PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Off Goldy

Goldfinch
04-02-2009, 12:18 PM
Not sure if it's just me but is it really quiet off the Goldy at the moment or what? Launched from Labrador at 5am yesterday, picked up some live bait SE of the seaway. Even that was a struggle. The charter boys seemed to be havin the same problem. Headed to 24's SE. Dropped some livies down under a massive bait ball several times and no hits at all. Tried yakkas, bonito and even dead pillies and not a touch. This also happened to me a week or so ago with a local who knows the area very well. He was somewhat confused as we had big slimmies as live bait.

Then went north along the 24's and tried a few drops and still nothing. Trolled a few lures between spots as well and nothing.

Anyone else got any thoughts as to why it's so quiet out there? Is there a fish dance I should be doing?

Cheers
dave

Angla
04-02-2009, 08:18 PM
Would be better for a fish in the next nine days

Try Try Again

Chris

Captain Seaweed
04-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Dave, I have felt your pain. Maybe with all the bait around fish are too fussy and full??

Marlin_Mike
05-02-2009, 05:48 AM
mate, I see the problem, it's in you're avatar piccy.

You are holding your tongue at the wrong angle................:P ;D

Allowing for daylight saving, the lunar eclipse, and the unseasonal winds, your tongue should be sticking more to the starboard side of your mouth.::) ;) :P

And as for a fish dance????? Yes there is one, I saw several try hards doing it last night on So You Think You Can Dance............ similar to the chicken dance but with the variation in tongue angle explained above.........:o ;D ;D :D

Ahhhh fishing, ya gotta love it dont you?

Mike

rubba
05-02-2009, 04:06 PM
moon is not right8-)

gawby
06-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Dave,

Every now and then i post we have been out and got nothing but i must say just lately the fish have seemed to shut down off the goldie.
I have been out 4 times now after mackeral and got none, I know of some who have been out chasing mackeral over a dozen times with no strikes.
I don't think it is you so don't feel bad.
As long as i get out there and floating around i am happy as it is great stress relief from being away from home for 5 to 6 days a week in my truck.
Graeme.

Goldfinch
06-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Graeme,
Glad to hear that I'm not alone then. Just thought it was strange to not get a hit when last year was such a bumper year. Here's hoping it picks up. I agree with the stress relief factor....not that I'm very stressed! Just love the ocean.

Cheers
dave

liltuffy
06-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Dave, have a look at the barometer, I'm buggered if I know how air pressure affects fish underwater but it does. Personally even if the winds are light and variable but the barometer is below about 1015 then stay at home, unless you just want to go for a run. I've found the fishing to be fair to horrible since about mid October when we have had consistent low barometric pressure. Remember the old saying "1020 fish a plenty"

Goldfinch
07-02-2009, 10:16 AM
That's why I love this site....because I always learn something new. Liltuffy, thanks for that hint. I had know idea that the barometric pressure affected fishing. I also have had very average catches since October. Wow.

Thanks !!!

dreemon
07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Yes I've heard about the low presure affecting the fish due to the ocean puting presure on the fish which gives the fish a false sence of being full, the higher "(up)" presure releases and makes the fish feel like filling it's guts,
just what I have heard, anyway sounds sensible :) , I'll try it next time and maybe I wont have to cut my steak into the shape of a fish

bugman
07-02-2009, 12:32 PM
I'll add to the poor catch rate. Managed a day off earlier in the week to hit the Tweed 9 mile and surrounds chasing a Spanish. 4 hours and never turned a real. The only fish witnessed being caught among the 6-8 odd boats was a pro who bagged a few mack tuna towing high speed slices way way way back behind his boat.

Also to mr pro - if you cut across in front of me with 200m of line out the back - don't bother waving again.

Brett

samson
08-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Plenty of fish out there the only problem is having gumbies run over them with their boats trying to hook up themselves, i've lost tuna, marlin, mackeral,gt's,kingy's all to idiots in boats in the last few weeks guy's have got to learn to find their own fish, the idiot that trolled over a jumping hooked up marlin the other day 30meters out the back of my boat trying to hook it took the cake or the idiot that trolled straight over a double on good spanish cutting off both needs a good education.

jjaaccee
08-02-2009, 05:06 PM
yeah a bit ordinary out there
spent 8hrs on the troll this morning out off the goldy and dident get a touch
bit messy out beyond 36 line

business class
09-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Plenty of fish out there the only problem is having gumbies run over them with their boats trying to hook up themselves, i've lost tuna, marlin, mackeral,gt's,kingy's all to idiots in boats in the last few weeks guy's have got to learn to find their own fish, the idiot that trolled over a jumping hooked up marlin the other day 30meters out the back of my boat trying to hook it took the cake or the idiot that trolled straight over a double on good spanish cutting off both needs a good education.

Argh don't you just love the people who see someone hooked up and think if they get close enough maybe there next....::) LOL. If you think this is bad, wait untill the Wahoo turn up in good numbers,::) then they get close enough to gaff the fish for you;) ;D . I think you might have an attractor to your boat mate!!!!!!:P :P

kokomo
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
was off the cape for the afternoon shift yesterday and not a touch either :(

frankgrimes
10-02-2009, 07:43 PM
yep same - Went for a troll this morn from 10-12 for not a touch, had plans to head to couran or mermaid, but late start, plus northly hitting earlier than expected scrapped those plans....cracked the shits and hit a tailor spot that always produces for a few chop chops for tea.

death_ship
10-02-2009, 09:08 PM
mate got 3 spanish today down there

outofcontrol
12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
mate got 3 spanish today down there

he ended up with 5

business class
13-02-2009, 11:02 AM
hope he had more then himself as the limit is 3 pp

plastic_paul
19-02-2009, 05:27 AM
north or south of the seaway?, we got a cople and a cobia before all this bad weather at palmie. looking at heading out tomorow, anyone else heading out?

frankgrimes
19-02-2009, 11:34 AM
north or south of the seaway?, we got a cople and a cobia before all this bad weather at palmie. looking at heading out tomorow, anyone else heading out?

Went out this morning - Trolled HB's @ Couran and back towards Seaway for zilch....would have loved to stay longer, but work beckoned.

plastic_paul
19-02-2009, 04:59 PM
bugger, might try mermaid or palmy, then head wide along current lines back up