PDA

View Full Version : Transom mounting transducer on tinny

BaitThrower
04-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Hey all.

Looking to hook up a transducer on a tinny ont he transom (below waterline of course). I have only ever done these on glass boats before where you just drill through, apply heaps of sikaflex to seal the hole and screw the bracket on. These were always watertight and worked well.

How is it done on a tinny with regard to sealing the holes, and, more importantly, preventing corrosion from dissimilar materials... I don't think I can use aulminium rivets for this partiuclar bracket because of its shape (screws heads are buried into the bracket too far).

Advice please ::)

Blackened
04-02-2009, 03:12 PM
G'day

Exactly the same way, It's obviously painted hence the hesitation with stainless and alloy?

In that case, use 8g (or similar) bolts and lock nuts, washers to suit and some duralec, sikaflex to finish off the sealing

Dave

BaitThrower
04-02-2009, 03:48 PM
G'day

Exactly the same way, It's obviously painted hence the hesitation with stainless and alloy?

In that case, use 8g (or similar) bolts and lock nuts, washers to suit and some duralec, sikaflex to finish off the sealing

Dave

Its an oldy so looks not so important... but don't want a corrosion hole developing below the waterline obviously :)

finga
04-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Stick it to the floor from the inside under the rear seat with some neutral cure silicon.
Spaniard King taught me that one and it works OK.
What's the tinny and what's the sounder?

BaitThrower
04-02-2009, 05:04 PM
Sea Jay 4.3m... Its an older one but told it has a 4mm bottom.

Sounder is a Garmin 300C, although I may leave that one on my glass dinghy and look for a new one.