PDA

View Full Version : 2 pak flotation

ColJacDak
04-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi, I have the transom out of my boat at the moment. Should i be filling under the floor with a foam of some description, Any advice is welcome, As if the boat was swamped i fear it would sink:-/

peterbo3
04-02-2009, 08:02 PM
CJD,
The two pak stuff tends to get out of control & will make any future under floor work difficult. The closed cell foam blocks are an easier way to go. Try Murphy's on the roundabout south of Magpies club. You need a cubic metre of floation to give you 1000 kg of buoyancy.

ColJacDak
05-02-2009, 04:51 AM
Hi Peter, How do you use these blocks, do you cut and fit them into areas of the hull or put them under the gunnels and are they water resistant, Thanks for your help

peterbo3
05-02-2009, 06:54 AM
CJD,
You cut the blocks to fit the various spaces you want to fill. Bit fiddly but you can easily remove them down the track. Wrap them in heavy black plastic (the type that does under concrete slabs), this will prevent any foam crumbs caused by blocks rubbing on the hull getting into your bilge.

Noelm
05-02-2009, 08:56 AM
remember foam does not supply anymore floatation than air, so unless the Boat was badly holed, then foam is going to do bugger all in the event of a swamping! and in fact over time, some foams become water logged and deter floatation.

Spaniard_King
05-02-2009, 10:14 AM
More to Noels post, adding foam will ad weight itself to the boat.

You may be better served finding any leaks and fixing them and ensuring you have some sealed compartments

business class
05-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I currently use the 2 Pac foam and would be the best stuff i have seen so far for floatation. Haveing every compartment sealed in a boat is near impossible, especially when there is not aloud to be not even a pin hole. Foam is a MUST for floation as even if you have fully sealed compartments, adding foam eases the mind! and if water does get in foam is there to keep you afloat. so yes foam is a must IMO, and it is with everyone i thought!

Cheers
Matty

brrbear
07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
use bouyancy foam suitable for survey purposes not the stuff that crumbles and fuel eats.
similar to boggy board foam it is easy to work with.
ps unless things have changed recently 2pac is not allowed for survey so I would check it out a bit more.
I used a 2pac product in the past and it eventually got waterlogged and started to eat at the allu.

business class
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
use bouyancy foam suitable for survey purposes not the stuff that crumbles and fuel eats.
similar to boggy board foam it is easy to work with.
ps unless things have changed recently 2pac is not allowed for survey so I would check it out a bit more.
I used a 2pac product in the past and it eventually got waterlogged and started to eat at the allu.

I don't know what sort of 2 pac foam you are refering to but as far as i am aware it sure is allowed for surveyed boats, as this is quite common product now.....