence.

So as a ex guide whats a sentence you would tell a client to increase his chances of capture? Now that does not mean how to fish i could mean what to once a fish is hooked or what ever. Its a fun thing not serious thing Mr 2many is that ok with you.

2manylures
08-02-2009, 09:38 PM
So as a ex guide whats a sentence you would tell a client to increase his chances of capture?

Understand your targeted species dietrary requirements, learn how to find the said diet and you'll find the target.

NAGG
09-02-2009, 06:59 AM
And if you're wrong, then what?;D

I'll be the first one to congratulate your success & eat humble pie

Chris

Steve B
09-02-2009, 08:49 AM
[
Have you ever examined the stomach contents of a size appropriate fish? Yes there is a difference in what a 40cm fish will eat on a specific day opposed to a 90cm fish of the same species.[/quote]

Done it a few times at Awoonga, mostly redclaw...and often have had fishat Monduran purge boney carcasses.

Steve.

Interesting Dick, Why nothing I wonder? do you have any theories on that?? Nothing in their gut means they are either hungry, or they have a higher and faster metabolism in the salt due to increased excersise and workload and process every feed quicker....or do they regurgitate their contents during the fight??? Very interested to here you thoughts.

chewy01
09-02-2009, 08:59 AM
Gota agree with Dick here,back when i used to keep barra for a feed,i cannot remember ever finding anything in their stomachs. might be onto something there Steve,with the metabolism.Also iv been wondering if the barra diet in the dam is of a higher fat content than in the salt,leading to the higher fat levels in the barra and the lack of stamina.Do boneys have much fat??I imagine ducks n shags have a pretty high content..:)

Steve B
09-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Gota agree with Dick here,back when i used to keep barra for a feed,i cannot remember ever finding anything in their stomachs. might be onto something there Steve,with the metabolism.Also iv been wondering if the barra diet in the dam is of a higher fat content than in the salt,leading to the higher fat levels in the barra and the lack of stamina.Do boneys have much fat??I imagine ducks n shags have a pretty high content..:)

Just like humans...if you dont have to work hard or excersise, and have the luxury of sitting around all day with abundance of food on tap....you will get fat!.....the bait fish would be the same...they dont have to work too hard either....except run away from barra occassionally!!..my take on things...probably wrong.
Steve

Dick Pasfield
09-02-2009, 09:13 AM
Nothing personal Dick, shoes only fit those who wear them!

Presumably you’ve asked some rather serious questions over the years

Yes I understood the underlying intent of the question. As I've mentioned to you before your bedside manner is a touch rough around the edges. As a nurse you'd make a wonderful undertaker;)

PS Chewy I reckon they regurgitate during the struggle.

PPS in an attempt to get this back on track::) -

Fish when you can see the moon.

chewy01
09-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Hey steve,is it illegal to glue a hook to aduck n send him out for a swim?? :):)

robersl
09-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I was thinking the same thing as they are always trying to dislodge the lure by spitting them back out and leaping ect

shane

Peter4
09-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Yes I understood the underlying intent of the question. As I've mentioned to you before your bedside manner is a touch rough around the edges. As a nurse you'd make a wonderful undertaker;)

Ahhhh Dick, you are the soothing voice of moderation which was very much needed in this thread!:)

My mum is a bit like like 2manylures. She often wants to make a point and has scant regard for the impact some of her more than direct comments might make on others......

Her intentions are good but her method of communication leaves a bit to be desired. Must be a Victorian thing!;)

I think 2manylures has good intentions but needs to refine his approach in this forum. I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt - this time!......

Colo77
09-02-2009, 09:42 PM

PPS in an attempt to get this back on track::) -

Fish when you can see the moon.
Dick, I agreee with the fish when you can see the moon theory.

Sorry to stray off track again.....As fo the stomach conent of a barra, I often ponder but rarely keep 1 for the table, I recall last time i was out, 1 of the barra regurged a 60-70mm boney , my mate was fishin a very similar size slick rig & failed to draw any strikes, bumps or taps. However, I was using 130mm slick rig & getting constant hits, it wasn't until my mate changed to a 110mm sr that he started to get any attention, but still not as much as the 130's. I might try a TN60 jackall or vib next time to try & match the boney size & profile. :P Hopefully they're still chasin the same size boney's.

Dick Pasfield
09-02-2009, 10:02 PM
Colo I've kept lots of barras, some from the salt some from the fresh but only seen one fish with stomach contents that it promptly deposited on my deck >:(.

Having said the Murdoch Uni did a study up here that included checking barra's stomach contents (they found bony bream the be the most prevalent occupant. They netted the fish of a night) Pehaps fish in the net could not regurgitate???

To keep this on track :)-

The biggest impediment to having a good day is not being prepared for one.

darylive
10-02-2009, 06:41 PM

Now seriously Chew who is really chasing a fat shag?
let alone eat one?::)

darylive
10-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Love it, Must be the funky beat that does it;D Although if Natalie Basthingwaite wanted to come trolling with me it would be hard to kick her out!!;)

Steve, no doubt it wood be hard ::)

Now back to the thread: about the fish guts, perhaps they attacked the lure because they had an empty gut?

Hang on didn't tropical trousers start this? something about one liners?

I am with Dick (well I am not with child)

"HAVE A GO YA MUG!" you won't catch 'em on here.
and put some thought into it even if not a lot.

'Ask a local'

save time, learn from other peoples mistakes

Callop
10-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Steve, no doubt it wood be hard ::)

Now back to the thread: about the fish guts, perhaps they attacked the lure because they had an empty gut?

Hang on didn't tropical trousers start this? something about one liners?

I am with Dick (well I am not with child)

"HAVE A GO YA MUG!" you won't catch 'em on here.
and put some thought into it even if not a lot.

'Ask a local'

save time, learn from other peoples mistakes

awesome stuff Daryl. Right up there with the Mondy map alphabet.:LMAO:

Dave

A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE
13-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I really think it depends on what stage of digestion you actually hook/catch/ land a barra as to whether or not you are likely to find stomach contents. If a fish hasn't fed for a few days or more and you happen to intersect that fish on a feeding ground at the same time she intends to eat it is highly possible that your lure will be the number one first easy meal. The result- A barra with no food in its stomach. Considering we fine tune our learning over the years to be in the right spot at the right time in salt and fresh, this scenario is often the case.
On the other side of the swing is rocking up late on a tide, or after one or two days of awesome weather and water conditions that have allowed opportunity for barra to feed freely and willingly. We will find our lure being just another meal, and in this case a hooked fish often discards prior stomach contents during the fight. In this instance it can still be likely for a fish to keep the contents in place depending on the hook placement in the fish's mouth and how the angler applies force, soft or harsh.
I have found plenty of varied food items in salties from snapping shrimps, mangrove lobsters, prawns, crabs, flathead, bream, among the usual mullet, whiting, herring, silver biddies etc.
Lake barra often cough up anything from boney bream, gar, redclaw, shrimp, fly specked hardyheads etc etc etc. Depending on the weather cycles and water quality/chemistry it is also noteworthy that barra,,,,and other species will regurgitate on their own, hence why the oily 'spews' can be noted on a lake or river surface. You cannot mistake the pungent oily fish smell of 'spewed' dinner.
Johnny