PDA

View Full Version : 60hp 4stroke Hydrofoils help please

ratbag's
04-02-2009, 02:16 PM
I have read through some of the hydrofoil threads, can anyone help specifically with this?

I have a 455 quinnie topender, yammie 60hp 4 stroke. I often fish in shallow water, less than 1 metre, when I motor along the boat back end digs in, will a hydrofoil help stop the "dig in" and get me up on the plain quicker? If I put on a stainless prop as well, will this make any difference.

Thanks for your comments.
Ratbag. :)

Scott nthQld
04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
if you fish regularly in shallow water, stick with an alloy prop, they don't last as long, but if you hit a submerged object, its cheaper to replace a prop than a gearbox, stainless, being considerably stronger is less likely to break or shear off in which case the next weakest link is likely to go...ie gearbox.

When you start off, have the motor trimmed in as far as it will go, this will get you up on the plane faster, once on the plane trim out to pick up a bit more speed. Try doing this first, no sense in spending money if you don't neccessarily need to. Trimming right in will give the bum a bit more lift when you take off as the rear of the prop will be slightly angled downwards.

i had the same problem, til I learnt to trim right in first up, now I get up on the plane in no time at all with the same engine behind a 4.8m quinnie.

SeaHunt
04-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah what Scott said and shift some more weight up the front if possible.

If you do go for a hydrofoil get a one piece one that wont flex, like SE Sport or Permatrim, either of these will cost a lot less than a Stainless prop.

I got a 60 4 st on a bigger boat than yours (475 Freedom Sport) , it OK unless I got like 4 people in it or a heap of gear.
I have had a SE Sport on it, but at the moment it is off and just lying around in the shed.
Makes a bit of difference but not dramatic.

rhycebullimore
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
you may struggle...its a 4 stroke...so you still may not get ther required holeshot even with the fin...the best bet is get a single piece (permatrim/Solas/or custom made fin) anodised aluminium or stainless...try it if still no luck then you will need to change prop (pitch) and a stainless may help but may not be enough to notice for the outlay.

ratbag's
04-02-2009, 04:33 PM
thanks guys, will try the trim on the w/e, and moving some load forward. will maybe look at the 1 piece hydrofoil and not the s/s prop.
tight lines. Ratbag.

black runner
04-02-2009, 07:18 PM
With the Topender (I assume its a tiller steer) all the weight is down aft so as the boys say you need to trim the boat level by adding weight up front. One of the best ways is to get a few water containers from Bunnings fill em up and stow them up forward. I use a selection of 10 or 20 litres (water is about 1kg/l) and leave them in the front of my 460 Stacer which also has a Yammie 60 4st. Great for trim and ride improvement and you've got water if you need it!

Cheers

Sheik
04-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah what Scott said and shift some more weight up the front if possible.

If you do go for a hydrofoil get a one piece one that wont flex, like SE Sport or Permatrim, either of these will cost a lot less than a Stainless prop.

I got a 60 4 st on a bigger boat than yours (475 Freedom Sport) , it OK unless I got like 4 people in it or a heap of gear.
I have had a SE Sport on it, but at the moment it is off and just lying around in the shed.
Makes a bit of difference but not dramatic.

Hey mate I'm after a sesport for my 60 merc. Had one on my 60 yammie and made quite a difference. Don't suppose you'd consider selling it if it's just lying around the shed? PM me if you're interested. thanks mate jim

Zooter
04-02-2009, 11:29 PM
I have 4.1 poly side console, 50 4stroke on the back!

Getting out of the hole it was like a dog until i fitted a SE300 sports foil,

Recomend it m8, for $109 from bcf it aint going to break the bank.

Know i can get up leaving the leg out with ease and can plan at lower rpm's.

stays up at around 3200rpm's now instead of 4000rpm's!

I would be going that way instead of looking around for another prop :)

Good luck!